Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Even more suspension questions/preferences

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Even more suspension questions/preferences

Well, I've been reading up (earlier I was looking at the Buddy Club N+ coilovers), and from what I've gathered...full coilovers ride rougher than lowering springs. My hatchback is my daily driver and I don't want internal bleeding from my kidneys...so coilovers might happen when I have something else to drive, but for now, I need something that will lower my car around 2", better handling, and a decent ride.

No, I don't want Ground Control coilovers and Koni yellows.

So, I've been looking at 2 possibilities now...

1) Skunk2 full suspension with Skunk2 lowering springs/struts and a Skunk2 front/rear camber kit (I'm an avid eBayer and found the lowering spring/struts for $420 with free shipping (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...QrdZ1) and the camber kit for $295 with free shipping (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...QrdZ1)...if you know of a legit place with better prices, do tell

2) Koni yellows with Tein S-Tech lowering springs...undecided camber kit...I don't know why, but I like to have all of the same brand for some odd reason for certain parts of my car

So, out of those 2, which sounds better and why, and if you have personal experiences with either or, share

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Even more suspension questions/preferences (JKov240)

i dd with coilovers... its not bad at all you just have to get the right ones.... i have dropzone coilovers... i know i know i'll probably get flamed supportin my dropzones lol but they've been on the car for 2 years and they ride great... i'm rollin on tokico blues and a skunk 2 camber kit... its not bad at all... but its your preference man

out of those 2 i like #1 probably a better ride

edit:
skunk 2 coilovers ride like springs... friend has them its smooth as hell
Old 04-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My car that got jacked 2 months ago had an awesome suspension set up. I loved it. I had Koni Yellows w/ Tanabe GF210 lowering springs and it lowered about 2" . Nice ride!
Old 04-24-2007, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Even more suspension questions/preferences (94c1v1cex)

got the tein coil over set on my car. they ride great.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Even more suspension questions/preferences (STI champstar)

I dd on coilovers too and love them. I'm using Ksport Kontrol Pros (lots of hard driving and no leaks). They ride alot better than the spring/shock combo I had on before them. If you buy good coilovers and spend just a little time to dial them in to your liking they can work out very well.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would definitely buy from the jdm-in-stock store, on ebay. 100% rating. But looks like the same prices.
http://stores.ebay.com/JDM-IN-...QtZkm

I would recommend the pro kit for the front. Its all adjustable from the bottom. And if you want Polyurethane bushings go pro+. If your bushings were as sucky/frozen/stuck as mine i would definitely get the pro+. There was no way i was going to get mine apart. The extra money is worth the missed agony.

I like my Skunk 2 springs/camber kit, awesome lowering, stiffer than stock. Not a bad ride at all, but I assume it would ride amazing with some aftermarket struts/shocks.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Even more suspension questions/preferences (Bob Dole!)

^I didn't even know that the pro kit was different from the regular one, but I'll look into that

As for the whole coilover thing, it's for me...but as for NOW, it's not for me...get what I'm saying? It's worth the money to get a quality set, but working 20ish hours a week (during school) and 35-40 a week during the summer doesn't really fit my budget too well...and the daily driving thing REALLY pushes me away from coilovers (even if you DO get them dialed correctly, which I would want somebody who's a professional at that to do it).

So I'm now leaning toward the Skunk2's...hopefully some more people chime in

I started adding up the Skunk2 spring/strut combo, front Pro-Series camber kit, and a rear camber kit and came up with $767.38 which isn't bad at all for everything I need

Modified by JKov240 at 5:48 PM 4/24/2007
Old 04-25-2007, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for more input
Old 04-26-2007, 04:19 AM

out of your two choices, i'd go with #2, from personal experience the tein springs are relatively comfy. why koni yellows, though? they're a bit more expensive and i honestly feel like you wouldn't be gaining that much more than say, kyb agx or even tokico blues.

also, think about throwing in some swaybars. if you do that, you can go with softer springs and still be better off than having no swaybar and stiff springs. obviously, money could be an issue.

also, people who've never tried them give me **** for this, but for a front camber kit, check out MRC. You can pick a set up on ebay for cheap. I picked up a set due to a friend's personal recommendation for my dd and it's been just fine, saved me a bunch of money. Granted, I don't take the dd to track days, but my friend drives stupidly hard all the time with the MRC camber kit and he's been just fine. Just chiming in, like you asked.

Whatever you do, take your time, and hopefully you end up with something you enjoy. Good luck.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Abhicles)

stechs are way to soft. If you do go that route, get kyb agx's. Yellows are overkill for a spring like the stechs.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Abhicles)

I'm leaning toward the Skunk2's...I've heard good stuff about them

I was also looking at a rear ASR subframe brace with a rear swaybar because I've heard that REALLY helps handling. But what about the front swaybar? Do you have to have brackets to mount it?
Old 04-28-2007, 07:27 PM

depends on what swaybar you're talking about. i have ST swaybars, they use brackets to mount up, some other companies (progress comes to mind) end up mounting to something different.