Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Extended shifter ghetto fab style

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I suppose.

Though in drag racing a 200hp civic against some asshat in his ford focus on the street, on an actual track, RWD, and lots of power, you'll go sideways if you come out of that groove, straight up, g2 be ready to correct so you don't eat a wall.

So I guess I can see its necessity, thx for the explanation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you cant really count that if its not a street car theres a 90 percent chance the dude is trans brakeing, then after the wheelie or w/e the torque makes him do he goes back to shifting linear transmissons
Old 06-07-2007, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Extended shifter ghetto fab style (Bense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol you guys are spending wayyyyy too much time arguing about how it won't work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

they probably spent more time bitching about how it wont work than you to make the ******* thing
Old 06-07-2007, 12:11 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Extended shifter ghetto fab style (Team RS2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Team RS2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

they probably spent more time bitching about how it wont work than you to make the ******* thing </TD></TR></TABLE>

Did I ever say it wouldn't work? I know why he made it. I actually defended why he made it.

You people need to learn the difference between a discussion of function and an argument of worth.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Extended shifter ghetto fab style (Eran)

Old 06-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

if i see any more drama in here i'm gonna dock % and ban lol
Old 06-07-2007, 03:16 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Bense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if i see any more drama in here i'm gonna dock % and ban lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't really see any "drama" (save for a few unnecessary comments), just primarily a decent discussion.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Padawan)

He's right, we must listen to tha Bense
Old 06-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks as good as a hairless Donkey

You could remove your antenna to your stereo with that shifter.

seems like your arm will have to move alot more dont really get it.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Extended shifter ghetto fab style (Budget Racer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Budget Racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

seems like your arm will have to move alot more dont really get it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have to agree.. I understand wanting the **** right by the wheel like in touring cars, but those are different this thing is just going to make the throw very long
Old 06-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Extended shifter ghetto fab style (gtlaw1)

It would be nice to see this fabbing in conjunction with a full-race short throw setup that you may have found.

I do however understand that this looks to be a product of boredome for you
Old 06-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Extended shifter ghetto fab style (gtlaw1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gtlaw1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have to agree.. I understand wanting the **** right by the wheel like in touring cars, but those are different this thing is just going to make the throw very long</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 06-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Extended shifter ghetto fab style (Budget Racer)

yeah a true kit for this idea could probably be fabbed up pretty nicely like that guy who made all that crazy custom linkage when he put his b18c in his delsol trunk rwd....?
that was some crazy *** linkage
then you could have nice short throw shifts and the convenience

i also just thought of a way to make this idea even cheaper
install the short throw...buy the coupling...use old longthrow shifter upside down
done

rofl

Modified by digitalcongo at 9:47 PM 6/13/2007
Old 06-07-2007, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Extended shifter ghetto fab style (digitalcongo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Team RS2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you cant really count that if its not a street car theres a 90 percent chance the dude is trans brakeing, then after the wheelie or w/e the torque makes him do he goes back to shifting linear transmissons </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, the trans-am had a trans-brake, but you had to shift it by pushing it forward for each gear (linear) - though I was just saying it made sense to have it so close since you need to have both hands on the wheel in case u need to countersteer if you pop out of the groove so I guess it makes since for roadracing and autocross too where two hands are more necessary .
Old 07-20-2007, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Extended shifter ghetto fab style (Syndacate)

I just made my Extended Shifter, ghetto fab style the other day haha. Nice little write up
Old 07-20-2007, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (solbrothers)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by solbrothers &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

please don't do this bense!!! you are too much of an asset to hondatech </TD></TR></TABLE>

stop nut swinging please...

bense you do it again
Old 07-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Go Tigers!

Default Re: Extended shifter ghetto fab style (Jake1220)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jake1220 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just made my Extended Shifter, ghetto fab style the other day haha. Nice little write up</TD></TR></TABLE>

how do you like it?

I ended up breaking my ebay short shifter with this extension. so now I'm using the stock shifter. I'm going to make like 2-3" extension and keep it straight and see how that works
Old 07-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice
Old 07-31-2007, 09:36 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how do you like it?

I ended up breaking my ebay short shifter with this extension. so now I'm using the stock shifter. I'm going to make like 2-3" extension and keep it straight and see how that works </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I actually ordered a 4" stud, I love it, works great. I have a SS shifter, I don't trust Aluminum especially with the extra leverage of the extended shifter.

Part #93805A440 - 100 mm 18-8 SS Stud for $6.09
Old 07-31-2007, 10:45 AM
Go Tigers!

where'd you get your stainless shifter?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was inspired by this thread to make one or buy one for my car,but i wanted something slightly better then threaded rod and the circuit hero one is like 35-40 bucks.After google searching for awhile I found this.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/96117_500.htm

14.99. I think It was less then 20 shipped.

And with the info I gathered from this thread about the thread pitch I saw that it was the same so I went ahead and ordered one.

(please excuse my dirty shitty looking interior )

You can see in the picture where the **** would be without the extension.From the picture it doesn't seem closer to the wheel but trust me it is.Bad angle.If you can understand what im saying it feels like it makes shifts more "positive" and easier.I use to have a hard time putting it all the way in reverse sometimes and that went away completly.I even let my gf drive and shes like "that does make a diffrence"
Old 07-31-2007, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Extended shifter ghetto fab style (cbustuner)

My bad its actually a "billet alloy steel" B&M Shifter
Old 07-31-2007, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not that this is uber JDM ****, but I'd actually recommend getting a solid unthreaded rod and threadding it yourself. I paid $20 for a harbor-freight tap/die kit (which has more than paid for itself, including any broken taps/dies), and it includes a die of this thread size. This would also be the ultimate bling, since you can easily polish it

I'm personally looking into making my own shifter, getting a steel ball, welding on rods, and using sealed ball bearings for below. I needed to get bearings anyways, my Junk2 shifter bearings (unsealed, rustable tool steel!) were seized up after sitting 2 months. This way I can fix/move the shifter possition back (Hondas were made for little people with their noses on the wheel), lenthen it, and keep the throw the same with a longer underside lever.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Extended shifter ghetto fab style (solbrothers)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cbustuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was inspired by this thread to make one or buy one for my car,but i wanted something slightly better then threaded rod and the circuit hero one is like 35-40 bucks.After google searching for awhile I found this.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/96117_500.htm

14.99. I think It was less then 20 shipped.

And with the info I gathered from this thread about the thread pitch I saw that it was the same so I went ahead and ordered one.

(please excuse my dirty shitty looking interior )

You can see in the picture where the **** would be without the extension.From the picture it doesn't seem closer to the wheel but trust me it is.Bad angle.If you can understand what im saying it feels like it makes shifts more "positive" and easier.I use to have a hard time putting it all the way in reverse sometimes and that went away completly.I even let my gf drive and shes like "that does make a diffrence"
</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol damn thats cheap
Old 03-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Extended shifter ghetto fab style

This inspired me to make my own. I have a long torso and don't fit in a Civic too well, so I have to lean the seat back. I had to sit up again to get to 3rd and 5th, so I did the threaded rod extension. Mine has an S-bend in it, though. I will post pics when I get my Hurst aluminum T-handle for it, so it looks extra nice and total race. I also gutted the back for total race. I'm thinking about fitting a PVC roll cage in it as well, and making a fire extinguisher out of a 2-liter bottle. Well, something that looks like a fire extinguisher anyway.

The shifter works really well for me so far, with the stock shift ****.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 PICS!

I have now completed the EXTREME TOTAL RACE shifter modification to my 1989 Honda Civic. Here are the pictures.

Purple insert for MAXIMUM BLING. Only I know it's there. Well... now anyone who reads this knows, too.

Installed with thread lock for EXTREME SPEED RACE SHIFTING of MAXIMUM SHIFT THROW FORCE.

The Hurst **** and modified shift rod. Notice the bag of Damp-Rid. My doors and windows do not seal for ULTIMATE RACE CABIN PRESSURE DIFFERENTIAL BALANCE PRESSURIZATION. The only drawback is that they leak when it rains. Also notice the vice-grip window crank, so I can do a LAST MINUTE RACE DISCARD WEIGHT LOSS TECHNIQUE in case I need that 1/100 second to win a race. The stereo and glove box have been removed for weight savings, as well as the door speakers. In fact, the car has no speakers at all. My seat cover has a skull on it for IN YOUR FACE PRE-RACE INTIMIDATION PSYCHE-OUT.

Fear my 175/70R13 PLUS ONE sized tires for SUPER VELOCITY STREET RACING.

PERFORMANCE MODIFIED TURN-SIGNAL LENS. If anyone tries to pass me on the right, I can perform the STREET RACE PASS BLINDING TECHNIQUE by putting on my right turn signal.

Last edited by Texas Wheelman; 10-03-2019 at 01:40 PM. Reason: New URLs for images... 9 and a half years later

Quick Reply: Extended shifter ghetto fab style