Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

are EX calipers and DX calipers different? rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are EX calipers and DX calipers different? rotors?

i have rotors that fit these cars:

90-01 Acura Integra (excludes Type R)
90-01 Honda Civic Ex
99-01 Honda Civic Si

i have a '94 dx, i think the rotors are not as thick, they look smaller. either way can i just slap EX calipers on them? what all do i have to change?

thanks.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: are EX calipers and DX calipers different? rotors? (pennhatch)

ttt
Old 11-22-2005, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pennhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have rotors that fit these cars:

90-01 Honda Civic Ex
99-01 Honda Civic Si

i have a '94 dx, i think the rotors are not as thick, they look smaller. either way can i just slap EX calipers on them? what all do i have to change?

thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, the DX has smaller brakes then all the cars you listed above...

The 99 Si and Integra I believe have the same sized rotors, but different sized calipers. Here is what I know for SURE:

Your 94 DX has 9.45 inch brakes. The 92-95 Si was 10.38 with 9.43" rear disc. I am not entirely sure about the size of Integra brakes, but I KNOW you can find it on here using the ole search..

EDIT: no "slapping" involved. You need to change the knuckle as just putting the larger caliper on will not help. The knuckle also moves the caliper out to accomodate the larger rotors.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pennhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have rotors that fit these cars:

90-01 Honda Civic Ex
99-01 Honda Civic Si

thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The simple answer is no, without changing the front steering knuckles you can't use the larger rotor/caliper combo.

If you wanted to change the knuckles to a set from an Integra (94-01) for example, then yes.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

crap, i really wanted to slap something. thanks for the help guys, sounds like more work than i was hoping for. guess ill opt for the rear disc while im at it.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: are EX calipers and DX calipers different? rotors? (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Your 94 DX has 9.45 inch brakes. The 92-95 Si was 10.38 with 9.43" rear disc. I am not entirely sure about the size of Integra brakes, but I KNOW you can find it on here using the ole search..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

94-01 all integra brakes (cept type r) are the same which is 10.3, only the 92-95 si's that have abs are the 10.3, all others are still the 9.4

but yea you have to have the knuckels, as the calipers wont straight bolt in to your caliper brackets
Old 11-22-2005, 10:05 AM

Default Re: are EX calipers and DX calipers different? rotors? (sockvtec)

also all the rear disk from 92-95, and 94-01 teg are the same size
Old 11-22-2005, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so i should just get an ex front knuckle with abs? and im guessing the abs isnt going to matter right?

if i use integra knuckles will it sit differently? on an EF hatch i had it sat a lot lowwer with all the teg suspension and i dont want to deal with that crap again.

ex. here is one EX without ABS
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWD1V

and with...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWD1V

so the without abs is a different size caliper???????

htanks.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you find knuckles I have an INtegra 10.2'' front brake conversion from a GSR.

Comes with calipers, hubs, used AEM pads, and powerslot rotors
Old 11-23-2005, 01:08 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pennhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so i should just get an ex front knuckle with abs? and im guessing the abs isnt going to matter right?

if i use integra knuckles will it sit differently? on an EF hatch i had it sat a lot lowwer with all the teg suspension and i dont want to deal with that crap again.

so the without abs is a different size caliper???????

htanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes the calipers and rotors are different, but the knuckles are the same size

you can get the ex setup with abs, and no the abs doesnt matter
but i would reccommend jus getting a 94-01 teg front setup because the caliper and piston are bigger (im not sure about the piston...) i got my 99 gsr front complete swap on here for only 235 shipped to my door, so its not that expensive and it swaps right over, the arm is a bit taller, but an alignment would fix that
Old 11-23-2005, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sockvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes the calipers and rotors are different, but the knuckles are the same size

you can get the ex setup with abs, and no the abs doesnt matter
but i would reccommend jus getting a 94-01 teg front setup because the caliper and piston are bigger (im not sure about the piston...) i got my 99 gsr front complete swap on here for only 235 shipped to my door, so its not that expensive and it swaps right over, the arm is a bit taller, but an alignment would fix that </TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont think the Integra knuckles are any taller and if they were an alignment will not fix that problem. In 'stock' form the camber isn't adjustable on EG/DC chassis.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i guess i am just going to buy whatever i can find, as a complete swap. 235 is not bad at all. i mean if there was a hell of a difference i would get the gsr, but for the track i am giong to have a seperate set of race pads and rotors so i dont think the smaller caliper wouldnt be able to handle it.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: are EX calipers and DX calipers different? rotors? (mrchaos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrchaos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I dont think the Integra knuckles are any taller and if they were an alignment will not fix that problem. In 'stock' form the camber isn't adjustable on EG/DC chassis.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well the arm actually is taller, and sorry i didnt mention it earlier but i do have a camber kit....its worth it tho, the gsr braking system is amazing on my si and it will be better when i get the 15/16'' master cylinder
Old 11-24-2005, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: are EX calipers and DX calipers different? rotors? (mrchaos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrchaos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont think the Integra knuckles are any taller and if they were an alignment will not fix that problem. In 'stock' form the camber isn't adjustable on EG/DC chassis.</TD></TR></TABLE>

integra knuckles are the same size and fit perfectly... i had GSR knuckles on my hatchback w/ no problems..

also have ex knuckles for sale complete with calipers and rotors if anyone needs them.. thanks

Old 11-24-2005, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: are EX calipers and DX calipers different? rotors? (hadehatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hadehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">integra knuckles are the same size and fit perfectly... i had GSR knuckles on my hatchback w/ no problems..

also have ex knuckles for sale complete with calipers and rotors if anyone needs them.. thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

thought so, i have complete integra suspension and the front knuckles were direct fit, same size.