Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

failed my emission...:(

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default failed my emission...:(

so, took my emission cause that was the only way i can transfer the title...and yup. i failed.
i dont know why, my car runs excellent, just like stock, no smell,smoke,check engine light or nothing.it was a good swap and done correctly. i still dont know why i failed.

i passed everything except the idle emission

any help...??????????
Old 10-04-2007, 01:10 PM

c5 swap in there btw
Old 10-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (spintboy)

You don't happen to have an exhaust leak or something to that effect?

(4. ) for your O2 reading seems high to me at idle.

Is your timing set to spec?

Answer these and I will have more.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:22 PM

let me check for the exhaust leak, but as far as the timing setting,not sure. how can tell if its set to spec?
Old 10-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spintboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">let me check for the exhaust leak, but as far as the timing setting,not sure. how can tell if its set to spec?</TD></TR></TABLE>

get a timing gun and see if its advanced or "retarded"
Old 10-05-2007, 01:30 AM

Default Re: failed my emission...:( (spintboy)

whats happenin brah...eyy u sure ure car is runnin excellent? especially at idle? if im not mistaken lookin over ure ASM report, your ride gots a LEAN MISFIRE at idle...does it run sumwut rough or a tad bit at idle? wuts ure idle at? possible vacuum leak...yeah check timing i kno sum ppl dont spec em when they drop in a motor...they jus set em to wut they think feels gud...
Old 10-05-2007, 11:06 AM

well i took it to a mechanic and he told me that i barley failed.
so he suggested i use to this thing they sell a local auto part store, called "gurantee to pass emission". it a liquid that i am suppose to pour into the the gas tank, then drive it until its empty, fill it again then take it back to the emissions.
hopefully this damn thing work.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spintboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i took it to a mechanic and he told me that i barley failed.
so he suggested i use to this thing they sell a local auto part store, called "gurantee to pass emission". it a liquid that i am suppose to pour into the the gas tank, then drive it until its empty, fill it again then take it back to the emissions.
hopefully this damn thing work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

its not gonna cure a vacumm leak. check and see if all the vacumm lines are tight and that you dont have any exhaust leaks. pull off the heat shield of the header and check for any broken bolts/studs
Old 10-05-2007, 11:44 AM

will do..im going to check everythig 2morrow morning
Old 10-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Clogged PCV Valve???

My EG failed the sniffer last month. The PCV valve was plugged beyond recognition, I changed the 02 sensor, installed Bosch Iridium plugs (they supposedly burn cleanest) and ran a bottle of "Guaranteed to pass" through it the fuel system.

It passed with FLYING colors on the re-test.

If your car is running great, then it's probably something stupid that's causing it. Worst case is that your cat converter is shot.

Good luck.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:46 PM

Default Re: failed my emission...:( (spintboy)

dont waste your time and money on "guranteed to pass emissions liquid" crap...exhaust leak wont cause your car to have a lean misfire at idle...i dont kno why tha smog tech told u that u barely passed. yeah i can see u were off a few ppm on tha HCs but ure oxygen is out of tha roof...vacuum hose checks is wut u need to do...throttle body, manifold vaccuum, brake booster, etc. anywhere that has vacuum, check it. wutever u do dont use an aerosol can that sprays liquid or air towards a vacuum hose to find tha leaks...its sumthin bad waiting to happen...
Old 10-05-2007, 10:29 PM

thanks for all the help guys. i really appreciate it. going to check everyhintg out 2morrow and take the re-test. hopefully i'll pass.......
Old 10-05-2007, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: failed my emission...:( (Soichiro_Fan04)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soichiro_Fan04 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont waste your time and money on "guranteed to pass emissions liquid" crap...exhaust leak wont cause your car to have a lean misfire at idle...i dont kno why tha smog tech told u that u barely passed. yeah i can see u were off a few ppm on tha HCs but ure oxygen is out of tha roof...vacuum hose checks is wut u need to do...throttle body, manifold vaccuum, brake booster, etc. anywhere that has vacuum, check it. wutever u do dont use an aerosol can that sprays liquid or air towards a vacuum hose to find tha leaks...its sumthin bad waiting to happen... </TD></TR></TABLE>

how do you know its a lean misfire? HC is RAW fuel. its probably not a lean/rich misfire but a part failure misfire.

a small vacuum leak probably wont cause a lean misfire at idle. and a large vac leak is painfully obvious on hondas (hunting idle). his o2 is through the roof because of the misfire.

check your timing, plugs, cap, rotor and wires.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Re: failed my emission...:( (Kamin)

i agree wit you HC is raw fuel...but HC is also your misfire indicator...usually your HCs should not be anywhere close to 100ppm...thats tha rule of thumb...if your HCs passes 100ppm, its a definite misfire...tha reason why i say its a LEAN MISFIRE is because 02 its out of tha roof...u want to have as much CO2 comin out of tha tailpipe as possible (theoretically) because it is your COMBUSTION EFFICIENCY. Rule of thumb is 12-14%. Movin on you dont want that much oxygen coming out of tha exhaust. Not enough oxygen its RICH and too much its LEAN. well at idle you are supposed to have high vacuum theoretically about 16 in. as you open tha throttle vacuum decreases...well in his case as u can see that his 02 is up there and as he cruises to 25 mph in tha ASM test, 02 goes down and HC does too. Hence tha problem goes away...his symptoms should be a lil higher idle than normal. my advice if you check everything out and all is gud, run your engine wit no load at 2000rpm rite b4 your test. itll warm up your cat...make sure run ure test rite away dont let tha tech let your ride sit for 2 hours b4 tha test cuz that will defeat tha purpose of warming up your cat and burn any excess HCs that come out your exhaust during your test. But yo wit tha vacuum i might be wrong after all im a student at UTi to become a tech. im here to learn. ill admit im wrong and ill take it wuts right from anywun. thats why i joined this forum...well gud luck
Old 10-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: failed my emission...:( (Soichiro_Fan04)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soichiro_Fan04 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i agree wit you HC is raw fuel...but HC is also your misfire indicator...usually your HCs should not be anywhere close to 100ppm...thats tha rule of thumb...if your HCs passes 100ppm, its a definite misfire...tha reason why i say its a LEAN MISFIRE is because 02 its out of tha roof...u want to have as much CO2 comin out of tha tailpipe as possible (theoretically) because it is your COMBUSTION EFFICIENCY. Rule of thumb is 12-14%. Movin on you dont want that much oxygen coming out of tha exhaust. Not enough oxygen its RICH and too much its LEAN. well at idle you are supposed to have high vacuum theoretically about 16 in. as you open tha throttle vacuum decreases...well in his case as u can see that his 02 is up there and as he cruises to 25 mph in tha ASM test, 02 goes down and HC does too. Hence tha problem goes away...his symptoms should be a lil higher idle than normal. my advice if you check everything out and all is gud, run your engine wit no load at 2000rpm rite b4 your test. itll warm up your cat...make sure run ure test rite away dont let tha tech let your ride sit for 2 hours b4 tha test cuz that will defeat tha purpose of warming up your cat and burn any excess HCs that come out your exhaust during your test. But yo wit tha vacuum i might be wrong after all im a student at UTi to become a tech. im here to learn. ill admit im wrong and ill take it wuts right from anywun. thats why i joined this forum...well gud luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

*sigh*

ok look man, bottom line is without NOX readings and without an ignition scope you have NO idea what the misfire is from. thats nice your are a UTI student and all but the real world doesnt work like your big blue UTI binder filled with notes and gay fill in the blank worksheets tells you it does.

with a HC failure like that its probably not caused from a vacuum leak. it would have to suck so much air in to cause a MISFIRE at idle that he would have a hunting idle and it would totally throw off his off idle numbers too. for gods sake he doesnt even know what his timing is set at.

ignition ignition ignition. check everything.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:22 PM

Default Re: failed my emission...:( (Kamin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

*sigh*

ok look man, bottom line is without NOX readings and without an ignition scope you have NO idea what the misfire is from. thats nice your are a UTI student and all but the real world doesnt work like your big blue UTI binder filled with notes and gay fill in the blank worksheets tells you it does.

with a HC failure like that its probably not caused from a vacuum leak. it would have to suck so much air in to cause a MISFIRE at idle that he would have a hunting idle and it would totally throw off his off idle numbers too. for gods sake he doesnt even know what his timing is set at.

ignition ignition ignition. check everything.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

aiite man...true i havent worked on real cars yet out in tha field...so i got no real experience except for lab time on clip cars...lol...jus wanted to see if wut i learned at skool is true thats all...thanx for tha heads up brah...i needed that one...i cant get all into theory...you're rite tha real world is different...fasho...soo brah jus check everything like KAMIN sed...gud luck