Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

erratic idle and cel question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default erratic idle and cel question

just got my d16y8 into my 1993 civic cx

1. starts up but has an erratic idle-like it has a race only cam
2. tried finding the "jumper" for the cel and can't quite locate it(or if i have not sure what it is)
3. my speedo needle bounces around like a tach-it is bouncing with the erratic idle.

setup-p28 and i wired vtec up. i am also using obd2 injectors and dizzy(rewired obviously)
also converted 1 wire o2 to 4 wire.

any help is appreciated. thanks (long day)
Old 06-25-2003, 07:14 PM

Default Re: erratic idle and cel question (mycvc8u2)

ttt
Old 06-26-2003, 04:45 AM

mornin bump
Old 07-01-2003, 05:10 PM

just went out and tried a whole bunch of stuff. i swappe dout the iacv with a newer one and checked all vacuum and connections. i found my pcv was not hooked up in the back of the block. but from the original 5 codes it is now throwing only 1(o2) and 22(vtec) but they are wired up correctly. any ideas?? car still idles the same(all over the place) and is driving me nuts. all of a sudden it is throwing me the vtec code-it's been throwing me the o2 code. don't know why gonna calm the nerves
Old 07-01-2003, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mycvc8u2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just went out and tried a whole bunch of stuff. i swappe dout the iacv with a newer one and checked all vacuum and connections. i found my pcv was not hooked up in the back of the block. but from the original 5 codes it is now throwing only 1(o2) and 22(vtec) but they are wired up correctly. any ideas?? car still idles the same(all over the place) and is driving me nuts. all of a sudden it is throwing me the vtec code-it's been throwing me the o2 code. don't know why gonna calm the nerves </TD></TR></TABLE>

92-93 hatch's all come prewired for vtec, so hopefully you didn't mess with that.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:26 PM

Default Re: erratic idle and cel question (civicdxtyper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

92-93 hatch's all come prewired for vtec, so hopefully you didn't mess with that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

only 92's came with vtec-not 93's all vx's and si's are the only ones 92-95 with vtec
Old 07-01-2003, 07:37 PM

anyone?
Old 07-02-2003, 05:58 AM

bump
Old 07-02-2003, 06:17 AM

follow these steps...
http://www.g2ic.com/forums/sho...42969
I hope this will help u
if that link does not work...
clean out ur IACV
then open up your FITV...there should be a plate u open
screw in that cream looking cap inside...
hope this helps
Old 07-02-2003, 06:23 AM

Default Re: erratic idle and cel question (EG6[B16A1])

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG6[B16A1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">]follow these steps...
http://www.g2ic.com/forums/sho...42969
I hope this will help u
if that link does not work...
clean out ur IACV
then open up your FITV...there should be a plate u open
screw in that cream looking cap inside...
hope this helps</TD></TR></TABLE>

i thought 92+ didn't have fast idle valves?? can anyone confirm or correct this?
Old 07-03-2003, 04:37 AM

well i just changed the coolant temp sensor and checked the vtec wiring and cleared the ecu as i was doing all this several times. i also found where my missing speed sensor plug was tucked away at. my speedo no longer moves(so at least i know my dizzy wiring is ok) but it is still throwing codes 10 and 22.. car still idles like **** but my friend decided to drive it. it actually drives but he says the car feels like it is holding back. he says in first gear it is a little stubborn but once it is in second it moves better but it is still holdong back-so apparently the car does rev past 3-4k rpm!! but what is the problem?? ....
my friend who is a mechanic and has been helping me out still hasn't measured the dizzy's resistance because the book i have(chilton;'s and haynes) only show the primary resistance and secondary only. nothing else inside the dizzy. can someone post this( the other things to check and their resistance?) thanks for listening..
Old 07-03-2003, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm, i just did a y8 minime in my 98 cx. For the erratic idle could be caused by the o2 sensor, are you sure you did the 1-4 coversion correctly? Also, did you run the tests on the vtec pres. switch as described in the haynes? Finally, this si stupid, but its what got me, is your firing order right? I had my firing order wrong a few times and when the firing order is wrong it will seem to be holding back. Check those things and see what you get, PM me if you need anything else.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:03 AM

Default Re: (turbotime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm, i just did a y8 minime in my 98 cx. For the erratic idle could be caused by the o2 sensor, are you sure you did the 1-4 coversion correctly? Also, did you run the tests on the vtec pres. switch as described in the haynes? Finally, this si stupid, but its what got me, is your firing order right? I had my firing order wrong a few times and when the firing order is wrong it will seem to be holding back. Check those things and see what you get, PM me if you need anything else. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well firirng order is correct for sure cuz i checked it yesterday and my o2 is wired up fine as well. haven't checked pressure switch yet-probably not till monday cuz i am going away for the 4th. i think it's my dizzy and the only reason i think it is throwing a vtec code is because of coolant. vtec runs off of engine speed, rpm, temp, and coolant temp. right?
Old 07-05-2003, 10:53 PM

Default Re: (mycvc8u2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mycvc8u2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well firirng order is correct for sure cuz i checked it yesterday and my o2 is wired up fine as well. haven't checked pressure switch yet-probably not till monday cuz i am going away for the 4th. i think it's my dizzy and the only reason i think it is throwing a vtec code is because of coolant. vtec runs off of engine speed, rpm, temp, and coolant temp. right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i put the iat on my intake and code 10 went away. but later came back on, but my idle is still fine.
vtec was fixed too, one bad connection.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:49 PM
WCI

Default Re: (mycvc8u2)

might want to check and see if you switched the plugs between the IACV and the secondary o2 plug. they are the same. that was the stupid mistake that I made.