Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust question

Hi!

My exhaust started to sound funny so I decided to replace it...

The header is all good and the muffler is also in good condition... what gives me the trouble is the mid pipe and resonator...

It kinda makes vibrating noise when I let my foot OF THE GAS... it is all good when I hit the gas, but i.e. if I am in 2nd gear and rev it high and then take my foot of the gas, there is this sound coming from underneath the car and I dont like it...

Ad also if I let the clutch a bit faster than usual when taking off, there is this "TUMP" coming from underneath...

I am going to take the car to a local muffler-garage and they will make some custom exhaust so I have a few questions:

- since I think they DON'T DO mandrel bending, should I go with a bit larger diameter to compensate the loss on bends
- should I get rid of the resonator (will I loose power if I do that)
- what pipe diameter are you proposing - engine will never be turboed or anything... if I can gain something, it's OK... as long as I don't LOOSE ANYTHING...

The car is 1996 D16Y7 coupe
stock header w/ catalytic converter
some quiet muffler (straight-through design - great flow)
intake
everything else stock

So if someone can give me an opinion how it should be done properly so I don't loose power, it would be greatly appreciated...
Old 10-09-2005, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will cost a lot to mandrel bend the midpipe, especially if resonator has to be put in. Are you sure its not the cat or the heat shield making the noise. The midpipe won't really cause noises unless its got a hole. The heat shield over the cat may have come down, and vibrates when you excellerate, or maybe the cat is just bad. Just my opinions, but don't waste money on mandrel bending something that may cost more than buying the midpipe from some **** parts store.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Re: (SL!M)

I think the midpipe-resonator & Co. are giving me trouble...

Heatshield is off because rust ate it and I have a cat on the exhaust manifold... I got the whole unit 1 year ago and it is in perfect condition... muffler is also couple months old...

So I guess it must be something on the midpipe... and I know for sure that the resonator is in bad condition... so I guess it's the best to replace it all...

So what should I do? Remove the resonator and go with the pipe only? Will my car be too loud? Or should I go with the resonator?
Old 10-10-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Exhaust question (KKVTi)

Come on guys...

All recommendations are welcome!!!