Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EXHAUST HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EXHAUST HELP

I'm in the market for an exhaust system for my Honda Del Sol VTEC (b16). I'm currently having my engine built & for now trying to take care of the little extra's like this. I've always gone custom exhaust in the past but would like a quality piece with mandrel bent piping. I know I could buy mandrel bent piping but i'm set on a buying complete bolt-on exhaust system. Car is mainly driven on street but will be taken to the track of course. A few i've had in mind were:

1) Apexi WS 2
2) RSR Exmag
3) Greddy SP2

Or any other comparable exhaust if the deal is good.

As of now, i'm trying to catch a sale for the Apexi WS 2 system, but there is no applications for del sols. Does anyone have a del sol & run these exhaust's & if so which did they use..? 92+ civic coupes, 92+ hatchbacks..?

I'm trying to avoid bringing it to an exhaust shop to modify anything. For now i'd like it to bolt up to my stock cat till I get my other engine in there in which case i'll upgrade to a high flow cat.
I had my mind pretty much set on thr RSR exmag. I liked the fact that it was quiet yet still yielded good gains & I liked the black painted exhaust (stealth look). I usually like to keep a clean, simply, classy look & don't like attention from cops & so on. But I am looking at the peformance aspec as well.
All three are so similar. All have 60mm piping but for some reason i'm thinking the RSR yields better performance or flows better but don't have any solid evidence on hand to prove it. But again I have the opportunity to get the APEXi WS 2 for a good price. Any thoughts, opinions, experiences with these exhaust & does anyone have any pictures of any of these exhaust's on a del sol only?

Also, I was talking to a RSR distributor earlier & he says that the black painted exmags are discontined & now the new exmags are going to be stainless steel.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

out of those 3 I'd probably go with the greddy sp2, I had the N1 on my car, took it off....gave it to my friend with a B16...it's just simply TOO ******* LOUD, I wind my friend's car out with the N1 on it and it's louder than mine, if I do it up a bit past RL (to about 7500) people can haer me the distance from my house to my hs...which I just did a short calculation is approximately 9 miles away....i mean what the hell, it's rediculously loud...in any event, I'd go with #3 on that list...
Old 06-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Throw in the new Tanabe Medalion touring. bump
Old 06-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

Thx for the reply but I never mentioned the apex N1. I have up there apexi WS 2.
I would never put a huge fart cannon on my car with a 4inch tip. Just not my style & attracts way too much attention espicially from state police around here.

Also i'm looking for intelligent answers from people who know product history, research, quality & have experience with the above. Not to say anything about your aforementioned comment but I this posted on another forum as well & i'm getting a lot of "y0 dat exhaust in mad loud y0 you can vtec kick in to the 10th power!!" stupid ****.

Thx BUMP
Old 06-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HatchSpeeD)

I had a Tanabe Hyper Medallion before it got stolen. It's the big oval version, much more quiet than their other models and sounded great. I might just buy another one because I miss it so bad. Currently have a cheap eBay muffler on until I can save up again.

You still might need to take it to a shop to be installed. There are hangers/brackets that have to be welded. They suppport the weight of the muffler.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Syndacate I forgot to mention. I read a few peoples reviews on the greddy SP & a lot of people were complaining about the midpiping breaking, exhaust leaks & the muffler's packing wearing off after a year. That wasn't too reassuring for the SP....
Old 06-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HatchSpeeD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey Syndacate I forgot to mention. I read a few peoples reviews on the greddy SP & a lot of people were complaining about the midpiping breaking, exhaust leaks & the muffler's packing wearing off after a year. That wasn't too reassuring for the SP....</TD></TR></TABLE>
u know, I've heard that about just about all greddy catbacks...but I personally haven't experienced it, people with the buddy club spec 2 said theirs has rotted out and **** like after a year....so iono, if u disclude that one, out of the other two I would go with the the RSR just b/c I like it's style and it can allow the engine to breathe better, some people like the apexi WS but I feel it restricts air flow and it sounds too....iono, too sharp
Old 06-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy **** this board moves fast.

Yea Flatland2d, I was actually thinking about the medalion touring, the new one. More of a classy, subtle look like the apexi WS plus I hear the hyper medalion sticks out a lot which I don't like. I'm impressed with tanabe's quality so far from what little research i've done & I like the their new "Advantex" packing but I doubt i'm gonna find a good deal on them. But hey, if its really better than the others mentioned above I'll shell out the dough for it. Bump for more feedback.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

Yea see, for some reason I thought the RSR exmag out performed the apexi WS2 as well. I don't know if its something I read in the past or seen a dyno, can't recall but I have that stuck in my head too. Just curious why do you think it restricts flow? I talk to a distributor & he says the WS2 (muffler) is a straight through design & both actually all have 60mm mandrel bent piping so i'm guessing they all should be very similiar. But i'm curious & want to get down to the nitty gritty details & research these so i'm happy with my purchase & best suited for me.

****, gotta make sure before I drop $400-$600.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

up for super fast board
Old 06-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im down for the ws2, simply because it sounds amazing. like stock at idle, and very nice at WOT, no ricey buzz.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ekcivic9)

Ever hear the RSR to compare? Is it actually quieter?
Old 06-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good nite bump
Old 06-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Night Owl

the rsr exmag is very quiet @ cruising speeds
Old 06-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2nd night evening bump for intelligent researched answers

Anyone have pictures of any on a sol?
Old 06-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Night Owl

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HatchSpeeD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2nd night evening bump for intelligent researched answers

Anyone have pictures of any on a sol? </TD></TR></TABLE>

there should be some in this thread.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/757567
Old 06-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thx

up
Old 06-12-2006, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone else with experiences, research, knowledge, product history?

The contenders..

Apexi World Sport 2 vs. RSR ExMag 2 vs. Greddy SP 2 vs. *new* Tanabe Medalion touring???
Old 06-12-2006, 08:33 AM

I have the SP2 on my 99 ex. Love it! The gains are noticable enough to make you smile. Also you can cruise by almost any cop and not have to worry about the volume factor. It has a nice low rumble vs the angry buble bee sound. Dont know if they make it for your application but if they do i would go with Greddy
Old 06-12-2006, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thx for response

Anyone have any experience with all 3-4?
Old 06-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone at all?

Well so far, I think the WS2 is out because there isn't an application for del sol's.

The greddy i've heard people complaing of exhaust leaks & midpipe breaking but maybe that was the orignal sp's.

RS-R, which I orignally was going for I keep hearing & seen pictures how fast they rust. I live in new england & although I don't plan on really driving the sol in the snow, the car will be exposed to snow, sand, salt & all the wonderful things that are involved. Again, I hear their new exmag's will all be stainless steel & no more black paint.

The new Tanabe touring medalion so far has impressed me but have heard nothing about it & was curious how it flowed vs. others but mainly RS-R. I've other tanabe catback's resonators are sorta like honey combed like a cat (forgot the word) in order to reduce sound which also inhibits flow but not sure if the new one is like that or if the RS-R exmag is either.

Phew...anyone help me out here...
Old 06-13-2006, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've got the greddy sp2. love it. had it for about 2 years or more.....maybe less. but never notice any of the leaking crap or wearing out crap as stated earlier.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:51 AM

Default Re: (dillywong)

GO WITH THE RSR EXMAG!!! I'm looking to get that exhaust for my gsr'd hatch. Produces very good gains, very good air flow, and quiet!!! also gives more of a stock look, so for those of us who have gotten pulled over for "modified noise maker" you won't have to worry about that. Exhaust sounds great.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thx...anyone have any thoughts or experience with the new tanabe touring medalion. Does the resonator have that honey comb material like their previous catbacks?
Old 06-15-2006, 10:42 PM

Default Re: (B18chatch83)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18chatch83 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">GO WITH THE RSR EXMAG!!! I'm looking to get that exhaust for my gsr'd hatch. Produces very good gains, very good air flow, and quiet!!! also gives more of a stock look, so for those of us who have gotten pulled over for "modified noise maker" you won't have to worry about that. Exhaust sounds great. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yar the rsr exmag is pretty nice me and a friend put one on a rsx type s and you can feel a lil bit of power gain and it sounds pretty good too not that loud annoying sound.

Quick Reply: EXHAUST HELP