Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Exhaust advise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust advice?

I have a 00 Si with Skunk2 stage 1 cams and all the goodies that go along with that. My current exhaust setup is jdm dc 4-1 header (which recently was owned by a man hole cover so I have to buy a new one) car sound high flow cat, and a skunk2 cat back exhaust.

I need to replace the header asap because its crushed pretty bad and its causing the car to run like ****. I would like to get a 4-2-1 header for the ground clearance but I need a 2.5'' collector and I dont know of any other header that is a 4-2-1 design with a 2.5'' collector that doesnt cost over $400.00 (just cant justify spending that much on a header) but if you guys have any ideas let me know.

As far as the exhaust, I love the skunk2 but its too freakin loud! So I want to get either a apexi WS or something on the lines of a quieter exhaust. Now I was thinking, do you guys think its worth it to just sell the skunk2 as an axle back and just buy a new axle back instead of selling the whole thing as a cat back and buying a new cat back. The reason why I am considering doing that is because I have the stock rear part that I can put on when I sell the skunk2 until I get a new one and its also easier to ship that instead of the whole thing. Also the skunk2's b-pipe is no different really sound wise then anyother exhaust (the N1 style can is what makes it loud)

So I guess I'm asking your advice on what brand header to get (consider price please) and also how I should go about getting a quieter exhaust.

Thanks

Modified by v00tecsi at 12:13 AM 10/6/2004

Old 10-06-2004, 06:42 AM

Apexi has a jdm 4-2-1 header, you might be able to find it use under 4 bills. I think with your set up the WS is too restrictive. You should check out other kinds of exhaust that are actually mufflers and not cannisters. You can always try universal magnaflows from ktellers site. Or something like the sp2. As for the axle back fitting, I remember someone around here tried to match up a tanabe b-pipe with a greddy axleback. It was horrible fit, so it might work or not.

good luck

P.S. what are tuned with?

thanks
Old 10-06-2004, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust advice? (v00tecsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v00tecsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
As far as the exhaust, I love the skunk2 but its too freakin loud! So I want to get either a apexi WS or something on the lines of a quieter exhaust. Now I was thinking, do you guys think its worth it to just sell the skunk2 as an axle back and just buy a new axle back instead of selling the whole thing as a cat back and buying a new cat back. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Look into the RS*R EX Mag. It's what I'm running, and everyone is jealous of the look and sound. I've been told it's as quiet or quieter than the WS, and it has perfect quality and fitment.

Go for the whole cat back. The quiet exhausts have a resonator, so you will have to replace the whole thing if you want to get a quieter exhaust.

Old 10-06-2004, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know how suitable thay are for N/A engines, but my Kamikaze 4-1 has a 2.5" collector and was very inexpensive. I got a Carsound cat and a couple of Magnaflow 4" cans (one for muffler, one for resonator for &lt;$200 shipped and had somebody local weld up the rest for $200. That worked real well and sounded good, much quieter than the Tanabe I had on it before.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:25 AM

Default Re: (Lil Corb)

Hmmm originally I stayed away from the apexi WS because like you guys said, I was afraid it would not be free flowing enough. In general the quieter the exhaust, the more restrictive it is

The other side of me just says I only have stage 1 cams and the ws or any other quieter exhaust will do just fine (at most 1-2hp loss up top) As far as the header, I will look into the apexi, thanks!

BTW for whoever asked, I am running a kenji chipped p-28 and the car was tuned with a vafc. I am seriously looking into a hondata s100 though. I am going to do a search now and research it some to see if it's worth it to get it. I'm not sure that my tuner is a hondata dealer (he uses the aem power fc) so we'll see. Any suggestions/comments are welcomed.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (v00tecsi)

Type One Full catback! So nice.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:06 AM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told by Dave at SMSP that the ITR JDM 4-1 factory header had better ground clearance than the DC JDM 4-1, so that may be an option for you as well since the price is in your range.

I run the 2.25" Magnaflow cat-back on my car and like the sound a lot and have similar mods to you. I don't find it loud at all but the only thing I'm not crazy about is the fact that the tip sits in underneath the rear bumper and leaves exhaust residue on my back bumper. I was looking into switching to a skunk cat-back like yours but I don't want something loud...were you running the restrictor plate in the muffler or did you just leave it out and wide open?