Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

fast idle + white smoke after switching back to Gsr mani from Skunk2

Old 11-20-2007, 01:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fast idle + white smoke after switching back to Gsr mani from Skunk2

I REALLY need help with this guys. This is my last project with my civic before I give it to my mom.

I have a '97 JDM Gsr swap that I bought along with a skunk2 intake manifold and a Hondata IM gasket.

I just recently got a '00 Gsr and decided to swap over the IM ( along with the stock '97 jdm TB that i bored out from Maxbore.com ) from the Integra to the Civic. I swapped all the sensors over from one to the other except for the MAP sensor, because the screws are circular and I have no way of being able to remove them. I found out that the Civic was not wired for the IAB so I pinned the ecu myself. I plugged everything up to run and the first time I get lots of white smoke, a constant stream of it. I'm thinking that I must have spilled coolant in the intake mani but I'm getting a high idle @ 2.5k rpms then the car will bounce between 1k to 2k rpms.

I drove it down the street and at first it was acting smooth but then it started stuttering like it was misfiring and wanted to die whenever i got past 2.5k rpms

I'm going to try to get the air bubbles out of the coolant in the morning but I'm stumped, I'm to the point that I just want to slap the Skunk2 back on.

I'm getting codes too: P0108 & P1259

<FONT SIZE="4"><FONT COLOR="red">Updates:</FONT></FONT>

I fixed the multiple problems that existed

- First off, since this is a swap that started out from the jump with a Skunk2 IM, I never needed the IAB's to be wired up, and they weren't. I had to take care of that.

- I did a clutch change recently and had to disconnect my Vtec Oil pressure sensor. I never connected it back on AND at the same time I didn't touch that side of the engine when removing plugs for the IM change.....so I thought that I somehow had an extra plug. It was the exact same needed for the IAB so i cut it off....only later realizing that the plug i cut was my Vtec Oil Pressure Sensor..... That was the reason for p1259.

- Also, my swap had the Pcv chamber connected incorrectly, and I swapped that around....only to find out later I was sucking in large amounts of oil into my IM from the breather chamber. That was the reason I was surging idle and spitting out lots of smoke. It turns out that the tuner that did my swap used a Civic SI breather chamber that comes with 2 regular spouts ( one doesn't have a checkvalve to prevent oil from being sucked up! ). I let all the oil drain out of the IM and burned the rest, changed the Pcv chamber to a Gsr one with a checkvalve and that took care of my MAP sensor throwing code P0102.

So now I have no codes. No issues. Thank god. Now all i have to do is potentially swap out the suspension for this car with my new integra and I should be good to go.

Modified by FuNkDrSpOt at 12:40 PM 11/22/2007

Modified by FuNkDrSpOt at 12:41 PM 11/22/2007

Modified by FuNkDrSpOt at 12:41 PM 11/22/2007
Old 11-20-2007, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fast idle + white smoke after switching back to Gsr mani from Skunk2 (FuNkDrSpOt)

bump
Old 11-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fast idle + white smoke after switching back to Gsr mani from Skunk2 (FuNkDrSpOt)

cliff notes:

- Had a skunk2 IM on my civic swapped 1997 b18c

- left on the Hondata IM gasket

- Swapped in a stock IM and TB from my new 2000 Integra gsr

- Had to pin the ecu for the IAB. Used the Yellow/Black wire for the power.

- Started it up for the first time and it revved to 2.5k, then idled between 1k and 2k. White smoke wasn't constant, it would periodically puff out in large amounts.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So i figured it out. I think my PCV chamber is either filled with oil or it's hooked up backwards because the intake mani was filled with oil.

I took off the line from the PCV chamber to the intake mani and I don't idle surge or smoke anymore.

The funniest thing is the PCV chamber was hooked up backwards when i took my intake mani off. I then changed it to be hooked up exactly how my new Integra is and that's where the trouble probably started.