Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

exhaust evac system

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust evac system

im building a V-8 for my drag car right now, and i am going to be running an exhaust crankcase evac system http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/52210/10002/-1 and i know that these show some gains in hp. and i was thinking if it would be worth the money to on my honda. if anyone has tried this before. i searched all through the arcives, but and most of what was shown there was PCV venting, or with an electric pump. if anyone has tried to run these on a honda with success, where did you hook the line up to to the exhaust? i know if you were to run it from the valve cover, it will restrict oil flow back down to the block. so what about running it from a point on the block? also is there even enough flow to create vaccum in the block? i would be running an air oil seperator like this one http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/52205/10002/-1 i have one laying in my shop from our aircompressor (same exact thing, just a hell of alot cheaper) im not worried about welding the tube in my exaust, i would be running a check valve in it.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:05 AM

Default Re: exhaust evac system (Frickr)

bump for my drunk thoughts last night
Old 05-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frickr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im building a V-8 for my drag car right now, and i am going to be running an exhaust crankcase evac system http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/52210/10002/-1 and i know that these show some gains in hp. and i was thinking if it would be worth the money to on my honda. if anyone has tried this before. i searched all through the arcives, but and most of what was shown there was PCV venting, or with an electric pump. if anyone has tried to run these on a honda with success, where did you hook the line up to to the exhaust? i know if you were to run it from the valve cover, it will restrict oil flow back down to the block. so what about running it from a point on the block? also is there even enough flow to create vaccum in the block? i would be running an air oil seperator like this one http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/52205/10002/-1 i have one laying in my shop from our aircompressor (same exact thing, just a hell of alot cheaper) im not worried about welding the tube in my exaust, i would be running a check valve in it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Looking at the 1st link you provided, I don't see what would make these work any better than a simple valve cover breather cap? A breather cap would alleviate any crank case pressure built up and just release it into the atmosphere, I'm not sure why you would want to route that to your exhaust either?

I'd just stick with a normal PCV valve for your honda, your not going to gain any noticeable increase in power and you'll just be pollutin' more.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:50 PM

Default Re: exhaust evac system (wonder squirrel)

well by hooking it into the exhaust, it creates a vaccum inside of the block, so that there is less intake charge contamination, and less air resistantce on the crank in theory. i dont see how i would be polluting any more since all of the emitions get released into the air sometime or another, wheather it be through the exhaust pipe, or out the PCV. i would be putting in a oil air seperator so all that gets released is the air, and im not burning any oil.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frickr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well by hooking it into the exhaust, it creates a vaccum inside of the block, so that there is less intake charge contamination, and less air resistantce on the crank in theory. i dont see how i would be polluting any more since all of the emitions get released into the air sometime or another, wheather it be through the exhaust pipe, or out the PCV. i would be putting in a oil air seperator so all that gets released is the air, and im not burning any oil.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your essentially setting up a PCV system without the PCV valve, you know that right? The PCV valve just recirculates blow by gases (and any pressure) in the crankcase and sends them back into the intake charge to be burnt. The PCV valve use engine vacumm to do this. Thereby creating a small vacumm in the crankcase without sucking oil out.

I can't imagine any engine on any dyno making any noticable power gain or loss by a functioning PCV system being installed/ uninstalled.

The way your polluting is, your releasing the unburnt gases into the atmosphere. Normally, the PCV would send the gases (hydrocarbons, CO, and anything else in there) back to the intake and burn these, ideally releasing water, carbon dioxide and nitrogen.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:24 PM

on v-8's ive seen up to 10 hp on a dyno from adding one of these kits. if i were to do this, any vent or hole on the block i would have to plug. but it will eliminate the stock PCV system, and im thinking it would create alot more vaccum inside the block and instead of burning it off in the intake and getting contamination their, it would just be burnt off in the cat. essentially its job. so thats why i dont see how i would be polluting that much more. i dont have to worry about emitions or anything like that in north dakota. all they care is if the car has a muffler.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like you have your mind made up so goodluck with it.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:23 PM

ive put alot of thought into how to do it, and what all i would need to do, but i just dont know if i would see any gain in hp with it. i know its tried and true on alot larger displacement motors, anyone use this on a 4 cyl. motor before?