Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 03:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan and radiator issues

Hi, guys,
First Post!

I have a Civic 99 here in Brazil, and i have two doubts:

First: My radiator fan its ok, but it has the same issue of this post (turn off after key removal). Its normal on my civic? should i made a mod?

Second: After seventeen years the radiador its gone and i bought a new one. I noticed that bugs and dirt screw up it the old one, because there is no protection in the front off the car from dust that came with the air flow from the road.
I noticed that the radiator in my girlfriends car, a pegeout 206 whit eleven years old, its brand new. The only diference: the fan is in front off the radiator... So i think that the dust hit the fan and not the radiator.
Its a good idea put the fan in front of the radiator and reverse the fan rotation?

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2016, 05:39 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: Fan and radiator issues

You do what you want.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

sure, putting the fan in front of the radiator would work, as long as there is air movement through the radiator it wont care. BUUUUUUUUTTTT, the engineers that designed that radiator and cooling system spent probably over $10000 designing the system. Probably over 500 man hours designing it and then you have the engineers that figured out how to place it in the car.. What Im trying to say is that honda knows what they are doing and some systems should not be messed with.
Thinks about it this way, My jeep tj does not have an electric fan, just the fan on the waterpump. I shut the jeep off,the fan stops. no air movement. Come back 2 minutes later, start jeep, fan moves. Same engine style as the honda, Aluminum head,cast Iron block. So you dont have to worry about your fan coming on when the engine is hot. Besides with engine off there is really no coolant movement through the engine anyway (well maybe some thermosyphon movement).
As far as bugs and dust in the radiator, Its 17 years old, its going to be dirty. Replace the radiator, and when you wash the car just hose off the radiator to keep it clean
Do as you want, it would be a neat project, but I dont like to see people spend money on things that are not really needed
Old 12-15-2016, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your response and thoughts youstolemybeer. I am making my opinion listening and thinking, before do wat i want.

Im graduating in eletrical enginering early 2017 and now how bad is someone screwing our project thinking it's all blablabla and coming later crying becaouse something went wrong.
I think i'll agree with you and leave it oem.
BUUUTTT just to add another point off view: Now i make some chooses in the clients place, its not about right or wrong, its about the project focus. So you choose your option and does the tecnical work. In cars there is a lot off options that somebody choosed for you, maybe not the one you would choose. And sometimes they choose wrong and worst: They do the wrong technically wrong.
And one more: engineers team ar not a magic team, some things its simple (most are not of course).I remeber a teacher tell us after a long student discution: "why you are complicating so much? its simple: just move on."

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2016, 07:50 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Changing the puller fan to a pusher fan in front won't change a thing in your civic as long as the fan still pushes the same amount of air (CFM) through the radiator as the stock OEM puller fan.

Where you will struggle with this project is maintaining the same CFM as you will have to use a smaller fan to fit the radiator in front with the radiator support framing.

I believe you will loose at least 2 inches up top and two inches on the bottom and will have to design brackets on the frame to hold the fan or tie the smaller fan directly to the fins of the radiator.

Cliffs:
  • Smaller fan that produces same CFM as the larger stock fan that will fit the MUCH smaller space in front of the radiator.
  • Custom mounting points not on the radiator or cheap out and use radiator zip ties and mangle the radiator fins for mounting.