Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

exhaust/downpipe question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default exhaust/downpipe question

I just bought a 3" kteller exhaust for my car, but I have a 96 DX coupe (d16y7).

Here is my dilemma, I'm turboing my car in about 3 months, just waiting on fuel management and a custom exhaust mani, but I want to install this exhaust right now. The D16y7 has the cat in the exhaust manifold as most of you know, therefore the exhaust has to reach further up to bolt to the bottom of the exhaust manifold(b pipe?).

I also have a stock d16z6 exhaust mani with the downpipe and stock cat that I want to use instead of the d16y7 exhaust mani, what exactly would I need to get this to work?

I'm thinking that I'll need to extend the wires for the o2, and then there has to be some type of adapter to bolt the 3" up to the cat right? What is the diameter of the cat?

I will probably invest in a high flow cat eventually, but I would want 3" on both ends of that too, so in other words I need a way to bolt up a stock cat to a 3" pipe

any suggestions

CLIFF NOTES: I need a way to bolt up a stock d16z6 cat to a 3" pipe

thanks for your help
Old 07-25-2004, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: exhaust/downpipe question (bambbrose)

anybody?
Old 07-25-2004, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go you your loc. muffler shop and and get the new header and down pipe and have them weld on a flange to hook up to your new down pipe, but make sure you mount the new header and down pipe to cut in the right spot for the flange, and then you throw you old **** in the dump, and then you mount the cat where ever the hell you want, but I think that you should do this at the same time you go get your turbo kit put on, cuz you have to make a down pipe and you want your whole piping all the way down to be at least 2 1/2 " no more then 3" if you don't you will lose alot of hp. with that small 1 1/2" piping, also if your looking for a custom turbo manifold, I have a new one just laying around, at it's equal langth, stanless steal, and it's for sohc it's bad ***. hit me up if you want it, Im letting it go for 200
Old 07-25-2004, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you could take it to a local muffler shop and they'd get it done, but you do realize putting a 3" exhaust w/o a turbo WILL HURT you hp wise!
Old 07-26-2004, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes I do understand that.. I'm just trying to get the exhaust on so that when I go to install the turbo, there isn't one extra thing to do. I want it ready to go so I can just throw the turbo on and make a downpipe
Old 07-26-2004, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anybody else have opinions?
Old 07-26-2004, 02:02 PM

Default Re: (bambbrose)

I know me personally, I would just leave it alone until you are done with the turbo. It will be a lot easier to connect them once it is done. You would be doing a lot of unnecessary mod work for a loss in performance.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bambbrose)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bambbrose &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes I do understand that.. I'm just trying to get the exhaust on so that when I go to install the turbo, there isn't one extra thing to do. I want it ready to go so I can just throw the turbo on and make a downpipe</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yea, but if you get this on you are probably gonna have to modify AGAIN after you get your turbo cause you had modified the exhaust to fit a 2.5" or what-not
Old 07-27-2004, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't plan on modifying my new exhaust piping, just finding some sort of connector between my old downpipe and my new exhaust. I think what I'm looking for is called a reducer, but I'm not sure what size I need.

edit: well I had it installed today, and everything worked out the way I wanted it to. It is loud but doesn't buzz or anything. The fitment was perfect, and the adapter thing I was confused about was extremely easy after I thought about it. Now I just need to get my uberdata ecu done and then I go turbo

Modified by bambbrose at 12:32 AM 8/3/2004