Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

FAST HELP NEEDED!!! CIVIC BACKFIRED AND NOW IT WONT START!!! please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAST HELP NEEDED!!! CIVIC BACKFIRED AND NOW IT WONT START!!! please help!!!

OK. It all happened like this earlier today.... I drove my 93 civic home from work. I ordered a silencer for my tanabe exhaust because it is so loud. So I get it, put it on and drove to a friends house. All is still well. I then started to leave my friend's house and the RPM's were acting a little funny when taking off (moving up and down like crazy between 0-30). So then, I get about 300 feet away and BOOM, the thing backfires and I start to feel like I am losing power. Then, the power comes back and it backfires again and I feel power loss right before it. Then I get to the house and I took it off. No avail...I was driving it a little bit more and it kept cutting off and backfiring even with it off. Also power losses. Now I get it back home (barely) and it only starts 1/2 of the time when I try to start it up and if it does start the RPM's gauge starts moving funny...like up and down.....Please tell me what it is....No engine lights are coming on either...I heard it could be a distributor and rotor problem or a catalytic converter problem. I have an AEM short ram intake, DC header, tanabe cat-back exhaust....Help Please!!!!
Old 04-11-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Re: FAST HELP NEEDED!!! CIVIC BACKFIRED AND NOW IT WONT START!!! please help!!! (DBLAZE)

someone could help..
Old 04-12-2005, 07:26 AM

Default Re: FAST HELP NEEDED!!! CIVIC BACKFIRED AND NOW IT WONT START!!! please help!!! (whitepoweredlsvtec)

Its OK, no one helped anyway... I did a search and figured out that it was a timing issue. The car is in the shop now getting tune up and timing re-done....also getting the valves adjusted just for good measure....
Old 04-12-2005, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAST HELP NEEDED!!! CIVIC BACKFIRED AND NOW IT WONT START!!! please help!!! (DBLAZE)

Yeah, it sounds like your timing belt slipped. Make sure the check the valves for bends, you could have had some piston to valve contact. Did it smoke any?
Old 04-12-2005, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: FAST HELP NEEDED!!! CIVIC BACKFIRED AND NOW IT WONT START!!! please help!!! (stealth civic)

Your ignitior took a **** on you. A tune up was needed anyway, just make sure they change that ignitior or else youll get the same problem before your next gas fill up.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAST HELP NEEDED!!! CIVIC BACKFIRED AND NOW IT WONT START!!! please help!!! (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your ignitior took a **** on you. A tune up was needed anyway, just make sure they change that ignitior or else youll get the same problem before your next gas fill up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

not necesseraly if his timing belt sliped. just check out the resitance at the ignitor with an ohm/voltage tester if you are worried about it.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:00 AM

Default Re: FAST HELP NEEDED!!! CIVIC BACKFIRED AND NOW IT WONT START!!! please help!!! (rextec)

yeah, I don't think that it needs a new ingition...
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stealth civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, it sounds like your timing belt slipped. Make sure the check the valves for bends, you could have had some piston to valve contact. Did it smoke any?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The car did poof out some dark/black colored smoke when it backfired...Does this mean that the piston had contact with the valve???
Old 04-12-2005, 08:43 AM

I just got a call from the shop and they are telling me that it is a fuel problem because there is no fuel going in....so I will keep you guys posted when they call me again and let me know what it is...
Old 04-13-2005, 12:00 PM

OK....I just got another call from the shop. My car is fixed. I needed a new fuel pump, a new distributor, ignition coil, Timing adjusted, oil changed, tune-up, and a valve adjustment... Terrible!!! All together I have to pay $800......That really sux....I could get another B-16 engine for that price....FFFFUUUUUCCCCKKKK
Old 04-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fixing **** is never cheap. And rarely you fix one problem. Look at it this way, atleast if it starts messing up again, you can blame it on the mechanic. Ah a NJ head, I'm in NJ most of the time.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:13 AM

Default Re: (Pikachu)

OK, I got the car back today and it runs LOVELY (It better run lovely for $800...) Everything is quiet and smooth again. Even my tanabe exhaust sounds nicer and more controlled. I am pleased with the results...but my pockets suck right now... Peace my honda headz!!! Keep killin mazdas and fords and nissans and ****....Peace...
Old 04-14-2005, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All the stuff went bad at the same time ? Bullshit. Sounds like they didn't know what was wrong so they kept putting parts on it till they got it fixed. Gotta love shops like that, that just guess at whats wrong and cost you more money than what you really needed to spend.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Re: (Jmunk)

No, trust me....all that stuff was on its last leg. He changed the distributor and the fuel pump was still pumping at low pressure, so that had to be changed also. I was right there when he was doing the pressure tests....so I didn't get scammed....Also, when you get a distributor changed, its only natural to get the ignition coil changed along with cap-n-rotor, wires and plugs.....It is what it is....I am not a noob when it comes to cars...i know my **** and i won't let someone scam me for money.......PEACE...