Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Exhaust too loud?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust too loud?

I was pulled over about a week ago and given a $50 ticket for "an aftermarket exhaust with excessive noise emission." I have a Greddy EVO by the way. The cop said he pulled me over for speeding but would just give me that ticket instead. I was only going about 37-40 mph in a 30 mph. But my question is, don't they have to use some tool to measure the sound of the exhaust? He just told me to rev my engine so he could listen to it. I can't decide if I want to just pay or try to fight it.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Exhaust too loud? (bigslimdog)

Oh yeah, I live in Maryland by the way. Just in case the laws are different for each state.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

isn't the evo supposed to be low? well if i were you i would just eat it and just call it a day its only a fifty dollar ticket. no points were involed i'm assuming.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Exhaust too loud? (blackEJ1)

You will win, ok here is how to beat a exhaust ticket.

Take his *** to court, if he shows no worries, u will win.

Ask the Office if he is trianed to hear db levels, ask if he was trained to hear db levels by ear. he will say no
Ask the officer if he has a db reader. Ask when he pullied you over if he read how much db your exhaust noise was making, he will say he didn't do that
Ask the office how he was able to know that your muffler was 2 loud, if he was untrained to hear db levels.
also go on greddy.com and show them thats it's 50 state legel, and file a fucken herassmet suit on the officer, he will tell his buddies to leave your alone.

exhaust tickets anit ****, just mean u got to own them in court

[Modified by Quad-Damge, 3:17 AM 3/18/2003]
Old 03-17-2003, 06:22 PM

The cop said he pulled me over for speeding but would just give me that ticket instead
i say just pay it. bite the bullet for yourself and aftermarket parts owners. its just 50 bucks and the cop as doin you a favor by not givin you a speeding ticket
Old 03-17-2003, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Exhaust too loud? (blackEJ1)

isn't the evo supposed to be low? well if i were you i would just eat it and just call it a day its only a fifty dollar ticket. no points were involed i'm assuming.
Yeah there was no points. But I still don't feel like just giving away $50. I would only go to court if I had a chance to win.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you have a good chance of winning...
but it depends on the judge
Old 03-17-2003, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Exhaust too loud? (pennies_hatchie)

Dont take it to court the cop was helping you out man, you would have had pts deducted for speeding. be happy he didnt put the ticket for that
Old 03-18-2003, 09:33 AM

Generally a cop won't pull you over for less than 7mph over the limit. The collected fines are cancelled out by court costs. He could have written you a ticket but it would have only been like $50 and MAYBE 2 pts. And if you were to show up in court that ticket would prob be dropped as well. If you don't want to pay the $50 and you have the time, fight it. Whats the worst that could happen? They say no, and you pay the fine anyway.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:40 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Exhaust too loud? (SlowBlueSi)

Generally a cop won't pull you over for less than 7mph over the limit. The collected fines are cancelled out by court costs. He could have written you a ticket but it would have only been like $50 and MAYBE 2 pts. And if you were to show up in court that ticket would prob be dropped as well. If you don't want to pay the $50 and you have the time, fight it. Whats the worst that could happen? They say no, and you pay the fine anyway.
If you go to court you have to pay court costs. It's not free..
Old 03-18-2003, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust too loud? (mantic6t9)

In GA there is no decible law. The law just says no exhaust shalle be "excessive" in noise.

Basically its subject to the officers interpretation. He even admitted to me later on that day in court that he was having a competition with his buddy to see who could write out the most citations.

If your in GA just pay the friggin ticket. Instead of paying 75 bux I had to pay 150.....the judge was a dick also.

We were in traffic and I rev'd to no more then 3000 rpm and he said he couldn't hear his radio.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Exhaust too loud? (Apex i ITR)

take it to court, you will win!!! just mention that any Harley Davidson in the world is 20 times louder, and have you ever seen one of those pulled over??? cause i never have!!!
Old 03-18-2003, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Exhaust too loud? (IEATLINT)

I hardly think taking it to court is worth it... court cost + time.

I would just pay that stupid ticket
Old 03-18-2003, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust too loud? (Blck_Hatch_of_Doom)

just swallow your pride and pay the fine. At least you know that you are right, and we know you are right as well. Cops will be ****** somtimes and at least he didnt give you a ticket for speeding. Modding cars comes with many consequences..and this ticket you got is just one of em.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Exhaust too loud? (Quad-Damge)

You will win, ok here is how to beat a exhaust ticket.

Take his *** to court, if he shows no worries, u will win.

Ask the Office if he is trianed to hear db levels, ask if he was trained to hear db levels by ear. he will say no
Ask the officer if he has a db reader. Ask when he pullied you over if he read how much db your exhaust noise was making, he will say he didn't do that
Ask the office how he was able to know that your muffler was 2 loud, if he was untrained to hear db levels.
also go on greddy.com and show them thats it's 50 state legel, and file a fucken herassmet suit on the officer, he will tell his buddies to leave your alone.

exhaust tickets anit ****, just mean u got to own them in court
I recently got a ticket for a loud exhaust too. Its funny because I was driving at 15 mph, just got out the car wash. Cop says I had a modified exhaust-Excessive noise. Took his *** to court. Basically did what Quad-Damage said and I won. CASE DISMISSED. Btw I have a piece of **** OBX exhaust.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Exhaust too loud? (mantic6t9)

If you go to court you have to pay court costs. It's not free..
Yea and in my case a days worth of work. Court fees + loss in pay for the day = more money than the ticket. I was pissed, If I was you just pay the ticket and carry on.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:44 AM

well you don't want to pay $50, but keep in mind, if you go to court, there is a $30 court fee. If you don't win you'll end up paying $80, if you do, your still going to pay $30. I would just pay the ticket and put it past you.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Exhaust too loud? (JDMDELSOL)

Wowz you guys have to pay a court fee? Here in nyc... if you get a pink ticket you have to go to court and if you win you pay nothing, if you loose you gotta pay the fine. The yellow tickets and white tickets, you got no choice, gotta pay those.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i got a ticket like that in california, and the law over there is such that the car has to be put through a test while going on a flat surface at 30 mph. i dont remember the exact maximum decibal level. but its pretty easy to pass. when i went to the highway patrol station they didnt want to even bother with the test, the cop just signed the ticket and i paid nothing. damn pigs.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust too loud? (FlatlineLemon)

Some states don;t have decibel lows so your @ the mercy of the cop or judicial system.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust too loud? (Apex i ITR)

I was in court in Atlanta and the judge just asked this kid if he had it changed (muffler) and he said yes. So the judge dropped the charges.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Exhaust too loud? (Caveman74)

i took it to court, and it was in my favor untill the judge saw that on the ticket the cop put a number where i can get a certificate for my exhaust saying that it is leagal in noise pollution or something like that. then the judge starting leaning twards the cops. he said that he has no choice but to fine me because i didnt get the papers for it. cops suck ***
Old 03-18-2003, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Exhaust too loud? (ThisLittleSleepeR)

Well I think I'm gonna take it to court. I'm only in high school so the worst that could happen is I miss a day of school and pay the $50 ticket Court costs is $23 so maybe I'll end up missin school AND winning
Old 03-18-2003, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldnt fight it if you were really speeding b/c he was doing you a favor so you should do him one! but if you were going the speed limit fight it b/c he harrasing you! I hate COPS that think they can walk all over people b/c they have a badge!
Old 03-18-2003, 02:58 PM

no laws in alaska, i got a header with a straight pipe and an n1 muffler, it's loud and the popo cant do anything

Quick Reply: Exhaust too loud?