Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion
Old 03-25-2015, 11:46 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Engine wobble, bad vibrations only when gas pedal is pressed...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine wobble, bad vibrations only when gas pedal is pressed...

So I can feel it pretty good only when pressing on the gas pedal at 40mph, then when I am at 60mph it is the worst vibrating/wobble, the harder I press the gas the more wobble/ vibrating it does.What could be the problem? What should I check?
Old 03-14-2012, 09:05 PM
EK9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Engine wobble, bad vibrations only when gas pedal is pressed...

Your motor mounts. If its not those which it probably is check your axles.

To check mounts grab the engine and try to move it
Old 03-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You know I was looking at the drivers side upper mount and the iron mount bracket that bolts to the engine is a touch loose...This part, I can move it a little so im guessing the 2 bolts at the bottom are coming out? (This pic is not one I took, just an example of what part im talking about)

Name:  simount.jpg
Views: 7812
Size:  75.1 KB
Old 03-14-2012, 09:36 PM
EK9

That or the studs are loose. Get it all tightened up and see if you still have the problem
Old 03-14-2012, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Will do, when I change the timing belt either this weekend or next definately while im in there see whats up with that bracket, imma go ahead and replace all my engine mounts too. If I still feel that bad wobble and vibrating, then im going to get new axles. Thanks alot
Old 04-23-2012, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay so I changed my timing belt and new tensioner, and I changed all 5 motor mounts and had to get another bolt for that drivers side mount bracket as shown in the pic b/c is was missing one bolt and the other one was halfway unthreaded!! Anyways the engine still wobbles when pressing the gas. I can feel it worst in last gear (automatic transmission) at 60. I have not changed the axles yet but, im wondering if it has something to do with the engine before I go and spend money on new axles,(( the ones I have look fine and there is no noise when turning... I did have one replaced a while back because it was making a clicking popping sound when turning))....it seems to be running a little rough not smooth like it should. Any other things I should test/check? Thanks
Old 04-23-2012, 09:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When was the last time your wheels were balanced and rotated? Before you go throwing more money at it, you should take 5 minutes and look at your wheel lips for any wheel weights that might be missing. It's not uncommon, and if your wheels/tires needed a lot of weight for whatever reason, that could also cause the vibration.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad axle(s)
Old 04-24-2012, 02:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
When was the last time your wheels were balanced and rotated? Before you go throwing more money at it, you should take 5 minutes and look at your wheel lips for any wheel weights that might be missing. It's not uncommon, and if your wheels/tires needed a lot of weight for whatever reason, that could also cause the vibration.
Originally Posted by furious94ls
Bad axle(s)
These are the general areas of your problem for wobbling. Tires can really affect the drive.

I remember going through this problem twice WITh my talon. Once the tires, second time wheel bearing.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got brand new wheels and balanced about a year ago. I guess around 6 months ago I had them rebalanced and they guy said everything was good nothing was off as far as balancing.

Question, wouldnt the car wobble all the time if it was the axles since they are alyways turning. I dont get how only when the gas is pressed between 40-60 you can feel it the worst. it looks like I would feel it all the time?
Old 04-24-2012, 06:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just because it was balanced 6 months ago doesn't mean weights didn't fall off. Double check them.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this EXACT problem years ago in my 94 LS Integra. Wobble at 40+mph on accel. It was a bad axle.

If it was a tire balance, it wouldnt be that noticable and usually above 60mph. Unless a rim is bent, it's your axle(s).
Old 04-24-2012, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are any boots torn on your axles/cv joints, had pretty much the same problem on my car. It was an axle with a torn boot, cleaned everything put some bearing grease and a new boot problem solved
Old 04-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wk9k
I got brand new wheels and balanced about a year ago. I guess around 6 months ago I had them rebalanced and they guy said everything was good nothing was off as far as balancing.

Question, wouldnt the car wobble all the time if it was the axles since they are alyways turning. I dont get how only when the gas is pressed between 40-60 you can feel it the worst. it looks like I would feel it all the time?
No they are only gonna vibrate bad while it is under load from the engine(while giving it gas)
40-60 is just where the axel speed and the issue causing the vibration really start to scrap, expecially under load.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive also seen newer cheaper tires ricer folk like to buy, and they seperate and cause alike symptoms.
I dont like to generally label what the fix is, as its up to the OP to diagnose, troubleshoot, repair, learn, ect. but IMO CV joint.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive checked the boots no tears everything looks okay on the outside, although I dont know if theres a way to do some kind of check inside the boot without taking off the whole axle?

Another question, can I jack the front end up, turn the car on and accellerate up to 60mph to see if it still make the bad vibrations? That way if it doesnt do it while up in the air, then maybe the weight or something could be stressing a broken worn out part and causing it to vibrate bad.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive checked the boots no tears everything looks okay on the outside, although I dont know if theres a way to do some kind of check inside the boot without taking off the whole axle?

Another question, can I jack the front end up, turn the car on and accellerate up to 60mph to see if it still make the bad vibrations? That way if it doesnt do it while up in the air, then maybe the weight or something could be stressing a broken worn out part and causing it to vibrate bad.
skulls and crossbones on that one brother, no driving the car on jackstands or a jack, with that said. It would be worthless anyways as driving with the wheels in the air does not simulate road driving conditions at all.

The axles dont have to be dry to fail, or the boot cracked or busted.
The axle can be damaged by just normal wear and tear, or shock, ect.
research how to check a cv joint for failure, im sure you can dig up a good way of checking for bad cv joints. At this point your basically checking for the one/ones that are bad.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You know I was looking at the drivers side upper mount and the iron mount bracket that bolts to the engine is a touch loose...This part, I can move it a little so im guessing the 2 bolts at the bottom are coming out? (This pic is not one I took, just an example of what part im talking about)

After this incident occurred maybe a little unwanted vibrations/stress/positioning of the motor, caused wear or contributed to the failure of the joints, its not everyday I hear of engine mounts shaking off, or backing out.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I had taken my car to a nearby "mechanic"..he was decent I thought..I had him change the passenger side.. I believe it was.. axle b/c it was clicking loudly when I was turning. It wasnt new I dont know where he got it from. Remanufactured. He did my rear main seal, and he changed my timing belt. But I think he did a rush job. Somewhat decent but couldve taken his time and done a better job. So from now on I thought, im doing everything else myself. So I noticed the engine bracket was loose on that side so I bought the tools needed to get inside to get to the bracket and while I was in there change my timing belt. Man im assuming the damn mechanic guy didnt even put the bolt back in on top I dont know why he took it out in the first place b/c no one else has worked on my car and when I got the civic it had 15,000 miles on it from the dealer. While I was looking under the car the front stabilizer bar was loose on one side because where the nut on the bottom where it has like 4 rubber grommet washers the nut on the bottom was gone allowing the bar to move up and down with slight hand pressure...I was like what the hell, what next. So I got a new nut and tightened it down. Im still searching for answers theres alot of people w/ the same prob im having, and alot of people are saying the inner cv's.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:04 PM
I serve phở for my babies

Originally Posted by furious94ls
Bad axle(s)
Old 04-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess the next project is getting brand new axles then. Then if that doesnt do it at least I can rule that out.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess the next project is getting brand new axles then. Then if that doesnt do it at least I can rule that out.
If you change the axles the problem will be gone,
With all the other solid input from others, shoot it,
cause this happens to be issues ive dealt with ailing axles and I would replace them without question and its always worked out
GL
Old 04-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What are some good new axles for this 2000 honda civic ex y8 everything is stock. I would like honda brand but they are expensive. Any other good brand that fitment is exact but is a little cheaper in price, like the ones from the normal auto part stores autozone,pep boys, advance auto parts, oriellys, any particular brand I should get? Thanks all for the replies.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any local auto parts store will sell them at a reasonable price.
I think your olds are worth a core value, So I would suggest either bringing those in at the same time as purchase, Or you just swap them out and when finished you go back with the old units and get core$
Old 04-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay Ill check around. Ill post back when I install them. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Engine wobble, bad vibrations only when gas pedal is pressed...