Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ever have this happen to you?

Old 06-15-2004, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ever have this happen to you?

every time i get in my car(eg) i wait for the fuel pump to prime(i know when its done by the click, the check engine light going off,and the sound of the fuel pump priming and then stopping )then i start her up..well after i got home from work i did some **** in the garage and went to the store..when i came out i went to start my car and the click didnt happen but check engine light went off but i didnt hear the pump or the click in the dash..my car wouldnt start..so i tried it again like 10 seconds later and same thing..after like 10 minutes of wqaiting and then trying again..the fuel pump made a priming sound and i heard the click when it was doen..my car started ..what causes this to happen? is it the fuel pump going bad? is it an electrical relay problem?
Old 06-15-2004, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ever have this happen to you? (Grip)

Happens to me more then i wish. The same goddamn exact thing. I want to know also
Old 06-15-2004, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ever have this happen to you? (dohcdelsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Happens to me more then i wish. The same goddamn exact thing. I want to know also</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahah have you just been driving around like this for a while?..this same exact thing happesn to my brothers ef and i used to laugh at hime cause of his ghetto *** car that starts when it wants to..but then i too joined the ghetto half *** starting car club...bump for an answer
Old 06-15-2004, 07:03 PM
Global Moderator

Yeah it happened to me all of the time untill i fixed it.

It's a faulty main relay.

If you notice when this happens you can reach down and tap the main relay and it will turn on ( the fuel pump priming)

This happens because of dry soldier joints on the relay.

Notice it always happens it hot weather?

You can fix it for less then $5.00

Mines been working for 3+ months now.

http://www.markl.f9.co.uk/howt...y.htm
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://autorepair.about.com/cs...1.htm

Need any help....PM me or AIM me
(werd jimmy)

Old 06-15-2004, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ever have this happen to you? (Jimmy)

sweetness
Old 06-15-2004, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it's definetely the 'Fuel Pump Relay'

Old 06-15-2004, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ever have this happen to you? (JDM-FREAK)

nope..its the "main relay" read what the dude above said and check out his links
Old 06-15-2004, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is fuel pump relay...

so i'm still wrong...
Old 06-15-2004, 08:02 PM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ever have this happen to you? (JDM-FREAK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-FREAK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
this is fuel pump relay...

so i'm still wrong... </TD></TR></TABLE>

No your right, but its known as the "main relay". Yes it primes the fuel system, but not sure where you got that name......still makes sense though, but the actual part name is the main realy.

I just bought a new one from honda last week b/c my car had the same problem. Yes it happens during summer time and yes its a pain in the ***.

The main relay switch goes bad due to the heated interior caused by the sun. Eventually the sodder will crack and this is where the problem occurs.

*If you are too cheap to by a new one and dont have the time to repair it, a solution in the meantime is to let the interior cool off for about ten minutes and then wait for the click to start it. Once started, I gave mine gas b/c when the main relay was bad it would sometimes click and prime the system, but then shut off when the car was started, causing the car to rev then stall.

It is an all to common phenomenon that happens to honda's during the summer heat.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:32 PM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (l Hybrid l)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by l Hybrid l &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Where can i buy a new one? How much does it go for? Im too lazy to soldier it myself and i have no experience. I had a problem today and for the past couple of weeks. So it might be this https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=896599</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it is your main relay. A new one from honda is about 60$. Its plug and play and takes all of 1 min to locate it and replace it.

IMO I say just to buy a new one so you can be assured it will last you for another 10 years or so....thats if you even have the car taht long...
Old 06-15-2004, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am voting "main relay." I open up both doors and let the wind fix the problem. it is so annoying! Good info!

Old 06-15-2004, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the same problem. suppose someone is driving my car and they let it stall once or twice when its warm it wont start for a minute or so. it happened to me once when i went for gas also. ok now i know what it is
Old 06-15-2004, 10:18 PM

that has happened to me too.

i dont know has it ever happend while you were driving? i changed the fuel pump to a bbk and still not working, then i changed the main relay and still not working. its wierd cause sometimes the i can hear the pump go on and some times i cant. and my interior lights and headlights dont work now.

what can i check?

my car has been in a shop for a few months and they say that it its my injectors and there is not juice runnig through it. should i just change the injectors or let them figure it out?

ohh yea i have a jdm b16 in an eg
Old 06-15-2004, 10:55 PM

I'll agree I've had the same problem on my hatch before. My stupid car wouldnt start and I knew that the fuel pumps made enough noise to be audible, so I unplugged the main relay and jumped the harness and the fuel pump turned on so I went and grabbed a bunch of these from the local yard. So if anyone needs them I got a couple up for grabs
Old 06-15-2004, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tw1n Turb0 Z)

what happens when the fuel pump "primes"?
Old 06-16-2004, 01:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same problem happen to me... then i got mad and i smelled smoke...fried the line.....check for the ground wire also
Old 06-16-2004, 06:24 AM

Default Re: (mr poo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mr poo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what happens when the fuel pump "primes"?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The fuel pump pressurises the lines so when you start your engine it does so immediately. There is a valve that's suppose to lock in fuel pressure so you don't have to do that but I guess as the car get's old it starts to leak. I know in my car if I just turned it off 15mins ago the car will start right up but if it's been a while I need to let it "prime".
Old 06-16-2004, 07:00 AM
Global Moderator

Come on..

don't go and pay 60.00 for a new honda main relay.

Pull the casing off the relay and heat up all of the little soldier joints that are on the back and just make a few spot soldiers and it's done.

Don't worry about messing anything up, because whats the worst thats gonna happen is you haft to go out and buy a new one, which you were gonna do that anyway, RIGHT?

Old 06-16-2004, 07:48 AM

Master Fuel relay?&gt;?

Old 06-16-2004, 08:02 AM

Default Re: ever have this happen to you? (93CivicSI)

this happens to almost everyone.. lol its the main relay... i remember the fist time it happened to me and i thought i messed up something serious lol but when it started again in 5-10 mins i knew it was something minor

Modified by Navid OG at 2:49 PM 6/16/2004
Old 06-16-2004, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ever have this happen to you? (93CivicSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93CivicSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Master Fuel relay?&gt;?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No - it IS called the Main Relay.

There are actually two sets of contacts, or switches, inside this relay. One set supplies battery voltage to the ECU, injectors, and IACV. A second set is used to supply battery voltage to the fuel pump.

If you're not comfortable with soldering, then just buy a new one. But since yours is duffed and needs replacing/repairing, you might want to take this chance just to try it as "Jimmy" suggested. A soldering iron from Radio Shack is only a few bills, so the worst you'll be out is the cost of the iron, plus you've got "twin turbo z" offering up one of his which I doubt he'd want 60 bills for.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:55 AM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmspec1122)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmspec1122 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that has happened to me too.

i dont know has it ever happend while you were driving? i changed the fuel pump to a bbk and still not working, then i changed the main relay and still not working. its wierd cause sometimes the i can hear the pump go on and some times i cant. and my interior lights and headlights dont work now.

what can i check?

my car has been in a shop for a few months and they say that it its my injectors and there is not juice runnig through it. should i just change the injectors or let them figure it out?

ohh yea i have a jdm b16 in an eg</TD></TR></TABLE>

"It's also possible that the car has more than one thing that is causing a hard start. You could also have a bad ignition switch, a bad igniter and a bad ignition coil.

If there isn't any spark, move your spark tester to the coil tower to rule out plug wires, cap or rotor. If you still don't have spark, you have a bad ignition coil."

This info was taken directly from http://autorepair.about.com/cs...b.htm

For more info, go there^^

Old 06-16-2004, 08:55 AM

Default Re: (Andres-eh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Andres-eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">suppose someone is driving my car and they let it stall once or twice when its warm it wont start for a minute or so. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats why NOBODY but me drives my car
Old 06-16-2004, 09:25 AM
New User

Default Re: (jaydogg80)

OEM honda wants those relay(s) for cash money...

Go to a dealership with popped hoods and ****** one, j/k

Good info...
Old 06-16-2004, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (976)

where is the main realy located in an eg?..near the fusebox?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ever have this happen to you?