Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Fact or Fiction(s)?: Aftermarket Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fact or Fiction(s)?: Aftermarket Steering Wheel

Okay, so i JUST got this NRG quick release hub & Momo Steering wheel. Now I WAS gonna go dive right in and try to install it myself but I peeped around a bit a foud a few things that kinda bothered me. So this is what i've been reading--just go ahead and say if it's fact or fiction y0

1) With the aftermarket wheel the SRS light will come on, and there's no legitimate way to have it turned off. (reference wise, getting behind the dash to pull the bulb or mask over with electrical tape is ILLegitimate)

2) I still need yet another spacer on top (or under rather) of the quick release because the quick release won't just bolt on by itself.

3) Living in CA, it is breaking some sort of law to not have an Airbag AND that i will need an operational Airbag for some sort of test like Emissions/Registration.

4) There is some sort of violation or retraction on some insurance policies for not having an airbag. (altho I don't know if it would apply to me exactly since im only on liability?)

And anything else that wasn't brought up and you think probably should be go ahead and mention it.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fact or Fiction(s)?: Aftermarket Steering Wheel (Orangedragone)

1. yes, the light will come on because the airbag is missing.

2. yes, you need an adapter hub from your car to the momo 6 fastener pattern

3. you do not need an airbag legally for emissions nor registration.

4. yes, you can have retraction of coverage if they can prove that injuries sustained were because of your modifications to the vehicle...i.e. you wouldn't have died if there was an airbag vs your momo wheel...not likely, but possible.

how will you adress your horn?
Old 01-05-2006, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fact or Fiction(s)?: Aftermarket Steering Wheel (littleredcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by littleredcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. yes, the light will come on because the airbag is missing.

3. you do not need an airbag legally for emissions nor registration.

4. yes, you can have retraction of coverage if they can prove that injuries sustained were because of your modifications to the vehicle...i.e. you wouldn't have died if there was an airbag vs your momo wheel...not likely, but possible.

how will you adress your horn?</TD></TR></TABLE>

What he said. The horn will be the least of your issues. Very easy to install
Old 01-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fact or Fiction(s)?: Aftermarket Steering Wheel (littleredcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by littleredcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

so that's a yes as in not only will the quick release act as like a 3in spacer, but an adapter hub will add on to those 3 inches?
Old 01-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, basically your wheel will feel uncomfortable because it sticks out about 2-3 inches more than stock. It only feels uncomfortable for a while though, you just have to get used to reaching for the turn signal. You can remedy that by buying a shorter hub but they tend to be more pricey than a momo hub.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is a federal offense to remove or otherwise disable or tamper with the airbag system.

get into an accident and it could be a life long mistake, just to look cool. and all usdm cars built in 1992 must have a drivers side airbag. passenger side i think was required on 1994+ cars so it is easy for insurance and lawyers to check whether you should have one or not , if it gets to that point. when your insurance adjust looks at your damage on the claim, no airbag?? you will be dropped instantly, and everything from that point is out of pocket.

i had the nrg quick release and a rare mugen wheel, used it twice then thought about the possibilities... unfortunately i have a lot to loose and sold it...and unfortunately i cant control idiots next to me.

also keep in mind, when the police do a plate check it shows on the computer "air bag equipped" and in all accidents that is the first thing we ask after "are you ok" not only that you will have a sticker in your door jam that says airbag.

most get away with it, but just hope you dont hit someone who knows what to look for or have a cop who knows what they are doing.

good luck. ill make sure im way behind you.