Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exhausts

I am looking into getting a Magnaflow and I am wondering if it would work if I where to just get a muffler shop to install it from the cat and back on a stock exhausts system? What length reonator should I get (want to stay far away from the bumblebee effect)? Don't have a whole lot of money so I whould like to now what exhaust system would be the best bang for your buck type.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Exhausts (Bond)

22"
Old 03-20-2005, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use an oval straight through muffler with a 14in Magnaflow resonator, and it has a pretty low tone, I'm very happy with the combo.

edit: I'm using 2.5in piping
Old 03-20-2005, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhausts (93ejay1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93ejay1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">22"</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is a 22" resonator about the best size to get for a resonator? A quick newb question, does a resonator go after the cat or does it replace it? Also, what make of resonators do you suggest?
Old 03-20-2005, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhausts (rodrez.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rodrez. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I use an oval straight through muffler with a 14in Magnaflow resonator, and it has a pretty low tone, I'm very happy with the combo.

edit: I'm using 2.5in piping </TD></TR></TABLE>

What size piping is on my stock DX? whould it be still alright to use from the cat and back?
Old 03-20-2005, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Is a 22" resonator about the best size to get for a resonator? A quick newb question, does a resonator go after the cat or does it replace it? Also, what make of resonators do you suggest?</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's really no "best size," just depends on how much you want to tone it down. I prefer perforated resonators as opposed to the louvered type. The resonator usually goes after the cat around the middle of the car, similar to the stock piece. Personally, I like the Magnaflow version, but there's thousands of other makes out there, that will do the job

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What size piping is on my stock DX? whould it be still alright to use from the cat and back?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've never actually measured it, but I imagine the inner diameter is less than 2in. For a basic bolt on, manual car, I'd go with a 2.25in set up, unless your motor has more to it than bolt ons, or forced induction. You probably wouldn't see any gains from using the factory DX piping with an aftermarket muffler, it should be replaced to gain power. I recommend keeping your cat as well for a street car.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhausts (rodrez.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rodrez. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I've never actually measured it, but I imagine the inner diameter is less than 2in. For a basic bolt on, manual car, I'd go with a 2.25in set up, unless your motor has more to it than bolt ons, or forced induction. You probably wouldn't see any gains from using the factory DX piping with an aftermarket muffler, it should be replaced to gain power. I recommend keeping your cat as well for a street car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Where would I start the 2.25in piping? From the end of the stock header and back? I do not want to replace the whole exhaust system. Would it be cheaper to just start the 2.25in piping from the cat and back? I do not want to spend too much money on this. Just for the sound and minimal power upgrade. From what I understand is that I should keep the cat and add bigger piping (2.25in.) from the cat and back. Also would a 18" resonator keep the buzzing down, but still keep up the sound level for the most part?

Bump (For more feedback and suggestions.)
Old 03-21-2005, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always been a fan of the 22 inch resonator. IMO it's always good to keep it as low key as possible in order to detract unwanted attention.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll agree with that, although I wouldn't take it to a 22"... I think a 14" would suffice your purposes just fine.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kendall)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kendall &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've always been a fan of the 22 inch resonator. IMO it's always good to keep it as low key as possible in order to detract unwanted attention.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah. I think I'll go with 20". Can you guy's help me out though with what exactly I should do about my piping? Is what I said in my earlier post right? (starting the larger piping from the cat and back?) Please answer my other questions in my previous post too. Thanks in advance
Old 03-21-2005, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bond)

Yeah. I think I'll go with 20". Can you guy's help me out though with what exactly I should do about my piping? Is what I said in my earlier post right? (starting the larger piping from the cat and back?) Please answer my other questions in my previous post too. Thanks in advance </TD></TR></TABLE>

In most cases, a basic exhaust upgrade consists of piping (usually larger than factory), that runs from the back of the cat, to the muffler.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rodrez.)

Thanks for answering my newbie question. Do many people upgrade from the header and back? I guess it would kind of be pointless. Thanks all for replying. Now I am smarter!
Old 03-24-2005, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for answering my newbie question. Do many people upgrade from the header and back? I guess it would kind of be pointless. Thanks all for replying. Now I am smarter! </TD></TR></TABLE>

YOu can do custom piping from the header flange all the way out the back, but if it's a street car, it's a good idea to keep the cat on there
Old 03-24-2005, 07:58 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for answering my newbie question. Do many people upgrade from the header and back? I guess it would kind of be pointless. Thanks all for replying. Now I am smarter! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've got a HKS super dragger catback system on my car. It's just from the cat back, doesn't replace the piping between the header and cat. How much are you looking to spend? You might just want to look around the Classifieds section for someone that's selling a catback system. I got mine from someone on here for $100. Then again, you're also looking for something a magnaflow resignator.

You might want to look in the classifieds for someone that is offering to do custom piping. They would probably do it cheaper than a muffler shop would, unless you are actually going to do it yourself.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nota-ex)

Prolly do it my self. Have access to a tig welder and such. I whill go from the cat and back with a 20' magnaflow resonator and exhaust. It will be nice and low tone and no buzzing. Thanks for all the help guy's
Old 03-25-2005, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Prolly do it my self. Have access to a tig welder and such. I whill go from the cat and back with a 20' magnaflow resonator and exhaust. It will be nice and low tone and no buzzing. Thanks for all the help guy's </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you have access to a welder, you might consider piping from http://www.kteller.com. He sells pre bent, cat-back piping, as well as resonators, and mufflers on his site. We just put one of his piping kits on the http://www.sportcarmotion.com EH, and it's perfect.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rodrez.)

Thanks for the referal. I will check into this. Thanks again guy's.