Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

expletive GM SYNCHROMESH OIL

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default expletive GM SYNCHROMESH OIL

ok well i had a slight 3rd gear grind annd eveyone is tellin me gm synchromesh is so badass and it will help get rid of the grind. so im like ok i drain my tranny and fill that bitch up wit some good gm synch when im done i start my car up and take it for a lil tet drive and lo and behold it didnt do squat if anything it grinds even louder now and even when down shifting.

so my ? is what other options do i have, besides fixing my tranny or gettin a new, to get rid of the 3rd gear grind
and if ur answer is ATF someone already told me that and they can go expletive themself
and if ur answer is honda performance gear oil then where can i get that cuz autozone doesnt have it
thanks =]
Old 11-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: expletive GM SYNCHROMESH OIL (EGk3nrock)

Did you use the Friction Modified formula?

If the fluid didn't help, your transmission is probably so badly damaged that you will not be able to mask the problem.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Someone a few day's ago asked about grinding going into 3rd.

Like I told them, IMO you have a broken shift fork.

Time to rebuild the tranny. Been there done that.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: expletive GM SYNCHROMESH OIL (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you use the Friction Modified formula? </TD></TR></TABLE>

All those people that told you to use GM syncromesh... smart ppl.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oil is not going to save you now, you use oil to prevent that in the first place, oil cant save what isn't there. Pull it out and find out whats wrong with it.

If you start having shifting problems left and right, more than likely a bearing issue. Listen for bearing noise in neutral. Clutch in and out and listen for a groaning noise from the transmission.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:45 PM
memoryFAB.com representative

i think for you to invest so much trust into gear oil here, its not going to fix the issue no matter what! if your 3rd gear is that bad.. then youll need to have it rebuilt.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SYCHROMESH IS ******* GARBAGE!!!!

If your running honda MTF and your tranny is acting up, guess what?? YOUR TRANNY HAS A PROBLEM!!! There is no "majic fluid" thats gonna cure your grinds or whatever problem you have. All of you idiots running synchromesh because it "stopped my - gear grind" are a bunch of morons and your transmission will take a **** before you know it.

Honda knows whats best for honda trannys. Not a **** hole company like GM.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:45 PM

Default Re: (Bejita)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bejita &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">SYCHROMESH IS ******* GARBAGE!!!!

If your running honda MTF and your tranny is acting up, guess what?? YOUR TRANNY HAS A PROBLEM!!! There is no "majic fluid" thats gonna cure your grinds or whatever problem you have. All of you idiots running synchromesh because it "stopped my - gear grind" are a bunch of morons and your transmission will take a **** before you know it.

Honda knows whats best for honda trannys. Not a **** hole company like GM.</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn the anger... i've used honda mtf and gm syncromesh in my boosted d series... the syncromesh friction modified shifts smoother in all rpm ranges then the honda mtf... so it's not garbage.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:36 AM

GM is not a "S$%thole Co.", globally they control more of the automobile market than Honda and I'm sure they were a top 10 Corp. in the US this year. I like my Civic however, I don't agree with that statement at all. relax!
Old 11-12-2007, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your best bet would be to start searching for a used tranny, throw it in, and then start rebuilding your original. Thats what I did. Then you have a fresh tranny for your car.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:39 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

As others have stated if your grind is that bad unfortunately no fluid will fix it.

I personally prefer Genuine Honda MTF (manual transmission fluid) for my transmissions, but again that's not going to fix an already damaged 3rd gear synchro issue.

GM Syncromesh is only something I'd see using to PREVENT gear grinds to make the shifting smoother, or if you have a very slight, random grind in a gear.

Once the grind and noise progresses to the consistent, does it most every time you shift at high rom (or worse, every time regradless of rpm) then it's time to rebuild or buy a new tranny.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:34 AM
HRD PKR

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bejita &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">SYCHROMESH IS ******* GARBAGE!!!!

Honda knows whats best for honda trannys. Not a **** hole company like GM.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this guy speaks the truth!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ive used snycromesh for years without a prob.but that with a old *** si tranny.but if i had a new tranny or close to new i would used honda tranny fuild.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (zccr-xsi)

that oil isn't a miracle, you know. Its more like a bandaid to let you save up for another tranny.

Get a new tranny, put Honda MTF in it and forget it.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:06 AM
dAng!

I've used the friction modified version for a high rpm grind going into 3rd, 4th, and 5th in a used 95 gsr transmission. The trans would shift fine at lower rpms with an occasionally bump, but the upper rpms were the problem points. Translation, the synchros were going, but not completely gone. The change to friction modified synchromesh at this time pretty much eliminated any and all grinding. It didn't take out 100% of the grinding occasions, but it did get 99% of the problem solved and avoided an immediate internal repair.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 11-12-2007, 11:01 AM

Default Re: (bcpEG)

Royal purple is where it is at but i think that you might be at the point of no return!
Old 11-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i guess you also believe in santa clause too. i personally believe in the easter bunny myself.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Other syncromesh oils are garbage, the GM FM synchromesh is not. It performs better then Honda's mtf. if you don't think so then you haven't used it. honda knows whats best im sure, doesn't mean they use it. its a cheap econ car remember. civics tegs etc. lots of you think that GM FM synchromesh is thick, its 10w30 also, the extra stuff is friction modifier and other wear addictive.
Maybe you mistake it for Mazda/Toyota synchromesh? they are 75w90.
GM FM will make your shifts lots smoother. Ive heard many ppl say great things about it with the LSD trannys that chatter and make noise.
Id like to know why any of you would say bad things about GM FM. please tell us whats so bad about it or why its trash. sounds like ignorance to me. Only bad things about GM FM is the price is a few $ more then Honda's fluid and the FM fluid does not last as long as most mtf fluids. its good for about 6k miles of really hard driving.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:46 AM
HRD PKR

Default Re: (THC07)

its not better than honda mtf for long term use.... HONDA MTF is the only way to go...
Old 11-13-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: (B16B_coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16B_coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its not better than honda mtf for long term use.... HONDA MTF is the only way to go... </TD></TR></TABLE> So what were the results of both your long term tests? Which car/trans lasted the longest in your research, and how many miles? Both started out as NEW gearboxes right?
Old 11-13-2007, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B16B_coupe)

on stock internals..... Use the oil that was designed for the tranny!!

Genuine Honda MTF all the way!!!

Magic Fluids do not fix problems, they only make small problems berable until they turn into big problems and grenade.....

I would look into a quality used unit for sure! Or if you can affordd to have your ride off the road for a few weeks take out your tranny and bring it somewhere to be rebuilt
Old 11-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Transpoquick)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Transpoquick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">GM is not a "S$%thole Co.", globally they control more of the automobile market than Honda and I'm sure they were a top 10 Corp. in the US this year. I like my Civic however, I don't agree with that statement at all. relax! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, they are. They're already being outdone by Toyota (even in the truck department...the new Tundra beats the **** out of any N/A GM or Ford)...give it a few years and they'll be in more debt and outdone by Honda as well.

Another point, where was GM in the '07 Consumer Reliability Report? Honda was 1, 2 was Acura, 3 was Scion, 4 was Subaru, and 5 was Toyota...GM has 8 different brands compared to Toyota's 3 and Honda's 2 and they can't even get in the top 5.

American cars are heading down the crapper real quick.

GM's $300 Billion Debt
http://uspolitics.about.com/b/...t.htm
Ford's $150 Billion Debt
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/...ZL09k
Old 11-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (JKov240)

Synchromesh also takes a little while to work. You don't just pour it in and drive down the street and its fixed. I have used it many times to smooth out the 3rd and 4th gear grinds on our trannies. Please take some more time to evaluate the product before you call it crap. But wait.... I forgot everybody on honda-tech is an expert
Old 11-13-2007, 03:36 PM

Default Re: (THC07)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THC07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Other syncromesh oils are garbage, the GM FM synchromesh is not. It performs better then Honda's mtf. if you don't think so then you haven't used it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well sir here is where my first hand experience with GM snchroshit comes in. I bought a motor and tranny from Hmotors with less than 40k on them. Read all of the GM hype on this forum and decided to put it in my like new tranny. Within 2 weeks I had small grinds in 2nd and 3rd. I HAVE NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH ANY OTHER HONDA TRANS. I drained the synchroshit out and it was milky as hell. Put good ol Hond MTF back in an VOALA!! NEVER had a grind since.

Thats all of the proof I needed to make my statement.

Quick Reply: expletive GM SYNCHROMESH OIL