Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Explaining the difference between clutch and flywheel.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Explaining the difference between clutch and flywheel.

I was wondering how and what is the difference between the clutches, for instance OEM, Stage 1, 2, 3 ect.... what are purpuse of them or the stages?

What does a lighten flywheel do for your vehicle? I understand the saved weight but besides that is there any performance purpases?

What brand is "RELIABLE"? I only had experiences with Exedy and have had no complaint with them. I dont know anything or had any expieriences with ACT or any other brand. The only place that i looked for clutches at is on Ebay. I know that you should not be looking on ebay for items but i say if its "legit" items then its alright.

Your insight is greatly appreciated. I am looking to purchase ASAP.

Also would getting an OEM timing belt better or one of those kits on ebay?
Old 02-23-2009, 05:33 PM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Explaining the difference between clutch and flywheel.

This sort of question is best directed at Google to answer. This is the wrong venue to be asking this.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:01 PM

flywheel keeps your engine running, if you get a lighter one you can rev faster but your MPG will decrease. it also makes your engine run smooth, the clutch, difference are, oem is made for street euse and easy to drive for the average person, its got dampining springs for smooth engagement, thats OEM. aftermarket clutches depending how much power you are making and if its gunna be a daly driver. having a too extream of a clutch on the street will make it annoying to drive because of grabbing hardnes and if its a solid disk or had stiff dampening springs. id say if your making 500hp get a clutch thats rated to be used for 500hp and up, and also depending on what type of clutch your guna buy if its for the street or strict race. the most important thing is drivability!
Old 02-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Vietnamese!

Search.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stages are dependant on the manufacture...(Example; ebay mAd tYtE Stage 5, yO = ACT stage 3-ish...)

I would search more about the flywheel debate, and note there is a difference between FI or NA, street or drag or road race or MPG king...

I have had no problem with Exedy + you have had no problem with Exedy = Just stay with Exedy

Timing Belts/Water pumps are one of the things I go to Majestic or a Local dealer for... OEM quality > "Yeah, its OEM style"
Old 02-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hahaha Thanks for the info...!
Old 02-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by luder916
I was wondering how and what is the difference between the clutches, for instance OEM, Stage 1, 2, 3 ect.... what are purpuse of them or the stages?

What does a lighten flywheel do for your vehicle? I understand the saved weight but besides that is there any performance purpases?

What brand is "RELIABLE"? I only had experiences with Exedy and have had no complaint with them. I dont know anything or had any expieriences with ACT or any other brand. The only place that i looked for clutches at is on Ebay. I know that you should not be looking on ebay for items but i say if its "legit" items then its alright.

Your insight is greatly appreciated. I am looking to purchase ASAP.

Also would getting an OEM timing belt better or one of those kits on ebay?

1. The stages of the clutches are an easy way for people to associate the approximate torque capacity of a clutch with an easily-relatable numbering system. There is no real standard that denotes a "stage 1" or "stage 2" but it gives one a general idea. When buying a clutch, you need to match the torque capacity of the clutch to your goals, not just picking a "stage."

2. Light vs Heavy flywheel in lamens terms. You need to have a basic understanding of physics to grasp this concept entirely but here goes. A light flywheel takes less energy to accelerate and therefore carries less energy with it. A heavier flywheel takes more energy to accelerate; similarly, it carries more energy with it, making it harder to slow down. The easiest analogy for this is pushing a beach ball and pushing a bowling ball. The beach ball accelerates easily but doesn't carry much potential energy with it and stops easily. The bowling ball on the other hand takes more energy to accelerate, but is harder to stop than the beach ball.

If you understand this, you get the general concept. A heavier flywheel carries more potential energy with it than the lighter flywheel. This accounts for more potential energy in the higher load situations; thereby maintaining the acceleration rate at the sacrifice of initial energy...aka slower revving.

3. As for good clutch brands, there are a few that come to mind. I would suggest Exedy as you mentioned, Competition Clutch and ACT. Those seem to be the ones which most regularly show up on setups around here. There are others, but the aforementioned ones come to mind first.

4. Get an OEM timing belt. Saving a few bucks on an Ebay timing belt is not worth the risk. If you save $20 and it breaks, you ruin a good head. If it's a VTEC head, you're out $500. Get the OEM and move on...

I hope this helps...if you need any clarification, let us know. I'm not the best teacher in the world