Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Exhaust Manifold Question SOHC vtec

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Manifold Question SOHC vtec

I just picked up a 95 Del Sol SOHC vtec and it needs an o2 sensor. I broke the sensor off in the manifold. Plus the manifold is cracked so I want to replace it. On eBay there is a stainless header and down pipe for cheaper that a stock cast iron. what would the side affects be? will i need to "chip" the ECU? will the under hood heat cause problems. I just want to swap and go plus i have to pass emissions.

This car is just going to be a street/daily driver that I want to keep reliable. For now...
Old 08-06-2013, 05:58 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Exhaust Manifold Question SOHC vtec

As long as you aren't dealing with California emissions, you can use that eBay knockoff just fine. The flange welds might crack, just have an exhaust shop fix it. Alternatively, you could just have an exhaust shop weld the crack you have on your stock manifold.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are those ebay headers cheaper than these http://www.google.com/#bav=on.2,or.r...s=vw:l,p_ord:p. manifolds at the bottom of the linked page? I purchased a $55 manifold for my 98 ex coupe a year and half ago from JC Whitney that is holding up fine.

Welding is hit or miss and either way probably will not last as long as new.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tworaptors
I just picked up a 95 Del Sol SOHC vtec and it needs an o2 sensor. I broke the sensor off in the manifold. Plus the manifold is cracked so I want to replace it. On eBay there is a stainless header and down pipe for cheaper that a stock cast iron. what would the side affects be? will i need to "chip" the ECU? will the under hood heat cause problems. I just want to swap and go plus i have to pass emissions.

This car is just going to be a street/daily driver that I want to keep reliable. For now...
I'm assuming you have a:
Name:  Buyo1XA.png
Views: 8
Size:  503 Bytes

-If your O2 sensor is rendered useless, I recommend just getting a Denso one off RockAuto since Denso created the OEM Oxygen (O2) Sensors anyway, it's practically the same as OEM.
Name:  eV6C0Ta.png
Size:  97.1 KB

-About your emissions testing, as long as your catalytic converter and O2 sensor are working that should be all. You may also need to weld a bung (easier to just search for one with a bung already) to install the O2 Sensor into the new header if it doesn't come with one already. Here's an example:
Name:  wEZnUpk.png
Size:  503 Bytes

-About heat issues, you can use a heat wrap (do more research if you're interested) and wrap the header so the under-hood temps aren't as hot. There are theories about it depleting the life of your header by 1/2 because it may induce moisture, then rust. Ceramic coating's also another heat reducer.

-Will you need to chip the ECU? No need to for a basic modification like this. If you're going to end up chipping the ECU, might as well be tuning it to other modifications as well.

Originally Posted by Telecatster
Are those ebay headers cheaper than these http://www.google.com/#bav=on.2,or.r...s=vw:l,p_ord:p. manifolds at the bottom of the linked page? I purchased a $55 manifold for my 98 ex coupe a year and half ago from JC Whitney that is holding up fine.

Welding is hit or miss and either way probably will not last as long as new.

@Telecatster, the link you provided doesn't show any exhaust manifolds on my screen, better off linking straight to the online stores because Google results vary from person to person.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"You may also need to weld a bung"

Lol. You said bung

"@Telecatster, the link you provided doesn't show any exhaust manifolds on my screen, better off linking straight to the online stores because Google results vary from person to person".

Thanks for that.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CO671
I'm assuming you have a:

-If your O2 sensor is rendered useless, I recommend just getting a Denso one off RockAuto since Denso created the OEM Oxygen (O2) Sensors anyway, it's practically the same as OEM.

-About your emissions testing, as long as your catalytic converter and O2 sensor are working that should be all. You may also need to weld a bung (easier to just search for one with a bung already) to install the O2 Sensor into the new header if it doesn't come with one already. Here's an example:

-About heat issues, you can use a heat wrap (do more research if you're interested) and wrap the header so the under-hood temps aren't as hot. There are theories about it depleting the life of your header by 1/2 because it may induce moisture, then rust. Ceramic coating's also another heat reducer.

-Will you need to chip the ECU? No need to for a basic modification like this. If you're going to end up chipping the ECU, might as well be tuning it to other modifications as well.

@Telecatster, the link you provided doesn't show any exhaust manifolds on my screen, better off linking straight to the online stores because Google results vary from person to person.
I have added headers to many old school V8's that increase the under hood temp but does not really effect anything. Talking to a few shops they say don't worry about it "here in Seattle it does not get hot enough to cause a problem".

I just don't have alot of $$$$ to throw at this thing right now and a header is just better so as long as i dont need to "chip" it and/or spend more $$ I am good. will pass emissions that will be the route I will go.

CO671: I did purchase an O2 from Rock auto. But I got the ULTRAPOWER.

I am not worried about having to weld anything. I once was a welder by trade now just by hobby or as needed. I am going to purchase a header from ebay.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:38 AM
tyb
Honda-Tech Member

yeah if u r dealing with california emissions you have to buy a DC Sports header
Old 08-09-2013, 11:41 AM
tyb
Honda-Tech Member

don't buy ebay. That's like going up to someone and saying "hey, come over here and take a swing with a hammer at my exhaust manifold because I want to break the welds and let leaks in.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tyb
don't buy ebay. That's like going up to someone and saying "hey, come over here and take a swing with a hammer at my exhaust manifold because I want to break the welds and let leaks in.
My origional manifold was cracked in 4 places. The header/downpipe was only 55$ and is stainless, so I did buy it. (The stock manifold was $69) I looked over the welds and touched it up in a few places and cleaned up some slag and rounded the flanges a little. the flanges are about 1/2 inch thick and the tubing is heavy so I am going to need longer studs. I did put it in but the "lock" part of the nuts I dont think engage on the threads. Looks nice. I will have to clean up more of the engine compartment.

The only problem with the header/downpipe i bought was it was about 1" short for the rest of the exhaust so i had to modify some of the exhaust mounts and reshape some heatshields to make it all work. but you cannot tell unless you are under the car.