Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

exhaust CAT vs. turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust CAT vs. turbo.

so right now im running a .50 A/R T3/T4 @7psi. exhaust setup, 3" downpipe, Stock Cat, and 2.75" cat-back. would a hi-flow cat be better or will my MPG go to pot. im guessing i would get a lil faster spool up?
Old 12-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: exhaust CAT vs. turbo. (spotscivic)

A highflow cat would make more power and get better MPG. Just make sure you have some sort of a cat. The cheap stuff on ebay either has no catalyst even though it's labeled "HIGH FLOW CAT"(it's actually a test pipe), or cheap high flow cats with the catalysts that either get worn out or overwhelmed or just never work well to start with that set off CELs and make you fail emissions.

I've heard good things about SMSP. They are costly, but worth it.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:11 PM

Default Re: exhaust CAT vs. turbo. (B serious)

i dont hav to run emisons tests. thats not a issue. i dont understand compleatly why a straight cat would add to MPG ussually on N/A motors they make the gas suck.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

B serious is entirley correct.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

B SERIOUS IS ENTIRELY CORRECT..!!!!
Old 12-19-2007, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (JDM_SOHC)

invest in a carsound cat, works awesome
Old 12-19-2007, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Andyroo)

I have no cat just a straight pipe and I dont throw any codes. As far as emissions even though you dont have them, if you did you probally wouldnt pass with a cat anyways. Assuming your car is tuned you are pumping way more fuel than with a stock setup. That stock cat is also killing you horsepower that whole exhaust system probally is.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Re: exhaust CAT vs. turbo. (spotscivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spotscivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont hav to run emisons tests. thats not a issue. i dont understand compleatly why a straight cat would add to MPG ussually on N/A motors they make the gas suck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Simply put, the engine puts less effort into pushing waste exhaust out of the chambers and through the exhaust stream if you have less restriction in the exhaust. On a very very sensitive NA application, where things like backpressure, exhaust pulse back, etc. matter to make power, blindly opening up the exhaust can suck down more gas and make less power.

Turbo cars are not as sensitive. If you breath in the direction of a turbo car, it will add power. If you open up the exhaust passage on a turbo car, it will make more power 9 times out of 10. It will also get better MPG 9 times out of 10.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_SOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">B SERIOUS IS ENTIRELY CORRECT..!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought you hated me

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97Ej6mike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">B serious is entirley correct.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why thank you lol. It's the popular opinion now a days.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smileycvc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have no cat just a straight pipe and I dont throw any codes. As far as emissions even though you dont have them, if you did you probally wouldnt pass with a cat anyways. Assuming your car is tuned you are pumping way more fuel than with a stock setup. That stock cat is also killing you horsepower that whole exhaust system probally is. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you have an OBD1 car? It has no after cat O2 sensor in that case.

Cat less cars pollute. A lot. I breath air. I'm assuming you do too. Think about it.

If your car is tuned correclty, you should pass emissions if you have a catalyst. OBD1 cars are run on a dyno at part throttle. If your tune is correct, you're adding fuel ONLY to compensate for added air. Sure, turbo cars run a little richer. But they also run hotter, and make pretty efficient use of the gas. You should still pass OBD1 emissions with a proper tune. If your tailpipe emisions are dirty and you have a good CAT, your tune probably sucks.

OBD2 emissions are a computer hook up. At idle. You could have a stock ECU and not throw any codes at idle even with a turbo setup. You could have a piggy back or a tuneable ECU and you really shouldn't throw codes at idle. If some sensors have been deleted because of the tuneable system, there might be a problem.

Leave some sort of catalyst on the car. Even 20 more hp isn't worth polluting the air you and everyone else BREATHES.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont hate you... lol, infact I never even said you dont know your ****... Just thought sometimes you come off kinda rough that's all... And I was pissed that day cuz I fukked up a valve seal... and after I smoked a blunt of haze I just felt like talkin **** about it I guess, but im over all that bitterness... And I fixed my valve seal...
Old 12-19-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: exhaust CAT vs. turbo. (JDM_SOHC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_SOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont hate you... lol, infact I never even said you dont know your ****... Just thought sometimes you come off kinda rough that's all... And I was pissed that day cuz I fukked up a valve seal... and after I smoked a blunt of haze I just felt like talkin **** about it I guess, but im over all that bitterness... And I fixed my valve seal... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Smokin a J after a stressful day (and it rhymes).
Old 12-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Smokin a J after a stressful day (and it rhymes). </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 12-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: exhaust CAT vs. turbo. (JDM_SOHC)

"B Serious is Entirely Correct!"

Old 12-20-2007, 12:12 AM

Default Re: exhaust CAT vs. turbo. (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"B Serious is Entirely Correct!"

</TD></TR></TABLE>

It never gets old. Maybe "B serious for president" with time?
Old 12-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It never gets old. Maybe "B serious for president" with time? </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha i wouldnt go that far... my votes on Ron Paul...!!

Legalize Freedom is his slogan so im all for that... and he did a youtube video interview where he stresses on letting people do what they want... an legalizing marijuana...