Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Fender rolling advice? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/fender-rolling-advice-3338834/)

Freedo_Civegra 07-09-2019 08:29 PM

Fender rolling advice?

The car has an issue with my front wheels rubbing the fenders if I turn and hit a bump just right or if I hit a large enough dip in the road.

I don’t want everything-and-its-brother getting slang up in my fenders, so I see the necessity of having them but also have the need to flare the fenders, and it doesn’t look like I’d be able to reattach the liner properly correct.

For those of you who have rolled your fenders, what have you done with your fender liners/splash guards?

tony_2018 07-09-2019 08:33 PM

Re: Fender rolling advice?

damn, thought suspension was smooth as butter...

Freedo_Civegra 07-09-2019 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by tony_2018 (Post 51967882)
damn, thought suspension was smooth as butter...

It mostly is (99.999%), but I have this problem on occasion, mainly when turning in my driveway.

NVturbo 07-10-2019 02:55 AM

cut about 1" off at the edge of the liner and then roll the fenders

Freedo_Civegra 07-10-2019 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by NVturbo (Post 51967921)
cut about 1" off at the edge of the liner and then roll the fenders

Thanks, I’ll look into that.

White_EG1 07-11-2019 12:13 AM

I guarantee I’m lower than you and I still have fender liners in tact. You’re running too big of a wheel, or too much tire.

Freedo_Civegra 07-11-2019 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by White_EG1 (Post 51968783)
I guarantee I’m lower than you and I still have fender liners in tact. You’re running too big of a wheel, or too much tire.

They’re 16x7, but I have not measured the offset. They were something I got off a donor car and had painted that I put on.

Also, the tires are 205/45’s. They sit pretty much even with the rim.

White_EG1 07-11-2019 10:57 PM

If I’m not mistaken I think you have a Jswap. And the added weight, drop, 205’s, and 16’s could all be playing a factor here. IMO.

Freedo_Civegra 07-12-2019 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by White_EG1 (Post 51969515)
If I’m not mistaken I think you have a Jswap. And the added weight, drop, 205’s, and 16’s could all be playing a factor here. IMO.

Thank you for your advice. It really feels like you have a good bit of expertise here. And yes there’s a good bit of weight on the front here, and I had to sandwich some exhaust manifold flanges between the strut mounts and shock towers on the front. Yeah, that’s weird, but it works. Just ask the ladies how much a difference 1/2” can make.

Im a bit afraid of running 15’s, because I don’t know which ones will clear my super awesome prelude brake calipers. So, 16’s it is. Lol

Freedo_Civegra 07-12-2019 12:21 PM

I found a set of different wheels locally that are 16x7 with a 40mm offset. Going to see how they fit.

DaX 01-09-2020 12:52 PM

What did you ever decide on this? I may be looking to roll the fenders on my EG. I'm running 15x7, 35 offset, 205/50/15 tires, and the edge of the tire juuuuust sticks out past the edge of the fender. Do you know if the Eastwood tool is the way to go?

tony_2018 01-09-2020 02:23 PM

Looks like he tried a different rim size.

Freedo_Civegra 01-10-2020 04:10 AM

Different wheel offset and spacers on top of the front struts. If I decide to lower the car, I'll roll the fenders and get wider wheels and tires for traction; but the way my driveway is is a big deterrent to lowering the car. Eastwood makes great tools, and that would be great.

Chance EG 01-10-2020 08:43 AM

I've never used an Eastwood tool to compare it to, but I've had a lot of success with my generic Amazon/eBay brand fender roller tool as well.

Most important thing to avoid damage to the fenders/quarter panels is just to go slow (slower than you think is necessary) and gradually increase the angle and sharpness of the wheel sitting against the fender. All it takes is one bad pass to get a dent or to "curl" the fender lip rather than flattening it.

DaX 01-10-2020 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chance EG (Post 52082454)
I've never used an Eastwood tool to compare it to, but I've had a lot of success with my generic Amazon/eBay brand fender roller tool as well.

Most important thing to avoid damage to the fenders/quarter panels is just to go slow (slower than you think is necessary) and gradually increase the angle and sharpness of the wheel sitting against the fender. All it takes is one bad pass to get a dent or to "curl" the fender lip rather than flattening it.

Cool - I was looking at the eBay / Amazon ones. Realistically this tool would likely just be used once, so if it can get me through doing it on my car, I'd be happy. I don't want to thread jack too hard, so I may send you a PM, @Chance EG , if I get around to doing it.