Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Fan Relay or Fan?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Fan Relay or Fan?

Ok guys. Here is the issue with the ex d16z6 build. Got a new radiator and thermostat the other day for my overheating issue. Got my new exhaust in and new Dash Cluster. So i got it running today. I noticed it still was overheating but only while driving not just sitting in neutral. I drove it for about 2 minutes let it start overheating then pulled over. I checked my fan and notice it wasn't coming on at all. Would this be the Fan itself or is it a relay issue. If it is, how can i test the relay?
Old 02-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fan Relay or Fan?

isn't there a temperature sensor for the fan that makes it come on at a certain temp? But then again if its overheating when your driving it sounds like your thermostat is not doing its job. Did you bleed the air out of the radiator?
Old 02-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hondamike89
Ok guys. Here is the issue with the ex d16z6 build. Got a new radiator and thermostat the other day for my overheating issue. Got my new exhaust in and new Dash Cluster. So i got it running today. I noticed it still was overheating but only while driving not just sitting in neutral. I drove it for about 2 minutes let it start overheating then pulled over. I checked my fan and notice it wasn't coming on at all. Would this be the Fan itself or is it a relay issue. If it is, how can i test the relay?
Disconnect the coolant temperature switch and insert a jumper wire into the 2P connector. The fan should now run continuously when the key is ON. If so, replace the switch. If not, check the fan fuse, motor, and relay.

Also bleed the cooling system.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:38 AM

My temp guage doesnt work, and fan doesnt come on, but my car doesn't overheat. one thing i've though of doing, and you could do, is to wire in a switch in parallel so that you can turn the fan on manually or it can come on on its own. granted, this doesnt fix the problem, but its a good temporary solution.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats what i was thinking (thermostat) when i just went out and looked at it. But ill try the jumper wire, hopefully it helps. But i have bled the cooling system right after i installed the radiator so it couldnt be that. Any other things i should try?
Old 02-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE: i ran the jumper wire to the 2p connector. My fan turned right on. Sooooo i'm guessing its the switch as ron said? This is the switch that the Connector goes into correct?
Old 02-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE: i ran the jumper wire to the 2p connector. My fan turned right on. Sooooo i'm guessing its the switch as ron said? This is the switch that the Connector goes into correct?
Yep, replace the switch and you should be good to go.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Disconnect the coolant temperature switch and insert a jumper wire into the 2P connector. The fan should now run continuously when the key is ON. If so, replace the switch. If not, check the fan fuse, motor, and relay.

Also bleed the cooling system.
i'm having the same problem. i have a 97 gsr hatch. did the swap and now the fan isnt working so i hooked up a constant to it when i crank the motor over it comes on; however i want it to work properly. i've checked all the fuses and everything is good. my question about this 2P connector. i cant seem to locate it. i've take a few pictures maybe you can point it out to me. thanks

this is right beside the radiator fan.

this is next to the valve cover.

this is right below the intake

thanks
Old 02-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The last picture may be the switch, but I am not absolutely sure. The switch with a 2P connector is located in the thermostat housing.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The last picture may be the switch, but I am not absolutely sure. The switch with a 2P connector is located in the thermostat housing.
k well the 1st two ARE NOT IT. possibly the 3rd. where is the thermostat housing? do you have a picture of yours?
Old 02-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think that the lower radiator hose leads to the thermostat housing:

Old 02-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thank a bunch man!!!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you check the fuse located in your engine bay (near the battery)? there's one for the fan there and that could be the problem as well. check that first before you go out and buy switches.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=RonJ@HT;37345746]I think that the lower radiator hose leads to the thermostat housing:

i found the switch and housing. i took off the switch and inserted a paper clip into each end of the wire that goes INTO the switch and the CONDENSER FAN turned on. is this suppose to happen? the MOTOR fan DID NOT turn on. help.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like someone incorrectly wired the condenser fan to the switch rather than the radiator fan????
Old 02-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you sure you found the right switch? What kinda car you have i can get you a location.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But like Ron said someone could've wired it wrong
Old 02-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like someone incorrectly wired the condenser fan to the switch rather than the radiator fan????
well the thing is as soon as i turn on the blower button then press AC the condenser fan turns on and we are A-OK. also from where the wire location is on the front harness (headlight, horn, condenser, motor fan) it would not be able to reach the motor fan.

that red wire right there is coming off the condenser and into the harness.

Are you sure you found the right switch? What kinda car you have i can get you a location.
pretty sure. i looked that the picture that was posted on the page and was able to locate it. its right below the distributor if you were leaning on the passenger side fender looking under the motor.

i have a 1997 civic hatchback with a 95 GSR motor
Old 02-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The radiator and condenser fan system is miswired. Here's what the circuit should look like:

Old 02-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im just making sure you got the right thing before we start getting into wiring issues.
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mike that looks like it. but it seems like its BACK about 6inches. let me see if i can take a picture of what im talking about. here we go....i pulled the wire coming out of this thing right here. i also noticed that it has a big hose going to the lower bottom of the radiator.

this is the picture of the top one going to the radiator hose on top. i also noticed that small cylinder thing in your picture that matches this one.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its your first picture. Go with Rons wiring diagram he's usually pretty good with specs and stuff. I just wanted to double check before you have to re-wire the connections. But you said that your condensor fan DOES come on when you jump the 2p connector right? Not the radiator fan.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its your first picture. Go with Rons wiring diagram he's usually pretty good with specs and stuff. I just wanted to double check before you have to re-wire the connections. But you said that your condensor fan DOES come on when you jump the 2p connector right? Not the radiator fan.
yes it does. the first pic of the sensor is kinda snugged in there. like difficult to get to. i have to move the hoses around and stuff. but ill look at the diagram and see what i can do. but the thing im worried about is that the wire for the therm sensor isnt spliced or anything. it fits perfectly into the senor. thats the part i dont understand.