Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust

right now i just have a bomz muffler on my 2001 civic lx. i also have intake. it sounds ok right now but kinda quite. if i get bigger tubing will it be louder?
Old 08-08-2004, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: exhaust (ohnoitssoysauce)

bigger, as in larger opening?
Old 08-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: exhaust ({PBA}Threat)

if you get a bigger pipe without resonators in it then yes it will be louder, but your car will still be slow
Old 08-08-2004, 08:41 PM

Default Re: exhaust ({PBA}Threat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by {PBA}Threat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bigger, as in larger opening?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes i have stock tubing right now. i should have gotten the whole cat back exahust but i just got the muffler. so if i get bigger tubing then it will be just like the cat back right?

Default Re: exhaust (BauleyCivic)

dont get bigger pipes unless your gonna have something blowing a massive amount of air into it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you get a bigger pipe without resonators in it then yes it will be louder, but your car will still be slow</TD></TR></TABLE>

how can i make it faster with exhaust?
Old 08-08-2004, 08:44 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: exhaust (ohnoitssoysauce)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ohnoitssoysauce &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
how can i make it faster with exhaust?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can't.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:49 PM

oh then what is the point in gettin exahust when you cant make it faster?
Old 08-08-2004, 08:51 PM

Exhaust is to let the engine breathe better. Getting just a cat-back won't make your car all that faster..if you add intake and a header, that will do a little more.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:53 PM

Default Re: (jeffk182)

i have short ram intake and i was planning on getter headers
Old 08-08-2004, 09:39 PM

Default Re: (ohnoitssoysauce)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ohnoitssoysauce &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have short ram intake and i was planning on getter headers</TD></TR></TABLE>

..."header"...

Old 08-08-2004, 10:08 PM

Default Re: (honda95civic)

what do high performance cats do?
Old 08-08-2004, 10:11 PM

Reduce backpressure. Why do you want a louder exhaust? So you can get more tickets?
Old 08-08-2004, 10:13 PM

Default Re: (crashN2u)

i just like the sound of it.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:16 PM

should i get header or the bigger piping first?
Old 08-08-2004, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dang sorrie to flame on you but you sound like a ricer
Old 08-09-2004, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think you need to research more man. im not trying to make a joke or be mean, but the questions your asking are pretty obvious. but im gonna make it straight and clear for you.

2001 civic right? i have an 2003 ex coupe so its pretty much the same engine and chassis.

as for performance gains, our engines lack increase of power. our little 1.7 liter isnt much to spend time on. but you WILL notice a small slight gain with performance mods such as intake, header, cat, exhaust. http://www.7thgencivic.com is very imformative and i recommend you checking it out. you'll thank me later

heres what i know of as far as for performance:

intake: short ram will decrease your low end but getting better power at your high end. this doesnt mean your gonna get 3hp, more like 1hp. cold air intakes are a better selection as for performance, but a risk if your living in terrible weather. but their are bypass valves that aem makes. if you dont know what that is, check out http://www.aempower.com best choice of intakes out for the 7thgen civic so far are aem/injen/k&n. the K&N firk intake is known to be the best performance short ram intake on the market for our 7thgens. again, check out http://www.7thgencivic.com for more information on this.

header: only 4-1 applications header are out for our cars. 4-1 headers are known to give better gains at high rpms rather then low-mid like the 4-2-1 headers. it is a proven fact that dc sports 4-1 header for the 7thgen is crap while kamakazi and hp racing is the best header as of performance on the market. keep in mind dc sports header 4-1 is carb legal.

cat: yes a hi flow cat will increase power, but not much. this performance mod lets the exhaust flow freely. when i installed my megan hi flow cat (which was a downpipe after the header and a cat replacement) my car got a little more juice and much more responsive.

exhaust: catback exhaust systems are known to pretty much do nothing for our cars. i never owned one yet, but some say its worth it and some dont. i guess its the price of the exhaust for our cars that what makes it so negative on the exhaust market. would you pay $450+ dollars just for a measly 1hp gain and louder sounds? **** no, i wouldnt. since you like having a loud car, why dont you just take out your mid pipe (pipe after cat and before muffler) and ride around like that? save you the bucks since you love riding loud.

again, highly recommend visiting http://www.7thgencivic.com for most information based on the 7thgen civics.
btw, what is your goal? just to make your car louder?

-Tommy
Old 08-09-2004, 05:48 AM

Default Re: (JTTeGx)

thanks for all that information and i like that site. my goal is just trying to make my car faster. i dont have that much money so waht can i do?
Old 08-09-2004, 07:45 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ohnoitssoysauce &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for all that information and i like that site. my goal is just trying to make my car faster. i dont have that much money so waht can i do?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nothing to make it very fast. I think you should do hours and hours of research on your car, the parts available, what you want the final product to be (street, track, show). If you just keep buying parts it will look dumb and not perform well.

An exhaust is not a real power adder but more of an "enhancer". It won't add any noticable power (I know, I know, many people will argue that they noticed those 1-3hp on their o-so-calibrated butt dyno but I don't believe it). However, if you have a turbo, header, built engine, etc. then your exhaust will aid in the rest of the cars performance.

A loud exhaust does not mean you are fast, have a nice car, are god, etc. infact, most people will think just the opposite and the cops will love you because they will get their quota everytime you drive by them. I personally would rather a quiet car that is fast.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JTTeGx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">intake: short ram will decrease your low end but getting better power at your high end. </TD></TR></TABLE>
I believe you have that backwards. Short ram = low end and CAI = no low end.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:55 AM

Default Re: (SolObsession)

well basically i want it for show. i just want to do the basic performance parts: intake, header, and exhaust. but maybe a turbo along the road? then i just want to work on making it look good
Old 08-09-2004, 08:19 AM

Don't get the I/H if you are going to do turbo down the road. It is a waste of money since those parts are useless once you go turbo. The exhaust could even be useless if the piping is too small.

My advice to you is to not spend any money on the engine for a while. Just get some suspension done for now.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:34 AM

what kind of suspension should i do? i'm debating on whether to lower my car or not. maybe i should get my body kit on first then see how low it is
Old 08-09-2004, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

on my 2003 civic ex auto.. when i installed an aem short ram intake, my low end was loss but increased my high end. maybe its just the car? ask the other 7thgen members and they'll tell you about it.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ohnoitssoysauce &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what kind of suspension should i do? i'm debating on whether to lower my car or not. maybe i should get my body kit on first then see how low it is</TD></TR></TABLE>

uh oh get ready to get flamed
Old 08-09-2004, 08:27 PM

Default Re: (jerbear!)

haha maybe i will get flamed because i'm a noob

Quick Reply: exhaust