Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

exhaust falling completely off a hb? possible???

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust falling completely off a hb? possible???

i was just seeing if this is even possible. when i heard it, it sounded pretty sketchy to me...

basically..i put on a cat back exhaust on for a friend of a friend (didnt really know the guy, imo seemed kinda shady) on to his ek hatch so that he could see if he liked it or not (my friend had it lying around and was gonna get rid of it). ive done a few exhausts on a ek so i was pretty confident in my work.

a week later he calls me and said that the thing fell off on the freeway. my first thought was.."oh ****, i fed up". then i thought about it..i know for sure i tightened down each bolt, put on each bushing and was confident that i did a good *** job.

after i hung up, i thought...its pretty hard to get those bolts off that connect the piping to the header as it is, so itll be pretty damn hard to jsut fall off..then the bushings..i had to use wd40 to get them off and theyre not just gonna fall off, and theres 4 of them..and last, i had to take the lca off to slip the exhaust on (since its all one piece) and theres no way it could have slipped through the hole. if anything, it would have been dragging and teter tottering on the lca.

so i told my friend that he probably just took it off and said he lost it so that he could sell it and make profit.

so my question..am i just beening completely stupid and thinking harder than i should or is it possible for the exhaust to actually just fall off?
Old 06-22-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Re: exhaust falling completely off a hb? possible??? (mr abstract)

It is possible......my friend has an early 70's Ford Pickup that the exhaust just fell off in a parking lot once......
Old 06-22-2007, 12:00 PM

Default Re: exhaust falling completely off a hb? possible??? (Nongan)

yea but thats a ford...im talkin about a civic hb..where the piping has to go above the lca.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive never heard of an exhaust falling COMPLETELY off.. over the last year of owning my car my exhaust has been one ghetto rig after another after my swap this one time the way i had the piping setup became disconnected hit acouple pot holes on the fwy and still didnt rip off not even the hangers were damaged.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:08 PM

Default Re: (EKlum)

yea thats what im thinking. i think this dude is just tryin to hustle my friend.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: exhaust falling completely off a hb? possible??? (mr abstract)

i have a 95 hatch and from experience let me tell you it is possible. to an extent. at first my muffler just broke off and was dangling from the hangers, it took bout 20 mins to get it off the hangers....it isnt easy. month later the b pipe broke off and was dragging against the ground, again hung on by the hangers. its possible to come off, but your assumption is correct, if he lost it on the freeway it would be on the car, just bouncing around and making a hell of alot of noise. he sold it.