Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Exhaust Review: Tanabe Hyper Medallion on EG hatch

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Exhaust Review: Tanabe Hyper Medallion on EG hatch (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would definitely consider having this resonator replaced with a less restrictive, perforated-core design. The rest of the system looks good though. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, i wasn't happy about seeing that resonator either. But I'm willing to sacrifice some flow/power for noise level. maybe one day in the future i'll think about swapping it out for a perforated one. anybody know a good place to get them? Also, i don't know much about welding, but i'd imagine its more difficult/expensive to weld stainless steel.

the magnaflow cat backs are mandrel bent, bolt on systems. they are very nice too, especially for the money. Nobody is denying that. the point of this thread was more of a review, not really to decide what is the best exhaust ever, considering material, flow, power gains, price, construction quality, loudness, etc. Really I just wanted to put some feedback out there for everybody's benefit so they can decide themselves what exhaust they like.

regardless, i paid a lot for this exhaust, and I don't regret it. i'm very pleased with it, so I think that counts for at least something.

those sound clips are coming soon guys, i'll try to get them up later tonight. anybody know where i can host them? i tried signing up to we-todd-did, but i'm having trouble logging in and have already emailed them about it. can i use image station?
Old 05-14-2004, 06:45 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Synergy001)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Synergy001 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

but for $149 more...why not get a better brand. well anyways, its just like gettin rota c8's instead of mugen mf8 wheels. well its really up to your budget and preference. i dont know which exhaust is better unless they get dyno'd. but anyways....i wont regret how much i spent on this exhaust. its quiet and performs much better than stock.

Modified by Synergy001 at 2:22 AM 5/15/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just out of curiosity, what in your opinion makes Tanabe a better brand than Magnaflow? The analogy between Rota and Mugen isn't really an accurate one, since a good portion of the additional cost of the Mugen pieces is due to the fact that they are forged rather than cast (as is the case with Evos, SW388s. CP-035s, etc.). This difference is also what allows the more expensive wheels to "perform better", in so much as they are able to be lighter while still maintaining structural strength. In the case of Magnaflow vs. Tanabe exhausts, there aren't any vastly different manufacturing processes or materials that would contribute to a higher cost of one or the other, or enable one to perform better.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:06 PM

Default Re: (Padawan)

Damn have either of you guys seen or heard each exhaust system? While the Tanabe brings lightweight piping the Magnaflow brings better sound imo...and I have the Tanabe system.

The differences in mass produced exhaust systems is neglible. Whats 1 or 2 horse difference if that?

Hell my buddy runs a damn obx system on his car and had a great dyno chart to show for it.

Exhaust systems are pretty much just bling. Were paying 250-600 bucks for what 3-5 horsepower? Im not saying they aren't needed theyre just all the same.

Am I making sense? Because I dont think so...
Old 05-14-2004, 09:05 PM

Default Re: (RangerDan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RangerDan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn have either of you guys seen or heard each exhaust system? While the Tanabe brings lightweight piping the Magnaflow brings better sound imo...and I have the Tanabe system.

The differences in mass produced exhaust systems is neglible. Whats 1 or 2 horse difference if that?

Hell my buddy runs a damn obx system on his car and had a great dyno chart to show for it.

Exhaust systems are pretty much just bling. Were paying 250-600 bucks for what 3-5 horsepower? Im not saying they aren't needed theyre just all the same.

Am I making sense? Because I dont think so... </TD></TR></TABLE>

w3rd. you can spend $1,000 on intake header and exhaust, you wont get more than 10hp. it doesnt matter unless you want to make tons of power, or go FI.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Exhaust Review: Tanabe Hyper Medallion on EG hatch (carsaregood)

I was considering this exhaust for my 92 hatch but i was planning on putting my rear type-r lip on aswell and i know that the lip will make the bumper alittle lower. will i have to modify the hyper medallion exhaust to sit lower? since u guys had to cut part of the rear bumper off i was just wondering what kind of problems i would run into with a rear lip. and also if u could post sound clips. that'd be nice cuz i have the same set up as you ... EG w/ gsr and it be nice to hear what it sounds like before i buy it. thanks
Old 11-08-2004, 09:42 PM

Default Re: (RangerDan)

damn i wish i can get my hand on one of those its soo blingin like thats what i love
Old 11-08-2004, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Exhaust Review: Tanabe Hyper Medallion on EG hatch (carsaregood)

nice exhaust and I like that AEM intake

Did u get the intake for free, or u gonna buy one?
Old 11-09-2004, 12:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust Review: Tanabe Hyper Medallion on EG hatch (JapJunkie)

ok, lets see if this works. sorry guys, i never posted the sound clips until now.. and even still i just hapazardly edited a very long video to grab these clips. sorry about the huge "video edit magic" banner, i don't have any video editing software (or know-how for that matter), so i just found this free trial program. anyway, enjoy!

from inside the car, me racing my friend in his wrx
http://www.we-todd-did-racing....DE%3D

from the outside, from in the blue wrx
http://www.we-todd-did-racing....DE%3D
Old 11-09-2004, 12:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust Review: Tanabe Hyper Medallion on EG hatch (JapJunkie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JapJunkie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice exhaust and I like that AEM intake

Did u get the intake for free, or u gonna buy one?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, they gave it to me for free!! it was really nice of them, and the intake is really good quality. the fitment is perfect, the butt-dyno says it makes power. i would think its ready for production.

Modified by carsaregood at 1:46 AM 11/9/2004