Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Faulty ECU?????

Old 01-29-2008, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Faulty ECU?????

OK guys, as you may or not know I have been taking in my car to the dealer for the extended warranty on emissions.I had recently got a CEL 20 and 91.Ok it seems that they have replaced the sensors and according to them fixed some pins that were in the wrong places.The codes are back same old ****.They said they ordered a ECU just in case.What are my chances of it being the ECU that's fried?Wouldn't it throw a CEL for the ECU?
Old 01-29-2008, 05:52 AM
HRD PKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Faulty ECU????? (mortificationrock)

The codes are for your electronic load detector, fuel tank pressure sensor

Here is where your fuel tank pressure sensor is, ask them if they replaced it?

The ELD is probably bad. The Electronic Load Detector basically monitors how much current the charging system is using so it knows how much to charge the battery. If there's a short, it creates a HUGE amperage draw and the PCM sets this code. But if you don't have any fuses blown, the ELD is likely the faulty part. It's not an uncommon failure, and there's alot of reports of those going bad. Honda has a TSB out on it and you can buy the ELD separately, but you'll likely have to go to Honda for the part.

Where did you take the car to? What makes them think the ecu is bad?
Old 01-29-2008, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Faulty ECU????? (B16B_coupe)

If EVAP and IAT are crossed then ECU goes bye bye. If they didnt mention those then more then likely its not your ECU. But if they ordered the ECU and they say something is crossed they are going to charge you for that ECU and thats a nice 700 dollar bill. I suggest getting your hands on a friends and see if it is the ECU. Also open it up and see if anythings fried.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Faulty ECU????? (B16B_coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16B_coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The codes are for your electronic load detector, fuel tank pressure sensor

Here is where your fuel tank pressure sensor is, ask them if they replaced it?

The ELD is probably bad. The Electronic Load Detector basically monitors how much current the charging system is using so it knows how much to charge the battery. If there's a short, it creates a HUGE amperage draw and the PCM sets this code. But if you don't have any fuses blown, the ELD is likely the faulty part. It's not an uncommon failure, and there's alot of reports of those going bad. Honda has a TSB out on it and you can buy the ELD separately, but you'll likely have to go to Honda for the part.

Where did you take the car to? What makes them think the ecu is bad?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I took it to a Honda dealer.I know what the codes are but when I took it to them they first re-pined some pins that they said were in the wrong places.Im guessing they had to do with the CELs.Yesterday they replaced the Fuse Box and Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor,trust me I checked for myself but they said the light came back on ,on them.So they reset it again I took it home and today as I was going home bam CEL.I checked for codes and they are the same ones.Yesterday the dealer tech said they ordred another ECU for me just in case that the pins that were in the wrong places might have short out the ECU.What do you think?
Old 01-29-2008, 06:08 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

What year, make, and model car is this?
Old 01-29-2008, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Faulty ECU????? (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If EVAP and IAT are crossed then ECU goes bye bye. If they didnt mention those then more then likely its not your ECU. But if they ordered the ECU and they say something is crossed they are going to charge you for that ECU and thats a nice 700 dollar bill. I suggest getting your hands on a friends and see if it is the ECU. Also open it up and see if anythings fried. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well the ECU is going to be replaced by Honda under Warranty.And as for what pins were crossed I have no idea.He said he hasn't checked all of them but the ones that had to do with codes were crossed somehow.He said they were a total of 4 wires.But my car doesn't seem to run funny except for mileage.Before he re-pinned anythinh my cars headlights and all electrical lights radio cluster etc.,use to flicker now they don't which is cool.But I guess im really hoping its the ECU since its free anyways.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Faulty ECU????? (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What year, make, and model car is this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its a 97 Civic EJ8.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:38 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Have they check the engine wiring harness just underneath the intake manifold?

TSB 99-029 - I'm sure they've covered this if they're all the way up to the PCM/ECU.

Anyways if it's free then more power to you!