Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Exhaust Help.. Bout to flip a Lid!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Help.. Bout to flip a Lid!!!!

Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place!

SO im tired of having an obnoxious exhaust. Iv done the research and iv found nothing as sepcific as id like, so before i go **** away a bunch of money id like some opinions:

I have a built d16z6 which i had the high hopes of boosting, but school and life are just too expensive. It has 2.25" piping, a highflow magnaflow cat, a magnaflow resonator, and a magnaflow jasmine rice can. I was wondering how much loss there would be, or if its even recomended, if I have the muffler shop hack the fart can off and weld a STOCK 99-00 SI muff on there??

Iv looked into the Vibrant mufflers and the WS2, but they still seem to be loud, and im scared to commit and waste $200.

Thanks for your time!!
Old 05-28-2015, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Exhaust Help.. Bout to flip a Lid!!!!

Originally Posted by MrToughCookie
I was wondering how much loss there would be,

Loss of what? Your probably not getting much (if at all) gain in HP using a high-flow exhaust
with that SOHC grocery getter. If the sound is annoying to you then just have the cheapest non high-flow muffler you can find welded in. Sell your high flow muffler on CL or keep it for later use.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jimi Hondrix
Loss of what? Your probably not getting much (if at all) gain in HP using a high-flow exhaust
with that SOHC grocery getter. If the sound is annoying to you then just have the cheapest non high-flow muffler you can find welded in. Sell your high flow muffler on CL or keep it for later use.
Im wondering if the bottleneck from welding a the stock muffler to a 2.25" pipe will decrease efficiency at all? if its not a big deal then ill go ahead and do it.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im wondering if the bottleneck from welding a the stock muffler to a 2.25" pipe will decrease efficiency at all? if its not a big deal then ill go ahead and do it.
Shouldn't decrease efficiency past the stock setup. Like I said before, you probably didn't achieve any gains anyway when you went to a 2.25" exhaust. Maybe the cheapest route is to hack a muffler off at a junk yard and pay some exhaust jobber to couple it down and weld it in. Mufflers do just that..they muffle sound. They are usually rated by dB (noise level) so, if you want it at as quiet as possible.. get as low dB output as possible.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:25 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

You say you have a built Z6. I'm assuming you built it and had it tuned etc?

If you have had it tuned restricting the exhaust can impact you to some degree. For one it will throw the tune out some.

A lot depends on just how built you are. If you are running drag cams and have the full tune, restricting your exhaust can put a substantial hit on your car.

Just saying a built Z6 doesn't even remotely provide enough information to know if you have an issue or not. This is why the rules state to post complete car information including a complete mod list, as no two rides are the same so can't be evaluated the same.

Proper resonators (including the muffler resonator) can quiet your ride without encroaching majorly on your exhaust flow. It's just a fair amount of math and also detecting the current frequency of resonance that is obnoxious.

Last edited by TomCat39; 05-29-2015 at 10:23 PM. Reason: spelling and grammatical corrections
Old 06-01-2015, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tomcat, thanks for the reply. The engine was rebuilt with the hopes of boosting it, nothing too crazy. z6 swap, FJ custom lenght rods, vitara 75.5 piston. Arp head studs y8 intake, compression is at 8.5.1, walbro 255, and everying else is stock. I'm using an s300 and had them send it with a temporary base map to those specs so it would drive a little smoother while I saved up to finish the rest. Started college and never got to finish it.

So at the moment I commute a lot and would like to have a more stock exhaust. But I still want to finish it later on, which is why I'd like to know if I can temporarily weld an oem muffler on it without having to replace the system.

Thanks again!
Old 06-01-2015, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So at the moment I commute a lot and would like to have a more stock exhaust. But I still want to finish it later on, which is why I'd like to know if I can temporarily weld an oem muffler on it without having to replace the system.
99-00 OE mufflers are expensive AF unless you're looking at aftermarket remans.

I've got an Apexi WSII on my Em1 with a b16a2 attached to it, its not bad at all IMO, but its all personal preference.
Look at Yonaka's as well, from what I've read they're not bad either.

Otherwise, I'm sure you can do some research to calculate the total CFM between the two and what you're actually losing, but considering you aren't boosting currently, I don't see why you'd lose anything.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:25 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

You're gonna flip your lid over something that isn't even trivial....wow...
Old 06-01-2015, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Iv looked into the Vibrant mufflers and the WS2, but they still seem to be loud, and im scared to commit and waste $200.

Thanks for your time!!
I don't see how anyone could consider the WS2 to be loud. It's the quietest muffler that I have heard other than stock.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
You're gonna flip your lid over something that isn't even trivial....wow...
Lolz, I think you have the opposite understanding of the word trivial.. And the title was for attention. No lid will be flipped. I'v been driving around Like this for a year or better by meow. Just looking for some other opinions.

There are plenty of boobtube videos showing the wS2 as having a nice quiet exhaust note.. But there are just as many out there which are still pretty loud and raspy. I just don't have the funds to take a chance. 😔

Appreciate the replies though!
Old 06-01-2015, 09:24 PM
Hysterically Calm

Tomcat, thanks for the reply. The engine was rebuilt with the hopes of boosting it, nothing too crazy. z6 swap, FJ custom lenght rods, vitara 75.5 piston. Arp head studs y8 intake, compression is at 8.5.1, walbro 255, and everying else is stock. I'm using an s300 and had them send it with a temporary base map to those specs so it would drive a little smoother while I saved up to finish the rest. Started college and never got to finish it.

Thanks again!
I'm no expert but with being a low compression setup, I highly doubt any changes to your exhaust is going to affect the car.

First off it's running an approximate "tune" of a basemap, mainly to get you by until a true full tune comes along. If anything a restriction might even help your situation as you aren't pushing serious air with a drag NA cam or Forced Induction.

Once you get the turbo in and a Tune, reducing your exhaust is when it's going to impact you.

Right now, not so much. Do what ever you want to the exhaust except make it bigger. You might be too big already for what you are running.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why not just get a Magnaflow oe style muffler that is 2.25 in inlet/outlet?
Old 06-02-2015, 04:51 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thrush Turbo muffler. Done. GG.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There are plenty of boobtube videos showing the wS2 as having a nice quiet exhaust note.. But there are just as many out there which are still pretty loud and raspy. I just don't have the funds to take a chance. 😔
I'd be curious to see how many of those were shitty cell phone videos.

I want to get a nice high quality mic and start taking audio samples of exhausts I find around town for comparison without the mic maxing out.

--
To each his own though
Old 06-02-2015, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lolz, I think you have the opposite understanding of the word trivial.. And the title was for attention. No lid will be flipped. I'v been driving around Like this for a year or better by meow. Just looking for some other opinions.

Appreciate the replies though!
Lots of variables can play into the volume. If you buy the entire catback as opposed to just bolting the muffler onto a straight-piped 3" exhaust that is going to make a big difference. If you have a cat, resonator and the WS2 muffler and don't go crazy with the diameter of the piping it isn't going to be loud.

I had the full cat-back on my old Si and it was stupid quiet. (Stock b16, random technologies high-flow cat, bolt-on cat back.)

On my current car I have the stock cat, 2.5" piping, magnaflow resonator and the WS2 muffler and it is still very quiet. It is almost inaudible at idle. The bigger piping and short resonator make it drone a little more at highway speeds but it is still very quiet overall.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just got a 2000 ex that had some hack job exhaust. I found a full 99-00 si oem cat back for $100 on ebay. just search around you can find oem stuff for cheap.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just go to advanceauto.com and get a bosal catback. Use promo code trt41(could be trt40) and you should get $40 off a $100 order. I got the catback for my em1from them and its super quiet. And no, you won't really lose any HP.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:16 PM

That's...still obscenely expensive for what OP wants to accomplish. I'll say it again. Thrush Turbo muffler. They're like, $40. Get it welded on. Shouldn't cost more than like, $30. That's what I have on my car. Absolutely love it. Quiet as ****.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:16 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For what it's worth I had a factory civic coupe muffler modified to fit my HKS piping on my hatchback so that I could switch it back and forth if needed. My car is a stock DX essentially and other than a slightly noticeable decrease in power "feel" it didn't change much else.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
That's...still obscenely expensive for what OP wants to accomplish. I'll say it again. Thrush Turbo muffler. They're like, $40. Get it welded on. Shouldn't cost more than like, $30. That's what I have on my car. Absolutely love it. Quiet as ****.
So $70?
How's that more than $60??
Hmmm....

Edit: oops I now see I didnt add that mine came out to $67 with the gasket, after the discount.

Last edited by joey1320; 06-03-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:56 PM

It's less than $100, if the coupon doesn't work. It also doesn't require a coupon. There are plenty of % off coupons out there that you can use towards the Thrush, as well. It also won't have the same negative impact on performance that the Bosal 1.5" (or is it 1.25"? I don't remember) system would.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:01 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
It's less than $100, if the coupon doesn't work. It also doesn't require a coupon. There are plenty of % off coupons out there that you can use towards the Thrush, as well. It also won't have the same negative impact on performance that the Bosal 1.5" (or is it 1.25"? I don't remember) system would.
I highly doubt going down to 1.5" or even the 1.25" is going to hurt an 8.5:1 CR car that is running NA at the moment. It might actually help it scavenge a bit better.

Once it goes turbo on the other hand....
Old 06-04-2015, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My buddy is selling me an OE 99 integra Ls muff for $30, should be the same as the si. Ima polish it up real nice and such, and have some sucker weld her on. We will see what happens.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:06 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Rs-r exmag if you can sti find it. But then again its out of your price range.