Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine Swaps... Auto engns to manual engns have less power?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Swaps... Auto engns to manual engns have less power?

Lookin to do a b18 swap on my 95excoupe....I have heard factory automatic engines has less power than factory manual engines? Is it true, are the automatic engines tune'd differently, or even have different parts?? and if so how can i tell if someone doesn't just slap on a manual tranny on an auto engine, to rip ppl off. and Oh the fawkin swap... fawkin clueless... b18c gsr? k20A? B16??CTR, ITR?? WTF, read all the specs but can't decide for the life of me...appreciate any info! or insight
Old 11-30-2004, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Engine Swaps... Auto engns to manual engns have less power? (dgrave)

Most engines are the same; I don't think Honda would detune all their automatic cars because that would just give them more work to do for nothing. I converted my 93 EX Coupe from automatic to manual and still ran a 15.9 in the 1/4 mile with a bone stock engine and exhaust. That seems to be on par with the manuals.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine Swaps... Auto engns to manual engns have less power? (_Edge.ONE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by _Edge.ONE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Most engines are the same; I don't think Honda would detune all their automatic cars because that would just give them more work to do for nothing. .</TD></TR></TABLE> Actually automatics have a different cam profile. Because An auto tranny shifts before a 5 speed redline. There for they can get away with smaller cams which ='s less power. Only like 5 or so hp. not a huge deal. I only know this cause I called hmotors online to get a price on a b16 Long block. He said for the long blocks all they sell is auto's. Which in my opinion is better cause you know the motor hasnt been taken to 8k.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Engine Swaps... Auto engns to manual engns have less power? (MassScene)

yeah thats what i heard also about the cams being different but after i dyno'd 123whp on my d16z6 with the wastegate rod disconnected and having stock exhaust, i never cared anymore.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:38 AM

Default Re: Engine Swaps... Auto engns to manual engns have less power? (_Edge.ONE)

the power is the same. what makes an automatic slower is the fact that A) they're heavier and B) its the way the transmission works.

Performance is rather not how much power you have, but how you put the power you have on the road. Now, when you have a manual gearbox, the driver has COMPLETE control of how he/she is going to use that power by the way he/she presses on the gas, releases the clutch, and the efficiency of changing gears.

Automatic is designed for comfort. It works with pressure changing the gears for you as it see's fit. Now Auto drivers think "kick down" is the **** and makes them think it's fast but it aint. Automatics usually have 4 gears instead of 5 making the gear ratios on each gear longer and there for making it harder and taking longer for to reach the rev limit hence losing time, making it slower.

In a nutshell thats it. Different cams? never heard anything like that in my life! Swaps from Autos are better cause they have never seen 8k rpms, but then again who knows how some teenager borrowing his moms car fiddled with D3 or worse gear 2. I know I did in those days.

Oh and if you got the cash,... K20
Old 12-01-2004, 03:59 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Engine Swaps... Auto engns to manual engns have less power? (MassScene)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MassScene &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Actually automatics have a different cam profile.</TD></TR></TABLE>
From what I've seen, the cam difference only applies to B16As, H22As, and F20Bs. This is done to shift the torque curve for an improvement of low-end power in the automatic model at the expense of high-end power.

Most other engines are pretty much identical to their manual-trans counterparts, except for the obvious sensors/wiring/hoses specific to autos. Some bolt-ons may be different, but not enough to affect performance significantly.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Engine Swaps... Auto engns to manual engns have less power? (dgrave)

Yea i heard cams were diff, but thanx for the info....