Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Fake Brembo blanks???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fake Brembo blanks???

I just received a set of Brembo blanks from a h/t sponser and I'm very disappointed from what I see after openning the box.

The rear disks look fine. It has a Brembo word on the edge of the disk and the box isn't a generic box. They also come with screws and a Bremobo flyer. I had bought 6 other brembo blanks and they all came that way.

Now, with the 2 front disks that I just received. The box is slightly different from the rear disk (but the boxes are all the same size). The screws are missing. The disk itself has no Brembo written anywhere. It has Mexico written on it and a big Made in Mexico sticker on the box. Not only that, the disk itself looks a lot worse than any brembo blanks I'd seen. There are little dots of rust here and there. Also there are small chips here and there. The quality of the disk seems worse than those $20 no brand disk from Napa.

Does anyone have any idea rather I got a pair of fake brembo blanks?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: Here are the pictures

The possible fake front disk on the left vs the for sure real Brembo rear disk on the right.
Notice the little circle on the right box which is the "Approved German Road Safety" Stamp. It is missing on the left box.

The front disk:

Notice the big "Made in Mexico" sticker and there is no "Approved German Road Safety" Stamp. The box is more generic. bar code is a label.

They need to make it clear it is made in mexico and having another name other than Brembo written on it. The letters are also poorly written on the edge compare to all other brembo disk I had bought. (scroll down to see the other disk and compare).

All the chipping on the hub area

All the little dots of rust .... and it is supposed to be brand new highest quality disk made by Brembo

Does anyone know what is this cut out on the edge for? Wouldn't it cause the brake disk to not balance?

The for sure real rear Brembo disk. This is easy to tell it is real.

Modified by RedGSR at 10:09 PM 4/22/2005
Old 04-18-2005, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fake Brembo blanks??? (RedGSR)

sounds fake, brembos aren't made in mexico. and it should say brembo on the outter side.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Instead of posting it up you should contact the sponsor you bought it from and ask... If it is IMport Replacement Parts, I ordered from them and mine were okay... maybe they made a mistake... Talk to THEM...
Old 04-18-2005, 04:41 PM
PDM

Default Re: Fake Brembo blanks??? (civiccpedx)

as far as I know all brembo's come stamped on the outer edge with "brembo".
Old 04-18-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Fake Brembo blanks??? (PDM)

yes i would check with the seller, don't list the name, maybe he just made an honest mistake.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I called the seller. They claimed that some Brembo disk are made in Mexico and gave me a phone number to call Brembo to confirm. I left a message for the contact person at Brembo.

I'm still doubtful they are Brembo disk because of the fact that it doesn't have Brembo written anywhere on it and it is in such poor quality
Old 04-18-2005, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RedGSR)

Ask them to replace them. could be wrong, but i never heard or brembos be making to mexico. Is that a new thing?
Old 04-18-2005, 09:28 PM
Gizzo

Default Re: (B16aDasher)

My Brembo's are from Germany I believe
Old 04-19-2005, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just called Brembo again. The operator first transfered me to a guy... after speaking with him for 1 min, he just cut me off. Then, I called again and the operator just kept transferring me to the company's general mail box.

The only information I received from them is that they said they have a factory in Mexico. But they didn't tell me rather the disk out of that factory comes stamped with "Brembo" on the edge of the disk.

The operator kept sounding like she just wants to cut me off. I'm even more disappointed by the customer service.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:57 AM

Hey was it ImportRP? I just wanna know bc I'm about to place an order...
Old 04-22-2005, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Added pictures.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I still haven't confirm rather they are for sure fake. Brembo customer service is no help. The seller claims they just got it from Brembo distribution center and move them out as fast as possible.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:51 AM

either way if it is or isent it still looks poorly made
Old 04-22-2005, 09:00 AM
cool guy name

I just called brembo and they said that some of there rotors are made in mexico and some are not stamped. You have brembo blanks.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:00 AM

well that notce taken out on the side was propably done to balence the disk. But i just ordered a set too, hope they look better then yours, my friend ordered a set from the same person i did and loves them so well see...
Old 04-22-2005, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fake Brembo blanks??? (nocternaldragon)

i can't remember where i ordered mine, but they didn't look like that... i would ask for a replacement. they honestly look used and turned/cleaned.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:08 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (JdmLub)

Simple explanation from just looking at the pics, Brembo has more then one place that manufactures disc for them. Just like you have found out. The place in Mexico just does not manufacture them as nice as were the other disc was made. I see this all the time, same part; two different manufacture locations and you end up with small differences between parts. You will find examples like this all the time in the manufacturing industry.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Fake Brembo blanks??? (nocternaldragon)

Well, I checked the Brembo website, and they have a production facility in Mexico...to be exact: Fundimak S.A. de C.V., Mexico

http://www.brembo.com/ENG/Abou...a.htm

Castings aren't perfect, and I believe the cut on that one was done to balance the rotor. The blanks don't have any corrosion protective coatings on them and will rust. Mine started to rust the next day after they were on the car.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MadtownSi)

if i were to have a name such as 'brembo' in my arsenal of companies, i wouldn't pay some half rate for that work.... or distribute them even, was there any QC?
Old 04-22-2005, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (deeksmooth)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deeksmooth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i wouldn't pay some half rate for that work.... or distribute them even, was there any QC? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds ignorant to me....how much of the stuff you buy is made in China???

It has the quality stamp on the Brembo box....and those rotors are meant to rust, the blanks don't come with a corrosion protection coating on them like their performance rotors do.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Marauder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sounds ignorant to me....how much of the stuff you buy is made in China???

It has the quality stamp on the Brembo box....and those rotors are meant to rust, the blanks don't come with a corrosion protection coating on them like their performance rotors do.</TD></TR></TABLE>

or japan
Old 04-22-2005, 09:39 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (Soccerking3000)

mexicans can't make breaks... lol
Old 04-22-2005, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (menkio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by menkio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mexicans can't make breaks... lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

a lot of Made in the USA products might as well be made in Mexico, since a lot of factories in the USA are filled with workers from Mexico.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:50 AM

I have the same problem. I bought 2 front rotors. Neither of them say brembo on them. One disc has the cut on the edge and the other doesnt. Do you think this will be a problem when I put them on my car.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dark1)

did you read the thread? the cuts are for balancing

Quick Reply: Fake Brembo blanks???