Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

erratic idle fix

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default erratic idle fix

My car had a erradic idle for about a month I had no vacuum leaks I changed my IACV,I have no FITV and heres a trick that someone taut me. Loosen the IACV (dont take off) take a piece of cardboard n block the screen Inside IACV and tighten it back,start ur car and idle should b fixed if still erratic u have vacuum leak,u might have to adjust idle after u do this and the car needs to b warm when u ndo this.Only catch is when ur start ur car n the morning (cold start) u have to hold the gas 4 a min untill it warms up cause this bypasses it from idleing at 1500 on a cold start....but this worked for me I bought a new IACV from advanced and I was told the IACV was still bad but this is a way to bypass it and u wont through no CEL... try it and c if it works for u
Old 03-10-2006, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: erratic idle fix (hondachris1994)

How about if you just fixed the problem correctly? That might work too.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: erratic idle fix (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How about if you just fixed the problem correctly? That might work too.</TD></TR></TABLE>I dont have $300 dollars for a honda OEM IACV and alot of ppl dont either especially when this works just as gd

$300 IACV or piece of cardboard (free) ur choice
Old 03-10-2006, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: erratic idle fix (hondachris1994)

OEM IACV's are around $150....at least for 6th gen Civic's. You said you bought a new one from Advanced. Well, if your stock one was bad, replace it with the known good one. Oh..you say it was bad too? So why didn't you return it? Advanced doesn't warranty their parts?

And it doesn't work "just as good" when you have to tell people what to watch out for and what to adjust to compensate for it and even then you're not gaurunteed good results.

Old 03-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OEM IACV's are around $150....at least for 6th gen Civic's. You said you bought a new one from Advanced. Well, if your stock one was bad, replace it with the known good one. Oh..you say it was bad too? So why didn't you return it? Advanced doesn't warranty their parts?

</TD></TR></TABLE>I paid $200 at advanced and that was my second 1 from them I wont get another from them<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">?

And it doesn't work "just as good" when you have to tell people what to watch out for and what to adjust to compensate for it and even then you're not gaurunteed good results.

</TD></TR></TABLE>I didnt have to adjust my idle when I did it, but ppl with this erratic idle tend to mess with the idle screw and if they did they need to adjust it afterwards to 750 rpms at least thats what it is in my b16
Old 03-10-2006, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

why not clean the electrical connector and use dielectric grease on it - solved my iacv issues

dont put damn cardboard in there.....
Old 03-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why not clean the electrical connector and use dielectric grease on it - solved my iacv issues

QUOTE]tried that didnt work[QUOTE=pdiggitydogg]
dont put damn cardboard in there.....</TD></TR></TABLE>It works or block that air line off either way is fine u just need the coolant side of the IACV. IMO the only thing the IACV does is warm ur car up on a cold start, u can just hold the gas 4 a min on a cold start and b done using my method,anyways im just giving suggestions and saving ppl money at the same time.....Do what u want but this does work,its like having a carburetor with no choke same concept.

Thankyou have a nice day
Alllllllllllllllllllrighty then bumble b tuna....lol
Old 03-10-2006, 11:45 AM

I use to have this problem and tried this trick and the car woundn't start. Took it out and it started. I replaced IACV and still surged. I later found out it was a vaccum leak..tricky to find!
Old 03-10-2006, 11:59 AM

Default Re: (hondachris1994)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondachris1994 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It works or block that air line off either way is fine u just need the coolant side of the IACV. IMO the only thing the IACV does is warm ur car up on a cold start, u can just hold the gas 4 a min on a cold start and b done using my method,anyways im just giving suggestions and saving ppl money at the same time.....Do what u want but this does work,its like having a carburetor with no choke same concept.

Thankyou have a nice day
Alllllllllllllllllllrighty then bumble b tuna....lol</TD></TR></TABLE>The IACV also raises the idle during high load conditions at idle such as when the a/c is on and when the steering wheel is being turned.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondachris1994 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It works or block that air line off either way is fine u just need the coolant side of the IACV. IMO the only thing the IACV does is warm ur car up on a cold start, u can just hold the gas 4 a min on a cold start and b done using my method,anyways im just giving suggestions and saving ppl money at the same time.....Do what u want but this does work,its like having a carburetor with no choke same concept.

Thankyou have a nice day
Alllllllllllllllllllrighty then bumble b tuna....lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

We all know your "opinion" is ghetto to begin with. I mean, your the one who settled for a piece of cardboard as a "fix" to this issue. Plain and simple, you did not FIX the issue. You simply removed the cars ability to try to correct it on its own.

Just so you know, the IACV does a little more then just aid in the warm up process.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thankyou have a nice day
Alllllllllllllllllllrighty then bumble b tuna....lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

Great, then keep the cardboard and you keep holding down that pedal for 4mins every morning...see how old that gets real quick.
Cars need to be fixed properly...
Old 03-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Great, then keep the cardboard and you keep holding down that pedal for 4mins every morning...see how old that gets real quick.
Cars need to be fixed properly...</TD></TR></TABLE>I hold the petal dn for 60 seconds to b correct,and I never said this was a permanent fix, my IACV is $300, I like some other ppl dont have $300 to spend on IACV,BTW I have no ac or powersteering so the IACV is only warming my car up in the morning, I would rather have a temp fix then drive around with my car breathing like its out of breath all the time
Old 03-10-2006, 01:56 PM

Why would anyone that lives in Tampa remove their a/c or buy a car that doesn't have one? Don't tell me you're one of those brilliant people that remove it so you can gain 1/100 of a second on your 0-60 time.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your iacv must be made out of gold to cost $300....
Old 03-11-2006, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your iacv must be made out of gold to cost $300....</TD></TR></TABLE>Yeah its rediculous how much the dealer wants for it but the advanced 1 for $200 is ****
Old 03-11-2006, 06:42 AM

Majestic Honda has it listed for $175. Do you not check the Internet?
Old 03-11-2006, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (amckee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amckee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Majestic Honda has it listed for $175. Do you not check the Internet?</TD></TR></TABLE>they have it listed for $270 99civic SI plus shipping like I said Im goin to b payin $300 for it. Y dont u ask what motor I got first before u asume and try to make me look bad u jackass
Old 03-11-2006, 07:31 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondachris1994 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they have it listed for $270 99civic SI plus shipping like I said Im goin to b payin $300 for it. Y dont u ask what motor I got first before u asume and try to make me look bad u jackass</TD></TR></TABLE>My bad. In that case they have it for $132.54. How stupid are you?

http://www.hondaautomotivepart...84%29
Old 03-11-2006, 07:46 AM

Out of every

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amckee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My bad. In that case they have it for $132.54. How stupid are you?

http://www.hondaautomotivepart...84%29</TD></TR></TABLE>

after that i would call myself a jackass for not listening. I hate when people do this **** people are telling them whats up they get mad. dont blame us buddy you asked for help and we're telling what to do to fix it "RIGHT". if you dont like it dont come on here to ask. if the part cost 300$ like you said then you're **** out of luck then, because you need that part. so just deal with the idle till you save for it. DONE!
Old 03-11-2006, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: erratic idle fix (e gee two)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e gee two &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

". if you dont like it dont come on here to ask. </TD></TR></TABLE>for 1 I posted this to help ppl that didnt have money like that and needed a temp fix<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e gee two &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if the part cost 300$ like you said then you're **** out of luck then, because you need that part. so just deal with the idle till you save for it. DONE! </TD></TR></TABLE>I planned on it and my temp fix isnt hurting nothin haha

Old 03-11-2006, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

isn't holding the gas for a minute as soon as you start it up on a cold day horrible for the engine? You're putting the pedal down before the oil circulates and everything

Iono, I just heard it was horrible for the motor :-\

EDIT:
Maybe it's jsut me because I use heavy oil (Mobile 1 15w50)
Old 03-11-2006, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">isn't holding the gas for a minute as soon as you start it up on a cold day horrible for the engine? You're putting the pedal down before the oil circulates and everything

Iono, I just heard it was horrible for the motor :-\

EDIT:
Maybe it's jsut me because I use heavy oil (Mobile 1 15w50)</TD></TR></TABLE>hold it dn where it idles at 1500 rpms same spot it would b if the IACV was in working order
come on ppl Im not sayn floor ur car n the morning to warm it up
Old 03-11-2006, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, that's a good point, my bad
Old 03-11-2006, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, that's a good point, my bad</TD></TR></TABLE>Its ok man
my post is like america love it or leave it/try it or dont, If o dont like my post dont do it PERIOD!!!!!!