Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need Help Picking Reman PS Rack 97 EX

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Picking Reman PS Rack 97 EX

My power steering rack is done on my cheap track car. Can't run at any local events until I fix it because what started as a slow leak has turned into dumping all of the PS fluid out in under a day. Normally I'd DIY stuff like this and consider a rebuild kit, but I just don't have the time right now. I just need to pick out a decent re-manufactured steering rack, so I can drop it at an acquaintance's shop and let him knock it out.

Car is a 97 EX Coupe. I've considered all of the various mods and part swaps, going manual, and I decided to just stick with the stock power steering ratio for now. I'm not competing in the car, I just wanted something simple and reliable to take to track days and autoX events. So far AC Delco is at the top of my list. I haven't seen any real negative reviews and I've have good luck with other AC Delco parts in the past. I've read a lot of bad reviews about Cardone and always considered them to be kind of sub-par, but I've seen some decent reviews for other makes/models. A1 Auto and Detroit Axle seemed to have a pretty even split of either fine or garbage. I have some money to fix it, but I don't have Honda OEM money for this unfortunately, otherwise that'd be the route I'd go.

So, what are the recommendations everyone else has as far as replacement racks goes?
Old 07-26-2019, 03:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help Picking Reman PS Rack 97 EX

Guess I'll just go with the AC Delco. I'll report back if it's trash or not. Seems like the best non-OEM choice from what I've found.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally got the PS rack installed. So far, the AC Delco rack is working fine. Had a shop do the install with new ES steering rack bushings, the AC Delco racks inner tie rods, and Hardrace outer tie rods.

I've driven about 35 miles on it and had it feels great. I'd say best modern equivalent would be that it feels like a new 'sportier' FWD car, maybe like a Fiesta ST. Everything is tight and sturdy feeling and steering input is direct and precise. I'd imagine it's pretty similar to the OEM rack when new. I'm sure the fact that I replaced every other bushing and all of my suspension less than 800 miles ago helps a lot, but I'd like to think any new components going to feel pretty good compared to the 200,000 mile version of them.

What's most important is my rack isn't dumping all of my PS fluid all over the street anymore, so I should be able to get out on the track now.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 614 Likes on 486 Posts

I need to do this. It’s the only thing on my car that still leaks. I have been looking at racks from rackdoctor.net. Maybe you’ve inspired me lol...