Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

JDM B16a Fuel/Spark/Timing-Crank/No start

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default JDM B16a Fuel/Spark/Timing-Crank/No start

Hey All,

Finally finished up my jdm b16a/Gsr trans swap into my obd1 1995 Del Sol Si w/ a chipped p28 Hondata s300 ecu.

Well, it’s just not starting. it looks to have too much fuel going to the cylinders/the basemap I’m using might not be jiving. Using NGK BKR6E-11 .040 gap

I have checked: Firing order, Spark, Fuel reaching the Rail and Plugs, Engine Timing (Mechanically), Grounds T.stat/Ecu Battery/Strut Twr. Trans/Chass. Valve C./Chassis, Dizzy is in correctly(fights to be 180° out), Fuses by the battery, Connectors are all in the right place/No pins pulled out.

I am currently running a basemap off of Hondata for the jdmp30 w/ knock sens disabled and TPS adjusted: all i’ve done. I have not checked fuses under the dash, not sure how to check fuel pressure going into the rail.
I have also not done a compression test yet, but turning it over it sounds really healthy.
The Intake Manifold that came with the swap is a bit suspect with no bung for the IAT sens.(obd0?) Wondering if it is OBD0 w/ obd0 Injectors, then J would need a resistor from my OBD1 ecu?

Replaced Timing Belt, Water Pump, Head Gasket, Both Cam Seals and Cap, Pilot/Clutch Release Bearing, All VC and Thermostat gaskets/O rings, Installed Skunk2 Cam Gears, ARP Head Studs, ARP Flywheel Bolts, ACT Lightweight Flywheel, Clutch Masters Unsprung Clutch, Mishimoto Radiator Kit

Sorry for the long post this is my first swap ever and I have been doing it all myself over the past 6 months any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-23-2023, 03:06 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: JDM B16a Fuel/Spark/Timing-Crank/No start

Record a datalog while trying to start it and look over the log files. Do you have the right MAP sensor selected - do the MAP numbers in the datalog make sense? Are you getting RPM signal? How does your TPS look at closed and WOT?
Are there any CEL's?
You need to verify what size injectors you have and verify that the tune matches. Stock injectors should be 240cc/min, so if you can't verify the size of the injectors, I'd probably start with those numbers and see if it will crank. You can test for OBD0 (peak & hold / low impedance) injectors by testing the resistance of one of the injectors - low impedance will be ~2-3 ohm. High impedance will be about 10-12 ohm. If you have low impedance injectors, you'll need to add inline resistors. You should also verify that you don't have an injector stuck open.
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-23-2023, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=DaX;52767528] Are you getting RPM signal? How does your TPS look at closed and WOT?

I’m using a stock MAP on Hondata, but I actually was checking on the datalog and the TPS was tweakin. It read -2 closed and 60 WOT at first before going to 16.4-.66 closed and 99.?? at WOT. I did not think to look at my RPM signal my bad.

Are there any CEL's? I have a code 41 for O2 Sensor Heater, but I do not have it plugged in atm.

I will get my hands on a multimeter and check out the injectors, absolutely could be stuck open the way the plugs were wet when we were pulling them.
Old 10-23-2023, 07:40 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Get the TPS fixed.

Disable the o2 heater in Hondata.

Make sure with key on, engine off your MAP shows ~0 psi. I had a MAP fail and cause a no-start issue. A bad ECT can also cause issues.
Old 10-24-2023, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=DaX;52767612] Definitely might be something up with the TPS, it’s still reading -2.54Cl. and 96.37 WOT. MAP sensor is reading .1 psi. Also noticed there’s no RPM gauge response in Hondata, the speedo. is showing the stumbling of cranking it though.

No more codes, got the O2 and its heater disabled. Gonna check on the ECT and my Injectors after work today. The plugs are definitely black and wet, letting the cylinders air out again.

Old 10-25-2023, 01:21 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

The speedometer shouldn't move during cranking unless you're in gear.

You should be able to see RPM signal during cranking. Otherwise you may have an issue in your distributor. You did say you verified you are getting spark, though. Double check that your distributor isn't installed 180 degrees out of sync.
Old 10-28-2023, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should be able to see RPM signal during cranking. Otherwise you may have an issue in your distributor.

Definitely wasn’t getting a reading on my s300, huh. I might just borrow a know good distributor and see if that changes anything. I did go back and flip it 180° to check, but it hard a time even trying to go in, so i believe it is correct.

Also checked the injectors, they’re reading 12.1 so High Imped. checks out. I also got the JDI main relay, and it sounded like it wanted to fire up more-couple more combustion noises and a backfire?
Old 10-28-2023, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
The speedometer shouldn't move during cranking unless you're in gear.

You should be able to see RPM signal during cranking. Otherwise you may have an issue in your distributor. You did say you verified you are getting spark, though. Double check that your distributor isn't installed 180 degrees out of sync.
Is there any chance it could be a b16a2 distributor ? It has two grey plugs, so definitely not the jdm 89-91 crx dizzy. i thought the a2 had a single plug.
Old 10-30-2023, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WELP I fixed it! Never could have guessed it.

Whoever had the motor last took the distributor apart and put the spindle back in 180° out. So when i was putting it in correctly it was actually firing 180° out. I set the crank at TDC, checked where the rotor was pointing, sure enough #4 on the cap. Took the retaining clip/pin out and spun the spindle around, got it pointing at #1 on the cap. Started right up with a little throttle/idle adjustment!! Set the damn thing right on -16° timing, too-checked with a gun. No leaks so far !! Thank you for all of the insight man, it’s been a great learning experience. Can’t thank you enough.
The following 2 users liked this post by vteceffect:
Old 11-02-2023, 11:44 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vteceffect

Whoever had the motor last took the distributor apart and put the spindle back in 180° out. So when i was putting it in correctly it was actually firing 180° out. I set the crank at TDC, checked where the rotor was pointing, sure enough #4 on the cap. Took the retaining clip/pin out and spun the spindle around, got it pointing at #1 on the cap. Started right up with a little throttle/idle adjustment!! Set the damn thing right on -16° timing, too-checked with a gun. No leaks so far !! Thank you for all of the insight man, it’s been a great learning experience. Can’t thank you enough.
Congrats on fixing it, and thanks for coming back and posting the solution for others to see.
Old 11-02-2023, 12:56 PM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by vteceffect

Crazy!