Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Fans stay on after I turn my car off! Please help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fans stay on after I turn my car off! Please help?

I just got into the Honda seen and don't know whats going on. I turn my car off and my fan stays on. I can turn on the heater and make it circulate through the car and everything. Those two lights are the only lights that stay on too. The green one for which spot you want the air to come out of, and the orange light for circulation button. Both those stay on. On the fan stays on. Its a 97 Honda HB DX. I don't know whats going on. Can someone point me in the right directrion. Please! Honda peopl know there cars and I just can't figure it out! Thanks alot!
Old 01-24-2008, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Fans stay on after I turn my car off! Please help? (Maddheadache)

Does this kinda help?

http://www.hondacarforum.com/h....html
http://www.hondacarforum.com/h....html

Do you mean the fan for you engine?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Fans stay on after I turn my car off! Please help? (l337m4n)

Kind of! Yes the engine fan stays on after i turn it off. It will drain my battery if I let it. But what I was saying about the heater fan inside.. is that I can turn it on. Push what place I want the heat to come out of, via floor, dash, both, you know. And the lights for those all light up, but just those two. Crazy right!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:33 PM

Yeah it might be because it's overheating or the thermostat is shotty.Is it still doing it after an hour?Maybe disconnect your battery untill the engine is cooled then reconnect it and see if the fan turns on.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (l337m4n)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by l337m4n &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah it might be because it's overheating or the thermostat is shotty.Is it still doing it after an hour?Maybe disconnect your battery untill the engine is cooled then reconnect it and see if the fan turns on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

@ this guy.

@ OP: The thermostat has nothing to do with your fan control - it's based of ECT readings and nothing more.

Somebody probably hardwired the fan to the battery to bypass the ECT and attached it to a switch - you see this a lot in cars down south.

As for the cluster control light staying on - I don't know.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:08 PM

isnt it normal when they do that???
Old 01-24-2008, 11:53 PM

Default Re: Fans stay on after I turn my car off! Please help? (ardeine)

ok no civic or any honda that i know of in that year had time delay cooling fans. in my own professional opinion i would be starting with the cooling fan relay. this is a classic sticky relay. but you nedd to do some testing to figure it out ut start at the relay 1st.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Fans stay on after I turn my car off! Please help? (1krebs1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1krebs1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok no civic or any honda that i know of in that year had time delay cooling fans. in my own professional opinion i would be starting with the cooling fan relay. this is a classic sticky relay. but you nedd to do some testing to figure it out ut start at the relay 1st. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree, but I'd check for a hack job in the wiring going to the fan before I check the relay.

A lot of people bypass the ECT and run their fan all the time off of an inline switch directly to the battery down south.

He's in Nevada, wouldn't be by a long shot the first car I've seen from south that had the ECT fan control bypassed.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Fans stay on after I turn my car off! Please help? (Syndacate)

I know its not hardwired. I went to get something to eat and came back and... The fan is on with just the the two little lights on. Last night I went out and played with it and got it to stop by just giggling the battery cable. It stops for a minute then turn right back on? What do you think. I took the cable off, then just tapped it to the terminal and the problem stops. I wait and then it just turns them back on.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'd tend to agree with 1krebs1. check your relay.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fans stay on after I turn my car off! Please help? (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I agree, but I'd check for a hack job in the wiring going to the fan before I check the relay.

A lot of people bypass the ECT and run their fan all the time off of an inline switch directly to the battery down south.

He's in Nevada, wouldn't be by a long shot the first car I've seen from south that had the ECT fan control bypassed.</TD></TR></TABLE>
im with this guy look for a switch somewhere cause it could be bypassed
Old 01-26-2008, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Fans stay on after I turn my car off! Please help? (Mr. Em1)

one quick and simple test that you could do immediately rule out or condemn the relay is simply swap with the a/c relay or equivelant. another would be to simply unplug the relay and see if the fans stop. maybe you have a short to power. remember you can have a short to power on either the fan side of the circuit or the computer end. anyways just do the relay thing if you cant rule out relay then we can help you out by doing some simple volage tests. i can walk you threw it if you need help no biggie
Old 01-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

lol, interesting problem...

sounds like somebody's hackjob...