Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

FAILED inspection - twice for same thing [OBD not ready]

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: FAILED inspection - twice for same thing [OBD not ready]

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
With the service connector jumped, the CEL should stay ON steady if there are no codes stored in the ECU. Your ECU might be bad or the service connector circuit has an open.
Wow, way to hit me with worst case scenario. un****ing believable, well what do i do now
Old 01-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

I am sorry if my answers disappoint. Just trying to help you find a solution.

It could be a bad wire, but you'd need to be able to identify it. Circuit diagrams in the service manual would help with this effort.

Do you have a friend with the same ECU? If so, try ECU swapping to see whether it solves the problem.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I understand, this is just unbelievable frustrating me to a goddamn boiling point.

**** this, ill let those messes rob me of $100 at the dealership and Ill let them deal with it. I need a beer
Old 01-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did u try startin the car up cold and letting it idle until the fan comes on b4 u started driving? for Evap and Cat monitors it requires u to do that otherwise they wont enable..i can usually get the Cat monitor to enable without letting the fan kick on once but the Evap monitor is more of a PITA to get to set
Old 01-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ekb16
did u try startin the car up cold and letting it idle until the fan comes on b4 u started driving? for Evap and Cat monitors it requires u to do that otherwise they wont enable..i can usually get the Cat monitor to enable without letting the fan kick on once but the Evap monitor is more of a PITA to get to set
Yeah, I did that, 3 times during the course of 4 seperate days. im so pissed off with this puzzle, I'm letting Honda fix it.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

most likely there is something wrong wit ur car then...the dealership will prob tell u to replace ur Evap bypass sol/ valve and maybe a cat and o2 sensors
Old 01-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, I'm pretty sure the cat is on it's way out, if it's not already... all i need is to pass an inspection, then I can take the shitty cat off and throw a test pipe on until I can get a new one. there has to be a logical explanation for why this is kicking my *** so badly these past weeks. ill grab a primary 02 sensor while I'm at it, it's probably better to replace both at the same time, rather than just changing one.

argh
Old 01-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was having the same problem when i tried to ref. my jdm gsr in my ek..i failed cuzz 2 of my monitors(evap,cat) didnt set and high HCs...ive replaced half of my evap systm and still didnt fix the monitor..turns out i had a short in my evap bypass sol. and that fried the circuit in my ecu and the monitor wouldnt set, so i bought another ecu and it fixed that evap monitor issue...the cat monitor didnt set bcuzz i didnt drive it under the Enable conditions
Old 01-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive replaced half of my evap systm and still didnt fix the monitor..turns out i had a short in my evap bypass sol. and that fried the circuit in my ecu and the monitor wouldnt set, so i bought another ecu and it fixed that evap monitor issue...
What exactly does it mean when you 'fry a circuit in the ecu'. I would assume there would be many more problems is there was a major issue such as that.

...the cat monitor didnt set bcuzz i didnt drive it under the Enable conditions
Yeah, doing it the right way is tough.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ^XpLiCiTxX^
What exactly does it mean when you 'fry a circuit in the ecu'. I would assume there would be many more problems is there was a major issue such as that.

i thought the same thing ur thinking about, but my car ran perfectly fine..the only thing wrong was that everytime i would reset the ecu and take the car for a drive i would get a Temporary DTC P1467..after diagnosing that stupid code for 2months it turned out that i wasnt getting a signal from the ecu at A15 pin, instead i would get a constant 12v when it should be duty cycling...i guess it just shorted out the evap circuit on the ecu and caused no other problems except for the evap stuff
Old 01-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well that most likely explains why I threw an Inc for the evap moniter, but what about the catalyst moniter and 02 sensor? I changed the damn thing already... I know it was a Denso sensor, i bought it when I needed other parts, so i got it with a bunch of things and I definitely don't have the box it came in anymore as I changed it a while ago.

What's the process in fixing the short then?

I had an alarm installed in the past 4 months, and there was a lot of wiring done, obviously, could that some how have messed something up?
Old 01-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ur evap bypass sol might be bad cuz it gets corroded so that might fix ur evap monitor problem..the cat and 02 im not sure about...there is usually 2 o2 monitors..1 is 02 sensor itself which should already be set when the car is first started and the other is the Heated 02 which should take some driving just like the cat to be able to get Enabled...if u Do have a short in ur ecu then u would need to replace it
Old 01-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ur evap bypass sol might be bad cuz it gets corroded so that might fix ur evap monitor problem
this seems like a harmless fix, how wrong am I?

there is usually 2 o2 monitors..1 is 02 sensor itself which should already be set when the car is first started
then could there be something wrong with my primary sensor, even though there's no code for it? Like I stated earlier, i haven't replaced the primary, ever. and i dont have a record of it being changed, so thats a red flag in my mind.

and the other is the Heated 02 which should take some driving just like the cat to be able to get Enabled.
yea, that one is fine though. its one of the only ones that passed lol.

if u Do have a short in ur ecu then u would need to replace it
holy ****, i sure hope not. if this is the case how much would another stock ecu be?
Old 01-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the evap bypass sol and valve is an easy fix..its located on top of ur fuel tank or to the side of it..i think its like 80-100 for both

since u never replace ur primary 02 i suggest u do since its not settings the 02 sensor monitor..could also be y ur cat monitor isnt setting also

IF it is ur ecu that is bad u could prob find a cheap ecu on ebay..if u get one from the dealership its usually 400+
Old 01-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn ekb16, you're really helpful.

this makes me want to cancel my appt tomorrow morning and instead change the primary 02 sensor, reset everything again and try this process over again. I'll look into the evap bypass solenoid and valve as well. Good lookin man
Old 01-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive had these same problems b4 so i know somewhat about ur issues..

good luck and solving ur probem, just pm me if u still have any questions and ill try my best and help u out if i can
Old 01-13-2009, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if u need a evap canister to fix ur evap monitor..i got 1 for sale
Old 01-13-2009, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe you have a bad o2 sensor.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by v8 integra
if u need a evap canister to fix ur evap monitor..i got 1 for sale
I'll def hit you up tomorrow if I need it. good lookin

yea im buyin another 02 sensor tomorrow
Old 01-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll def hit you up tomorrow if I need it. good lookin

yea im buyin another 02 sensor tomorrow
aite np.. i bought it for no reason cuz im running obd1... lmk
Old 02-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bro, how did you make out? I did a mini me and are currently dealing with the same ****. No CEL what so ever after doing the potentiometer trick for the FPS but now the EVAP monitoring **** is out of wack. Is there a way to loop back the system to trick it?

My rejection sticker expires this Tuesday (2/17/09).
Old 02-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eastbobdam
Bro, how did you make out? I did a mini me and are currently dealing with the same ****. No CEL what so ever after doing the potentiometer trick for the FPS but now the EVAP monitoring **** is out of wack. Is there a way to loop back the system to trick it?

My rejection sticker expires this Tuesday (2/17/09).
no way to really trick the system...u just gotta drive it and if there is something wrong wit the system then the CEL will come on...the evap monitor is probably the harder one and longest one to get to set..best way is to start the car cold and let it idle until the fan comes on 1x..drive it on the freeway for at least 30-40miles around trip and check to see if the monitor is set..if it doesnt set then let the car cool down again and start over...keep doing it and eventually something will happen, either a CEL will pop up or the system will set to ready
Old 02-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no way to really trick the system...u just gotta drive it and if there is something wrong wit the system then the CEL will come on...the evap monitor is probably the harder one and longest one to get to set..best way is to start the car cold and let it idle until the fan comes on 1x..drive it on the freeway for at least 30-40miles around trip and check to see if the monitor is set..if it doesnt set then let the car cool down again and start over...keep doing it and eventually something will happen, either a CEL will pop up or the system will set to ready
I have no CEL and have over 500 miles logged. Do you think this is from the mini me swap? I took it to the inspection station and had a bunch of readiness codes throw but the second time I went and got sent away, there were only three and they were the EVAP, and two others that I can't remember, I think the CAT somthing but I had a new Catalytic converter installed so I know it can't be that.

There is not way to like loop the hoses back into themselves? I need one to clear and I should be good.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll be doing a complete motor swap in the next couple of weeks, just a "more fresh" Y8 with a few goodies, but nothing serious just yet.

I'm hoping to pass inspection after the swap goes in, im just gonna wait till then, its just too fu((ing frustrating to keep failing at it.

I threw a test pipe on because my cat is just horrendous and its been running noticeably better.

Honda wanted [a minimum] $102 to diagnose the [potential] problem with the ECU, I laughed and deceided to wait it out and see what happens after the swap. its just a pain in the ***
Old 02-13-2009, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll be doing a complete motor swap in the next couple of weeks, just a "more fresh" Y8 with a few goodies, but nothing serious just yet.

I'm hoping to pass inspection after the swap goes in, im just gonna wait till then, its just too fu((ing frustrating to keep failing at it.

I threw a test pipe on because my cat is just horrendous and its been running noticeably better.

Honda wanted [a minimum] $102 to diagnose the [potential] problem with the ECU, I laughed and deceided to wait it out and see what happens after the swap. its just a pain in the ***
I hear ya bro.....but be warned because I had an 97 Cx and did the mini me swap (Y8 head) and I don't know if this caused the EVap **** or not. I think my next step is to go back and get another rejection sticker to buy me two more months (I believe I can do this) and then swapping my Y7 TB (3 wire) back in and repinning the ECU back to the original configuration and then going to get a sticker. I think these issues are coming from the P2P ECU....... I was also wondering if I could trick the monitoring system somehow by looping the EVAP hoses back to itself or somehting. I did the pot trick to get rid of code 91 or P0453 and it worked. This is what sucks, I have no CEL's/Codes and I passed safety, it's just the stupid monitoring **** is not ready and killing/preventing me from passing!

Quick Reply: FAILED inspection - twice for same thing [OBD not ready]