Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EX Brakes question.....brake gurus..come on it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EX Brakes question.....brake gurus..come on it!!!

Alright, I have been rockin a set of 17" Tenzo Sinko R's (Please no flaming, I know some of you guys dont like them, however I do) I am planning on selling them and im really aiming toward a set of Rota's. Now sure which ones yet as I like to many of them.

My question is, What are all you guys doing for upgraded brakes behind a 15 or 16 inch wheel. 99% of the upgraded brake kits require a 17" wheel. Some of the smaller rotor upgraded brakes can squeeze by with a 16" wheel but chances are you need to notch the caliper. I would like to get a nice set of AEM,s or Willwood's, but all I want is the Upgraded rotors, and a nice set of pads. The upgraded calipers (4 piston) I think are a little overkill, my car doesnt see track time at all other than a couple trip here and there down the 1/4 mile and the drag strip.

Just looking for a little upgrade as my stock brakes get really hot, really fast.

TIA

Jon

Modified by shadow103rd at 1:05 AM 8/14/2004
Old 08-13-2004, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EX Brakes question.....brake gurus..come on it!!! (shadow103rd)

Ok so you want to get upgraded rotors and brake pads??? so upgraded rotors = same as your stock but now its slotted or drilled? As far as temp goes.. thats how it works its called friction. Honestly just get a GSR brake set-up to replace your stock EX set up and call it good.

OH and you cant just upgrade the rotor, you need to upgrade the caliper to make it work
Old 08-13-2004, 11:38 PM

I think he wants larger rotors..aka big brake kit. Am I rite?
Old 08-13-2004, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jeffk182)

do the integra brake swap and then go to http://www.fastbrakes.com, just get the 11" rotor kit....no need to upgrade calipers...
Old 08-14-2004, 12:09 AM

Default Re: (jeffk182)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeffk182 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think he wants larger rotors..aka big brake kit. Am I rite?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea just one of the OE Calipers big brake kits. There are tons of companies that offer upgraded rotors.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BatuKing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok so you want to get upgraded rotors and brake pads??? so upgraded rotors = same as your stock but now its slotted or drilled? As far as temp goes.. thats how it works its called friction. Honestly just get a GSR brake set-up to replace your stock EX set up and call it good.

OH and you cant just upgrade the rotor, you need to upgrade the caliper to make it work </TD></TR></TABLE>

I know its called friction. But wont bigger rotors/cross drilled/slotter rotors help with keeping the heat down. I know there going to get hot. Im sure bigger brakes will dissipate heat alot quicker and not get so hot so fast like my stock ones.

Jon

Modified by shadow103rd at 1:37 AM 8/14/2004
Old 08-14-2004, 03:04 AM

Default Re: EX Brakes question.....brake gurus..come on it!!! (shadow103rd)

what you need is the SPOON direct fit caliber, it has 4 pistons, and will mount to your stock bracket, the the price is way up there, good luck
Old 08-15-2004, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (shadow103rd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shadow103rd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I know its called friction. But wont bigger rotors/cross drilled/slotter rotors help with keeping the heat down. I know there going to get hot. Im sure bigger brakes will dissipate heat alot quicker and not get so hot so fast like my stock ones.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

OK so your telling me that you want to get a bigger rotor, ( which you cannot do with out getting either a caliper re-mount kit to compensate for the bigger diameter Or get a new caliper with the kit )

YET you want to keep the same caliper. answer is it will not do anything at all. Why, because in order to make the car brake better you need additional pressure and more surface area so you can increase the PSI on the caliper piston to create more friction, but that will increase the heat

Even if you cool down the rotor by getting slotted or drilled rotors, all your doing is eliminating brake fade, which at best is not really noticable unless you do some Auto-X courses. So Again as I told you ealier you might as well get GSR or a full upgrade kit if your wanting to stop faster or to keep brakes cool.

And also are you really noticing a big diffrence in your brake's performance when it gets hot? I mean no matter what you do they will always be HOT