Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Exhaust studs stripped

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Exhaust studs stripped

Hi all, I'll say sorry in advance if it seems like I don't know what I'm talking about because I really only know what my brother has helped me with with cars.

So I recently bought a 1999 CX, and it's missing one of the exhaust studs. Upon further investigation, it looks like the pin that was in place has stripped the thread where it was screwed in. My birther said the likely solution would be use a tap, does that make sense? Can someone explain that to me? Keeping in mind I'm pretty new to cars, though my brother did show me where it was missing and how it worked. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-29-2017, 05:54 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: Exhaust studs stripped

If you can provide a picture of the spot it's missing that might help. Aftermarket exhaust tends to be bolt and nut, and on both stock and aftermarket, one junction uses spring bolts.

Stock exhaust tends to have studs and nut setups.

Seeing exactly what you are describing would be helpful for others to provide you the most accurate feedback.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
If you can provide a picture of the spot it's missing that might help. Aftermarket exhaust tends to be bolt and nut, and on both stock and aftermarket, one junction uses spring bolts.

Stock exhaust tends to have studs and nut setups.

Seeing exactly what you are describing would be helpful for others to provide you the most accurate feedback.

So as you can see, the stud on the right has an extra nut on the end. It is loose because the hole it screws in to is stripped. The one to the right of it is completely gone as it is also stripped.

Last edited by RichterFry; 04-30-2017 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 04-30-2017, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

If you get a new stud and screw it all the way into the engine, you may find there are some threads left at the bottom of the hole. Otherwise use a Helicoil or similar thread repair kit.

The official stock nuts are made of special metal that does not rust as badly.

Never try to use a bolt here, always a stud and nut so it will engage with all the threads in the engine.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
If you get a new stud and screw it all the way into the engine, you may find there are some threads left at the bottom of the hole. Otherwise use a Helicoil or similar thread repair kit.

The official stock nuts are made of special metal that does not rust as badly.

Never try to use a bolt here, always a stud and nut so it will engage with all the threads in the engine.
So I got my father to take a look at it (he's a mechanic), and he took a couple bolts and tried to screw them in just to see if there was any thread left, and it turns out there is. However, even with the bolts in tight, the gasket was still pretty loose, and upon further inspection, the manifold itself is warped so I'll be replacing it soon. Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 04-30-2017, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Use all new studs and nuts when you do that. The ones you have now are too badly rusted.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Use all new studs and nuts when you do that. The ones you have now are too badly rusted.
Great, will do. I assume that the new manifold will come with new studs, but I guess I might have to rethread where those two were missing anyway.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can also look at converting the car to an EX-style exhaust system with the cat converter under the car instead of attached to the manifold. This has slightly higher performance and third party parts are more commonly found, so it may cost less.

The number one problem with those CX/DX/LX combo converter manifolds is they crack in the middle of the Y right above the O2 sensor. Yours actually didn't do that.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can also look at converting the car to an EX-style exhaust system with the cat converter under the car instead of attached to the manifold. This has slightly higher performance and third party parts are more commonly found, so it may cost less.

The number one problem with those CX/DX/LX combo converter manifolds is they crack in the middle of the Y right above the O2 sensor. Yours actually didn't do that.
Yeah I was surprised to see the cat converter at the front, like I mentioned before I'm not super good with cars and I always assumed that all cat converters were at the back. So there are civics of the same gen that have the cat converter at the back?
Old 04-30-2017, 09:08 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by RichterFry
Great, will do. I assume that the new manifold will come with new studs, but I guess I might have to rethread where those two were missing anyway.
No the header manifold will not come with the studs for the cylinder head. You either order them from Honda or pull them from wrecked cars at a you pull it yard. Save a couple of your nuts so when you pull the header off the junk car you can double nut the end and use an open end wrench to pull the stud from the cylinder head.

Look for rust free studs.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
No the header manifold will not come with the studs for the cylinder head. You either order them from Honda or pull them from wrecked cars at a you pull it yard. Save a couple of your nuts so when you pull the header off the junk car you can double nut the end and use an open end wrench to pull the stud from the cylinder head.

Look for rust free studs.
Okay thanks for letting me know. I'll def get some new ones. I think I'll be going with new parts instead of junk yard parts anyway.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:42 PM
Hysterically Calm

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-...nder-head.html