Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Exhaust Help? Newbie Question!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Exhaust Help? Newbie Question!

Hello my fellow Honda-techies!

I have a question for you guys that you can probably answer off the top of your head, but this is my first car/Honda!

Alright, so I have a 98 DX hatch that needs a new exhaust system because the **** on it now is Frankensteined as all hell. No cat, pipes have holes and the exhaust is turning my bumper cover black. It's my daily driver so I need it to get some good mpg and work right so I've decided to go with the stock headers/cat combo.

Now, my question is... can someone find me an after-market cat-back exhaust kit that will fit directly on without issue? It doesn't need to be super awesome and everything, just one that works.

I have found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-00-HONDA-CIVIC-HATCHBACK-STAINLESS-RACING-4-5-TIP-CATBACK-CAT-BACK-EXHAUST-/180731306903?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1998%7CModel%3ACivic%7CSubmodel%3ADX&hash=item2a146ce397&vxp=mtr
Now, if buy that, will it fit right onto my cat and I'm good to go? Thanks! :D
Old 04-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust Help? Newbie Question!

Go to jhpusa.com put your car in find an exhaust and don't buy that ebay s*** lol
Old 04-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by YoDawgItsVtec
Go to jhpusa.com put your car in find an exhaust and don't buy that ebay s*** lol
Oh, okay. I'm looking now. What's a mid-range/cheaper brand to buy from on there? I don't need anything too fancy. Still running stock motor lol.

Edit: these are all insanely expensive to get just a working fix. I don't really need high-performance parts. Any other suggestions?
Old 04-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go have someone bend you an exhaust it will be tremendously more expensive with a cat though
Old 04-20-2013, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go have someone bend you an exhaust it will be tremendously more expensive with a cat though
I'll look into it. Just in case though, would that exhaust I linked work without anything special needing be done?
Old 04-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah it should but I would highly recommend going another route imo
Old 04-20-2013, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah it should but I would highly recommend going another route imo
Why is that exactly? Might it fall apart? It shouldn't rust being that it's stainless steel right? I live in Florida, so it'll never hit salt.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What you find on ebay is cheap junk and the post confuses me because it says its stainless but then says its mandrel bent lol mandrel is a metal that doesn't crinkle when you bend it not a way to bend it...youll buy that and then end up wasting 100 dollars because youll have to replace it haha
Old 04-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What you find on ebay is cheap junk and the post confuses me because it says its stainless but then says its mandrel bent lol mandrel is a metal that doesn't crinkle when you bend it not a way to bend it...youll buy that and then end up wasting 100 dollars because youll have to replace it haha
lol, I see. Maybe you could direct me to one in the $100-$150 range that would bolt directly to my cat that is of decent quality? I'm so strapped for cash and if my Civic gets any worse I'm gonna be screwed
Old 04-20-2013, 08:22 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wtf? mandrel bending is a way to bend tubes without putting creases in them, not a type of metal, you were joking right? cheap systems use crush bending which puts those creases in the pipe, the type of system you get at bubba joes muffler shop
Old 04-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lostforawhile
wtf? mandrel bending is a way to bend tubes without putting creases in them, not a type of metal, you were joking right? cheap systems use crush bending which puts those creases in the pipe, the type of system you get at bubba joes muffler shop
Hey lost, do you think you could find me a decent cat-back exhaust for my civic for $100-$150? I'm not exactly what to and not to look for.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:27 PM
longest project ever

Originally Posted by Bleakened
Hey lost, do you think you could find me a decent cat-back exhaust for my civic for $100-$150? I'm not exactly what to and not to look for.
I had one of those cars,same year, I think I bought a stock replacement at Nappa, If I remember right everything from the converter back was about 200, if the converter is gone, it's going to cost a small fortune to fix everything, i bought a store brand one because it was a POS automatic four door, on the 86 I built everything from scratch right down to the muffler, but the 98 wasn't worth the trouble
Old 04-21-2013, 03:42 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Now, my question is... can someone find me an after-market cat-back exhaust kit that will fit directly on without issue? It doesn't need to be super awesome and everything, just one that works.
Asks for a catback system but has no cat? Makes no sense.

Answer to your question is No. NO one knows how hacked up your exhaust is so people can only guess at fitment. If you tried searching you would find the same answers as everyone else that asks the same "What kind of exhaust should I get question" receives each week when we get people asking this at LEAST 3-4 times every seven days.

Are you trying to be cheap? What does your budget allow? Look into Yonaka.

With the soot on your bumper you have more serious issues to sweat over. Start looking into getting another engine.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow!!! I have heard it all now! There is a new metal called mandrel...
Old 04-21-2013, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude quite being lazy and find an exhaust for your own car.

I will throw you a bone since you have **** for a budget. Yonaka WS-II replica now you go search that!!! I love mine and best you will find for under 300 bucks
Old 04-21-2013, 05:40 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I suggested that one too. It's over his budget so he might as well. go Ebay if he cannot increase his budget.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well if he is smart he will save up the extra $100 and get the yonaka. Otherwise with the eBay exhaust he will likely be replacing that so called stainless steel next year due to rusting out.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:55 AM
longest project ever

dont be fooled by ebay stuff saying stainless, there are low grades of stainless that eventually, WILL rust
Old 04-21-2013, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speedjunkie_g35
Dude quite being lazy and find an exhaust for your own car.
Had you read my post, I did find atleast one and I had merely asked if it were worth buying. Finding one at all was not an issue. I would appreciate it if you would read posts before posting yourself, thanks.

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Asks for a catback system but has no cat? Makes no sense.

Answer to your question is No. NO one knows how hacked up your exhaust is so people can only guess at fitment. If you tried searching you would find the same answers as everyone else that asks the same "What kind of exhaust should I get question" receives each week when we get people asking this at LEAST 3-4 times every seven days.
Had you actually read my post, I said I was going to go with the stock headers/cat combo and only needed cat-back. So how hacked up my exhaust is matters not, had you answered the question.

Overall hilarious thread at the amount of stupidity going on around here. And I thought I was the one who needed help, hah.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did read your posts and in two post, you are asking others to find you an exhaust because your inept ability to make a wise choice which was noted in your first post that linked a piece of **** exhaust! Why should any one waste their time for you to find you am exhaust? That is the ipidome of lazy!

Maybe if you had the comprehension skills needed, this thread would have never been created and you would have been able to use this marvelous thing called Google. Then you might have ran across all of the other ignorant little kids asking what exhaust should I get that pop up 10x a day!!!
Old 04-21-2013, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speedjunkie_g35
I did read your posts and in two post, you are asking others to find you an exhaust because your inept ability to make a wise choice which was noted in your first post that linked a piece of **** exhaust!

Maybe if you had the comprehension skills needed, this thread would have never been created and you would have been able to use this marvelous thing called Google. Then you might have ran across all of the other ignorant little kids asking what exhaust should I get that pop up 10x a day!!!
I have used Google. Lots actually. Everybody just cuts the cat and calls it a day but I don't want to. I came here because I couldn't find any information on Google as to exactly what parts I'd need as this is my first car I've done anything to.

And yes, my inept ability to make a wise choice in exhaust parts was noted by myself, I'm glad you can read. And again, that is why I came here asking for help.... because I do not know lol.

As for finding help on these forums to my problem.. I already searched around and couldn't find any solutions to my exact issue. If you could be so kind as to point me in the direction of another thread in which they discuss fixing/replacing a chopped up exhaust on a 1998 Honda Civic DX 3-door, I'd be mighty grateful of you, kind sir. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to make this nice, simple, and cheap for you.

Buy the cat back you have linked in the OP. Buy a Thrush Turbo muffler with the same piping size. Bring it all to your local muffler shop and ask them to cut off the rice can, and weld on the Thrush. Good sound, good setup, not going to destroy your wallet. The muffler is only ~$30, and if you install the rice can yourself and drive to a muffler shop, it shouldn't cost you more than $30-$50 to have the better muffler welded on.

It's also considered OEM equivalent in most jurisdictions for legality, and is within even the most stringent dB limits.

As for your statement of "[your] exact issue", this has been covered. It's covered at least once a week. You've already said you plan on running an OEM manifold and cat. Simplify your question with that in mind, and it becomes "what cat-back should I get?"
Old 04-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
I'm going to make this nice, simple, and cheap for you.

Buy the cat back you have linked in the OP. Buy a Thrush Turbo muffler with the same piping size. Bring it all to your local muffler shop and ask them to cut off the rice can, and weld on the Thrush. Good sound, good setup, not going to destroy your wallet. The muffler is only ~$30, and if you install the rice can yourself and drive to a muffler shop, it shouldn't cost you more than $30-$50 to have the better muffler welded on.

It's also considered OEM equivalent in most jurisdictions for legality, and is within even the most stringent dB limits.

As for your statement of "[your] exact issue", this has been covered. It's covered at least once a week. You've already said you plan on running an OEM manifold and cat. Simplify your question with that in mind, and it becomes "what cat-back should I get?"
I couldn't find any threads about best bang for buck cat-backs with quality in mind but I'll search again. I'll look into what you've said though. Thanks for the help that nobody else could provide.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any time. It's the same thing I say at least once every week, just before a mod swoops in to lock the thread.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Youngling we are not going to do your work for you. You know best what will fit and what won't. If you really want our help so badly then take a picture of your exhaust and position a tape measure next to it for reference. If it's such a big deal just take the whole damn system off and weld a muffler directly to your header. Or just run open header.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Help? Newbie Question!