Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Exhaust Question...Advice needed (Pics)

Old 01-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Exhaust Question...Advice needed (Pics)

Hey. I currently have an N1 style catback exhaust on my 00' Civic EX. The brand is NumberOne. The exhaust came installed on my car when I bought it from the dealer. It doesn't sound bad or ricey, but even with a silencer it's still pretty loud. Also, it sits about 2" in from the bumper so it gets annoying having to clean the black carbon buildup every week. I don't have a header and I'm using the stock cat. I was thinking of getting an Apexi WS2, but can't really afford it at the moment (college student budget ftw! ) I was wondering if you guys think it would be a good move for me to get a Magnaflow 5x8 oval exhaust (Street Series #14829) and have the N1 style exhaust removed and the replaced with the Magnaflow keeping the piping from the NumberOne exhaust?

Here is a pic of what I have on now:

and here is what I was thinking of getting:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magna...Q5fAccessories

One thing I noticed that might be a problem is that the inlet to the Magnaflow exhausts are either 2.25" or 3". I think my exhaust piping is 2.5". Would this be a problem? And do you guys think I should get a resonator as well to quiet down the exhaust some more or will the Magnaflow be quiet the way it is? I want to get a new exhaust before the end of next month since I have inspection in March and I'm sure I'll probably be given a hard time about the exhaust.

What type of setups are you guys running? And do you have any suggestions or better ideas as to what I can do?

Thanks for reading and your help.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust Question...Advice needed (Pics)

anyone?
Old 01-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the WS2 on my civic and LOVE IT! quiet till your on it and it really screams with VTEC. what is your budget? i am looking to sell mine cause i am boosting my car this week. its about a year old and i would cut a decent deal for an H-T member
Old 01-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VI Boost
One thing I noticed that might be a problem is that the inlet to the Magnaflow exhausts are either 2.25" or 3". I think my exhaust piping is 2.5". Would this be a problem?
An exhaust shop would be able to flare the end of the piping to fit around the 2.5" inlet for the muffler.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Save up for the world sport. The WS universal muffler and the magnaflow stuff is going to be straight through and LOUD. I had a vibrant black oval muffler. It was pretty loud. Probably not as loud as your N1...but too loud for me. I have a WS2 catback on my EM1 now...and it sounds almost like stock. I love it.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks a lot for the advice. I REALLY want the WS2, but I can't really afford one now since I'm doing the security on my car, so that's where most of my money is going right now. There was a vendor on here that was selling them for $320 shipped, but that was a month or two ago and last time i checked the price jumped to $420 or so.

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
I have the WS2 on my civic and LOVE IT! quiet till your on it and it really screams with VTEC. what is your budget? i am looking to sell mine cause i am boosting my car this week. its about a year old and i would cut a decent deal for an H-T member
If you could give me a deal that would be great. I didn't want to go over $200 for for my exhaust, that's why I was looking into the Magnaflow and resonator while keeping my N1 piping, saving some money. PM me if you can so we can discuss further if you don't wanna do it on here.

Thanks a lot again guys for the advice. Keep them coming.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for the night...
Old 01-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for the night...
well i am looking to get more then 200 for it.... it is only a year old with like 9k miles on it and in perfect condition still. i spent 450 on it as well and i need enough to cover getting my turbo exhaust made
Old 01-15-2009, 03:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I hear you. I just spent $420 on an alarm alone not including install from wrx-killer-sti-eater so my my funds are a little tight right now. How much are you looking to get for the exhaust? And will it fit an 00' EX coupe?
Old 01-15-2009, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea fitting the new exhaust wouldnt be a problem, thats what mechanics are paid 4 ha... selling that may be a little bit of a problem. Not a main stream brand soo hmm
Old 01-15-2009, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm willing to be the N1 style does in fact sound ricey... and even if it doesn't, it looks like chicken fried rice.

Get a WS2. I have one and I love it. It's a tiny tiny bit louder than stock while cruising at a maintained speed. Under normal acceleration it's somewhat louder than stock. Under heavy acceleration it is quite a bit louder than stock, and in the high RPMs it screams. As someone else said, it screams while VTEC is engaged; this is definitely true. I think it sounds amazing in the high RPMs, and you can really hear the VTEC crossover (not like an instant crossover sound though, more of a fade), even on a SOHC.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:25 AM

Your exhaust system piping diameter is most likely 60mm (2.36 inchs). WS2 muffler or Magnaflow muffler is fine. I use a vibrant flat black muffler..
Old 01-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have ws2 and it's sexay...the only thing sexier is the rsr ex-mag, if you could get your hands on it....i couldn't
Old 01-15-2009, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by tekniq
i have ws2 and it's sexay...the only thing sexier is the rsr ex-mag, if you could get your hands on it....i couldn't

Dead on the money right here...
Old 01-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tekniq
...the only thing sexier is the rsr ex-mag, if you could get your hands on it....i couldn't
that was my first choice, but i didn't have $600 (something like that) to cough up for a catback.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the advice. Any suggestions on where I would be able to get the WS2 for a decent price? Any of you guys know of any vendors offering any good deals? I want to get the exhaust by the end of next month.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the advice. Any suggestions on where I would be able to get the WS2 for a decent price? Any of you guys know of any vendors offering any good deals? I want to get the exhaust by the end of next month.
I would be willing to sell my exhaust for about $350
Old 01-17-2009, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Another WS2 user here, and I love mine as well. I have a WS2 catback on my EM1, and it's great. Nice and quiet like everyone else said, and it sounds awesome up top. You can actually hear your motor instead of just an obnoxiously loud exhaust.