Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Everyone PLEASE Read - Let's Make This Forum BETTER!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 06:22 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Everyone PLEASE Read - Let's Make This Forum BETTER!

If you guys will notice, there are 6 different topics about the SAME subject all lumped together here on the EG+Civic/DEl Sol forum.

The subject?

Best engine into a 1992-2000 Civic pretty much, with most of them being 1992-1995 Civics.

While I enjoy helping anyone else out, I also get frustrated seeing 6+topics all together that are about the same thing. There is a search function here, and although it sucks sometimes it's still useful for subjects like this because it's been covered MANY times.

I am not trying to be a dick here, so please don't take it that way. My suggestion is that maybe a mod could just delete some of the similiar topics, or lock them, and combine them all into one good thread and then IM each person whose thread was locked and/or deleted.

This would clean up the forum a bit I think, and those who needed the help would still get it.

If you read all of those threads, they aren't really specific cases, but more of the general advise type questions, which could be answered by reading any of the other same topics. I know people want to feel as though advise is being catered specifically to them, but if the question can be answered by reading one of the other threads, then why create another one?

I do not think this will be solved by replying with "Do a Search *******!" because then flames begin, and potential new members will mistake H-T for other shitty MBs. How about "Please do a search, and here's some related links for you to enjoy..."

Sorry if I come across like an ***, but I care about this forum and I want to see other topics too, besides the usual "Which motor is best" stuff when it's been covered before.

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2002, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Everyone PLEASE Read - Let's Make This Forum BETTER! (B18C5-EH2)

Absolutely right. Most of the cut and dry questions have been asked already, so they're somewhere on the site. One problem is that someone will ask a question and some dick will think that it's too common a question and do the "try a search" response like an *******. I've seen that happen when people are trying to find out some obscure things too. It's all about perception. I remember one time when a guy wanted some specs on a DSM part and I told him to check out some DSM sites for better info and I got flamed. It's just weird around here.
Old 03-23-2002, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Everyone PLEASE Read - Let's Make This Forum BETTER! (ZCTURBO)

Tom I have been saying to get a FAQ section for the longest time. I just think that it will reduce a lot of the repeat topics!!
Old 03-23-2002, 08:21 AM
Don't call it a comeback

Default Re: Everyone PLEASE Read - Let's Make This Forum BETTER! (letsride)

Im down for the FAQ too. Also someone should make the search button bigger!
Old 03-23-2002, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

B18C5-EH2
mod in training

LOL

Old 03-23-2002, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Everyone PLEASE Read - Let's Make This Forum BETTER! (SuperDragII)

I did a search for 'B16', 'B18', 'GSR', and 'EG swap' before i posted my question, and it didn't return any similar results. Also, mine was slightly different, because I stated that I intended to build the new engine, and also to turbo it. Although I am not suprised that you guys didn't mention anything about those aspects, especially after you said that my post was the same as the guy who posted, asking if the B18C was really $1k better than a B16, and it sounded like that was all he was going to do with it. And yes you guys come off sounding like ********, and yes this was my first post, and no i'm not coming back. So have a good day, bitches
Old 03-23-2002, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Everyone PLEASE Read - Let's Make This Forum BETTER! (VtecMatt)

I did a search for 'B16', 'B18', 'GSR', and 'EG swap' before i posted my question, and it didn't return any similar results. Also, mine was slightly different, because I stated that I intended to build the new engine, and also to turbo it. Although I am not suprised that you guys didn't mention anything about those aspects, especially after you said that my post was the same as the guy who posted, asking if the B18C was really $1k better than a B16, and it sounded like that was all he was going to do with it. And yes you guys come off sounding like ********, and yes this was my first post, and no i'm not coming back. So have a good day, bitches
well, ill be the first to say that we dont want people like you here to begin with. you seem to lack the common sense that god gave the common man, and that common sense is called research. the internet is filled with hundreds, if not thousands of rescources of motor building, specs, etc. if you took maybe 15 minutes to browse around the site here, youd most definately see some answers to your very common question.

maybe you can do what i did in this case, i joined the site, barely posted anything, but did a lot of reading posts on the site...getting to know diff. people, etc. then, after getting to know the feel, i started posting more often, and sometimes voicing my opinion...you cant always jump out and say what you want when youre a newbie...
Old 03-23-2002, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Everyone PLEASE Read - Let's Make This Forum BETTER! (ThunderLipps)

just an idea.. wouldn't it be better to split the del sol and civic boards up.. alot of other boards are doing it this way...
Old 03-23-2002, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Posting a FAQ thread may help, but it will definitely not eliminate the problem. Alot of times people just want the instant answer and they post before looking, assuming that this is what the forum is for. Of course that is what its for, but like you guys said, some things have been covered enough that old threads could be found covering the subject sometimes into great detail. I myself have answered to some of the repeat questions, simply by posting a link to a thread that is helpful. I do agree with you guys, searching is definitely the best way, I did that for a long time without even posting here, and I still do it. In my opinion, this board has the best information hidden away in old topics, no other board seems to go into nearly as much detail as some of the threads Ive found when researching. That is an excellent reflection on the members of this board and their experience and knowledge in Honda tuning, and I would hate for these same members to become frustrated and lose interest in this board.

For the veterans: Patience is a virtue, please try to be understanding even when newbies test your nerves.

For the newbies: The only way to get what you want is through hard work, this is true in all aspects, even researching. Take the time to put that work in yourself, do not solely rely on someone else to do the work for you.

I consider myself a newbie still and I try to live by what I wrote here. I am not saying Im perfect. Im sure I have asked a few repetitive questions to things that I could easily have found answers to, but I would not mind it one bit if someone came along and checked me for that. Let me know its been covered, and if you have the time and patience, post a link to the thread it was covered in.

Overall, I love this board. When it comes to getting precise technical info, I don't think any board can touch it. Thats just how I feel, and I can bet most of you feel the same. Now let me stop babbling.
Old 03-23-2002, 01:25 PM
Former Moderator

Default Re: Everyone PLEASE Read - Let's Make This Forum BETTER! (VtecMatt)

First of all VtecMatt, WTF? I did post replies to your topics, and I thought I gave you some good info. This topic here was NOT directed at you, but since you percieved it that way perhaps I struck a nerve with you.

Calling me and others bitches is very cool of you. After I helped you out, you call me a bitch.

I can forgive and forget, and I wasn't trying to run you or anyone else out of here.

You started a topic that asked which swap was best. It was pretty general with the exception of brief mention of a turbo kit later on down the road. That thread is here:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=148583

LATER you started the other topic about which motor was better to build for boost, so I even told you that the boost forum would be the better place to find out. You started this one out with a thanks to those who replied to your first one, and only then did you get really specific about boosting the motor. That's when I directed you towards the boost forum because they will know more, and be more helpful to you than the regular Civic forum. Here's that thread:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=149616

And I'm a bitch for that? Come on man, cool off and think before you type some **** like that.

[Modified by B18C5-EH2, 1:37 PM 3/24/2002]
Old 03-23-2002, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Figure I should move this topic up top!
Old 03-23-2002, 04:14 PM
JV
Who?

I agree, i'm tired of coming on here and seeing the same topics over and over (ie. Type R rear swaybar, Which motor is best, What color is best, Etc......). I use the search function often and if i don't find anything useful i will IM somebody who seems knowledgeable about the subject. The FAQ forum seems like a good idea.
I'll even add the first link. http://odin.prohosting.com/delsol94/...apFAQmain.html
Old 03-23-2002, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Everyone PLEASE Read - Let's Make This Forum BETTER! (JV)

Attention MODS: Go check out the http://WWW.DSMTALK.COM forums' newbies section. They have a different thread for each of the commonly asked questions and inside they have links to a load of threads that answer that question. It seems like it's worked at least a little, not as many repetitive posts.
Old 03-23-2002, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Everyone PLEASE Read - Let's Make This Forum BETTER! (ZCTURBO)

y helo thar!!! buttseckz?
Old 03-24-2002, 12:35 AM

even though this seems to be a dead thread...i just got home from seing blade 2, and decided to check out the civic forum before i went to bed...im sorry, but it sucks...our list of topics include things like, list your personalized plates, how do i change lightbulbs in my dome light...check out my new airfreshner...etc, etc. im not saying that my posts are better than anyone elses, by far. what im asking i guess is why do the mods allow things like this to continue? i understand you cant always catch everything everyone does...but i feel im on the same page as tom (b18c5-eh2) here...maybe we need another mod for the civic forum? not that theres anyhting wrong with who we have, just that it would be nice to have more "coverage". ****, i view HT at least three times a day, id be happy to do it...
Old 03-24-2002, 02:00 AM
B18C-EJ1

Seriously. I'm on this bandwagon. I've stopped answering questions because I'm tired of typing constantly about the same thing over and over.

For those that know me, sorry I've been an *** lately, but after being here for as long as I have been, and seeing the demise of this board, it's time to actually do something about it.

Tom has a VERY valid point.

Old 03-24-2002, 04:51 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: Everyone PLEASE Read - Let's Make This Forum BETTER! (B18C-EJ1)

There is also a better method to searching too.

It really sucks, but if you'll try these things first you might find what you're looking for:

BEFORE doing a search try scrolling through each page of the topics here in the forum. There's usually a topic that deals with your question, but it might be worded differently.

If you still don't find it, try a search with the "Recent" topics. Try typing in many different titles and key words, because sometimes people title their topics strangely.

Finally, try searching in the "Archived" topics - I think this is where people miss out. Sometimes you'll put it on "Archived" but if you don't click outside the box it will reset to "Recent" topics.

Another thing we all can do to help is title the topics very plain. If you're talking about "Which motor is better, B16A, B18C1, etc" then put them in the title. I see topics like "I have a Question" and even if the topic ends up being the best damn thread with tons of tech in it, we'll never be able to find it when searching.

Better titles means better searches.

Our search function does not always work good. I have known almost the exact title of a topic and it still would not pull it up. This is why I have tried to tone down my open-ended "Do A SEARCH!!!" replies to seemingly simple questions. What we can do to make it better is do a search ourselves and then post up our results in a reply. If you have a lot of results, then kindly tell them:

"We have a search function, and here is what I found by doing a search." Since the post count is no longer right there in our faces, someone's first post could be his or her's last post if they get dogpiled with the "Do a SEARCH!!!" replies. Some people actually do not know about the search function.

Just a few thoughts.
Old 03-24-2002, 09:38 AM

yeah, but you forgot to mention the posts that dont seem to belong in this forum that end up staying here for some odd reason...i just feel it brings down the forum...not that theres anything wrong with them, just makes the civic forum look less "valid".
Old 03-25-2002, 06:27 AM
Former Moderator

TTT anyone?
Old 03-25-2002, 06:58 AM

good call on the forementioned Tom, "better titles mean better searches"...great point, but as you also pointed out, sometimes it's hard to find topics, even if you know the topic name...why is that? I think a FAQ would be great, just throw some **** together and sticky it.
Old 03-25-2002, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Everyone PLEASE Read - Let's Make This Forum BETTER!

do like other boards do and put up a NEWBIE FORUM where the simple things can be covered or something... and imo the layout of the site, although clean, kind of hurts the eyes when doing a more strenuous search, maybe because the fonts are small, and the fact that the boards move so fast it's hard to find something from the day before. just my .02
Old 03-25-2002, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Everyone PLEASE Read - Let's Make This Forum BETTER! (tFUnK)

do like other boards do and put up a NEWBIE FORUM where the simple things can be covered or something.
https://honda-tech.com/zeroforum?id=34 ...I definitely see room for improvement though.
Old 03-25-2002, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Everyone PLEASE Read - Let's Make This Forum BETTER! (evergruven)

Old 03-26-2002, 01:38 AM

Default Re: Everyone PLEASE Read - Let's Make This Forum BETTER! (owen_the_soyboy)

who ever makes it past me has made it a long ways...that was a sight for sore eyes.............
Old 03-26-2002, 05:18 AM

Default Re: Everyone PLEASE Read - Let's Make This Forum BETTER! (aNaRcHyiNmYeK)

Another suggestion would be for newcomers could have sort of a "disclamer" window pop up while registering a screen name pointing out some of the key features of this site. That way before they can even post on here they could read about the search function, rules & regs., a FAQ page, etc......

Food for thought........anyone hungry yet?!

Quick Reply: Everyone PLEASE Read - Let's Make This Forum BETTER!