Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

factory option foglight question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 factory option foglight question

I have a question bout the factory option foglights. When you have the headlights on and flip on the hi beam does the fogs trip off????

Reason i am asking is because took my 00 si to get the annual state inspection done. The mechanic failed me cause the factory option foglights do not cancel out when the headlights are switched from low to hi beam. I didnt think that was started till after 2001.
Any help would be appreciated
Old 05-26-2009, 10:17 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Re: factory option foglight question

That is probably how foglights in your state are supposed to be wired, and I believe that applies across North America. Dates back further than 2000, because the USDM 92-95 Civic 5th Gen wiring diagram operates like that (off with high-beams). JDM does NOT. JDM foglights appear to be able to work at any time, lights on or off. Some North American jurisdictions allow foglights to be operated independently of the lights like that completely (eg., British Columbia) but I think they still have to be off with high-beams.

I think that the aftermarket brands of foglights often include a wiring diagram that would not comply with vehicle conspicuity laws.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the depot yellow jdm lights and they are pluged into the fuse box. all the wires are there so i dont really know. The guy gave me the run around about it being a modified vehicle. so maybe it was a sign that they wont be my choice next time. 15 bux sounded cheap so now i know why because they pick it apart.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Yes, the Depo lights are your problem. I recommend wiring them the right way, anyway. Who wants fog lights on anyway when you're using your high beams? It's dangerous - your eye should be focusing on road that is far away ... fogs light up the road closer to the car and your reaction time is diminished if your eye is focused there.

Otherwise, remove the lights, remove the switch, return to the place for their approval.

The Depo switch and wiring harness is hard to adapt to work properly on North American cars ... what I did on my CDM 1994 Civic was to adapt an OEM JDM switch and harness to work properly over here. It required only one wire T-taps and a small strip of sheet metal. It's even easier if your USDM car doesn't have Daytime Running Lights!
Old 05-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

depo wirng sucks ***!.
pull the lights and switch take it back and pass then put them back in
if you like them.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have resolved the problem. thanks to all the input. the place i usually take the car dont pick the car apart to inspect it so i just am gonna have a friend take care of it. thanks again.

the depot wire does suck but i cant just order the wire harness from honda tried that have to buy the whole light kit. i spliced in to the wiring to put a oem switch in the car so you cant really tell unless you take the dash apart that its depot wires.