Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

exhaust resonator (center pipe) independent of CA vs. Fed emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust resonator (center pipe) independent of CA vs. Fed emissions?

Hi. Thanks in advance for any information.

I have a 1992 Honda Civic DX Sedan 1.5 Manual, originally from California. I'm quite sure the converter is the original factory one, which means it is California style.

It is now time to replace the center exhaust pipe, between the converter and the muffler.

example of the part: WALKERŽ EXHAUST SYSTEMS :: E-Catalog Lookup

Question: Are there really two different exhaust pipes, one for California and one for Federal? Not quite the same question, but related: Is the California converter *physically interchangeable* with the Federal one?

I don't want to order a new pipe and find that it won't connect to the existing converter, or that it's too long, or whatever...

I tried to buy a perfect factory original, so I don't need to think about it, but they are hella out-of-stock.

Of course, it's a perfectly reasonable time to replace the converter too, but then I would still be faced with the same question, just further upstream in the exhaust.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2019, 07:11 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: exhaust resonator (center pipe) independent of CA vs. Fed emissions?

Cali CARB and Federal emissions doesn't usually change fitment. It's more about licensing and emission spec ratings.
The length and bolt patterns should be the same for 49 state and Cali CARB systems for the car.

Cali versions cost more as they also have to pass Cali CARB regulations and pay for that licensing.
That cost is passed onto the consumer. Fitment tends to be identical.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: exhaust resonator (center pipe) independent of CA vs. Fed emissions?

Thanks so much!
Old 05-31-2019, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Rumors are that the CARB-legal converters contain more active material than the typical aftermarket, so they work better and continue to work longer. The other parts though it is just paperwork.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just wanted to give an update:

Everything fit fine, as the posters above suggested.

The original converter was actually inseparable from the resonator, so I replaced the converter also.

All told, the Walker 15800 non-CA converter combined with the resonator that I already mentioned seems to fit quite well with everything else the rest of the car (exhaust manifold, undercarriage spaces, damper hooks). There is also a new Bosal muffler.

The only issue was that the resonator and the muffler seem to just barely not meet. Maybe I was doing it wrong. Anyway, my workaround was to use two gaskets instead of one, which then forced me to use different bolt+nut to fasten the muffler to the resonator, since the legit ones would no longer work with the new extended joint. Ultimately, the exhaust is now quiet and there seem to be no leaks.

Thanks again for all your help.