Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

faulty wastegate?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default faulty wastegate?

i posted this up in the forced induction section as well, but it takes a while to get answers in there, so i figured i would try in here as well, since i know many of you are turbo'd

so i recently purchased a turbo kit for my eg. im running as ls vtec and now have a 60 trim t3/t4 turbo set up i got from a homies shop. its not exactly name brand, but he has the kit on his car and its a decently good set up (and the price was awesome). so we did the install ourselves and i started the car and it was of course loud as hell since i was running open downpipe. i took it to the muffler shop and had them do a 2.5 set up all the way back.

so then i start the car when im about to leave there and its still loud as hell, but like i have an exhaust leak. so we take it home and start messing with it only to find out that the dump tube off of the wastegate is spitting air out of it all the time. now my understanding of a wastegate is that it is only supposed to open when the turbo spools more pressure than the spring inside is rated to handle, thus allowing you to run the psi you want (ie 8lbs). so it should be letting air out all the time right? i mean, especially not at idle.

so my motor shop (ls motorworks) tells me its a bad wastegate and to upgrage to a tial (which i planned on doing before tunning anyways) but i want to make sure its the waste gate and not something else.

since it was a cheaper kit it wouldnt suprise me if the wastegate is bad, and its warrentied anyways. i know you get what you pay for and all that.

but any help would be much appreciated!! thanks.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: faulty wastegate? (Pr0ject93hb)

Either the wastegate vacuum line is hooked up to the incorrect port or the wastegate is bad. Either way, you shouldn't be running a ****-brand wastegate, as it's the only physical barrier between you and a blown engine.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: faulty wastegate? (Pr0ject93hb)

At least it got stuck open rather than stuck closed right?