Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

failed attempt to bleed with vacuum pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default failed attempt to bleed with vacuum pump .. need pointers for 2nd attempt

ok i don't know exactly what i did wrong ... but it didn't work ... i bought the vacuum bleeder from autozone ... i put a closed wrench on the bleeder screw, and used the B sized L adapter to connect the screw to the tube which was connected to the top of the container which was connected to the tube connected to the vacuum gun.

I would not get a vacuum seal on i think two of the screws, i tried different adapters the A was too big and the C was too small ... i would pump the vacuum ten times n slowly the pressure would fall ... as soon as i opened the valve the pressure would shoot to zero ...

and on the screws where there was an actual air seal, it didn't seem to work right, around the screw i saw small bubbles, and then in the line there would be a big gap of air in between the fluid like 8 inches long ... idk what the heck ... my brakes are spongy ...

def not as tight as they used to be ... they work but i miss my firm pedal ... im def gonna rebleed ... any pointers on using the vacuum? or should i just have someone pump the pedal while i do the "OG" style of bleeding? i've searched but haven't found anything with regards to the specifics of vacuum bleeding.

thanx in advance to all HT-ers

Modified by ibe2fly at 10:30 PM 7/6/2005
Old 07-07-2005, 03:01 AM

Default Re: failed attempt to bleed with vacuum pump .. need pointers for 2nd attempt (ibe2fly)

bump
Old 07-07-2005, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: failed attempt to bleed with vacuum pump .. need pointers for 2nd attempt (ibe2fly)

OG style has always worked for me.

A tip (from Jim Blake, I believe): Use some thick grease and put it around the bleed screw/bleed hose such that it acts like a sealer. The hose sometimes doesn't make a good seal and will allow air to be sucked past it - so give the grease a go.

And also becareful with the OG style - when you get done pumping and someone breaks the bleeder screw loose, try and not let the brake pedal hit the floor. During normal operation, the brake pedal never fully depresses and the area in the master cylinder that is not touched by the piston/seal can become dirty. And so when bleeding the brakes and you allow the pedal to sink, the debris could tear the seal in the master cylinder.

But if you change the brake fluid on a normal basis, this doesn't generally happen.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:03 AM

Default Re: failed attempt to bleed with vacuum pump .. need pointers for 2nd attempt (EE_Chris)

thanx dude ... since im gonna be by myself prob ill try the grease method ... is there any preferable grease? ... i have some caliper grease still left over from my caliper install ... do you think that would work? or is there some kind of grease that i should buy like a tub of from an auto store?
Old 07-07-2005, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like the marina grease - the really thick ****...thicker than Vasoline. It can't be thin enough such that the vacuum from the pump is easily pulling air past it.

And if that doesn't work and you're still left to do the job by yourself - Russell Speed Bleeders.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:22 AM

Default Re: failed attempt to bleed with vacuum pump .. need pointers for 2nd attempt (EE_Chris)

thx
Old 07-07-2005, 01:54 PM

did u mean marine grease? i searched and all i could come up with was marine grease from advanced auto

http://www.partsamerica.com/Pr...72229