Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

engine wiring harness question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine wiring harness question

so im running into a bit of a problem getting my hands on the proper wiring harness.

i have a 99 coupe that had a swap done before i got the car. i reused the harness that was in there (a horrible mistake because it was all cut up) and finally decided to take it out and put in a fresh uncut harness. The harness that was in the car had two plugs coming through the firewall, and a third that came down the far right corner of the passenger kick panel to make the three that went into the ecu.

i bought a harness from a guy and he said it was from a 99 ex. when i compared the plugs at the firewall the harness i got from him had three plugs. One was identical to the one i had in the far corner passenger kick panel, the other was the blue plug, and the third did not fit into my ecu conversion harness (obd2b -> obd1 harness)

He swears up and down that the harness was from a 99. im trying to find out what harness i had in the car (1 grey and 1 blue plug). It appears to be obd2b because it goes in perfectly to my conversion harness, but a lot of the pics i find online have the three plug design.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
~Nick
Old 07-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine wiring harness question (mrjenkins)

hrmm.. its been a while.. If I remember there should be 2 grey plugs and 1 blue one.. since yours is obd2b then it should be A,B, C and D shouldnt be used since theres nothing for it.. and the Green plug should plug right up into the inside dash harness.. you have have 3 grey plugs and 1 blue then it had to be an automatic..
Old 07-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine wiring harness question (raidacaipo)

put up a picture so I can see what your talking about..
Old 07-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry for the small pics, i dont have the harness with me so i had to find them online.

what i had in the car

what i got as 99 ex and i dont need

Modified by mrjenkins at 1:00 AM 7/4/2008
Old 07-04-2008, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hrmm im not sure what your problem is.. so your saying that the 99 ex harness plugs doesnt fit or plug into your conversion harness for obd2b to obd1??? Like I said the back of the obd2b ecu plugs should be using A, B, C and there shouldnt be any pins for D. Therefore your conversion harness should be the same thing. Also Im not sure but are u doing a motor swap right now? or are you just replacing the engine harness?? You said that the car had a previous motor swap so what kind of motor was in it and are u still using the same one right now?
Old 07-04-2008, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have an obd2b -> obd1 conversion harness.

the harness i took out of the car had three plugs, two for the ecu(grey and blue) and the green one. I believe they were B and C. Then there was a wire bundle that came down the corner of the passenger kick panel that has two plugs on it, a green one and another grey. the green from the engine and the green from this bundle plugged together, and the grey plug was plug A for the ecu.

The engine harness i bought had four plugs, three for the ecu(or conversion harness) and the green one. one of the grey plugs was the same as the plug that was already in my car (the one in the corner of the passenger kick panel).

so i have four plugs, two of them are the same so i really only have three plugs.

the first pic i posted previously has three plugs and the second pic has four plugs. im just trying to find out what harness the first pic is.

im just replacing the harness.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hrmm.. that is really really wierd.. the harness in the first picture is really wierd because I only see 1 grey plug when theres suppose to be 2 grey plugs.. also you said that you can find the other grey plug on the inside of you passenger side dash?? man thats just really wierd.. the engine harness or any engine harness is suppose to come with 2 grey plugs, 1 blue, and 1 green attached as 1 harness and not in anyway attached to the dash harness.. you said that the conversion harness doesnt plug into the new 99 ex harness?? theres 2 possible reasons for this.. maybe the ex harness is not a 99 but a 96-98 or obd2a.. OR the conversion harness you have is not for obd2b=>obd1 but really for obd2a=>obd1.. take a picture of the conversion harness and take a picture of the plugs for each harness up close.. maybe I can tell..