Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine swap, pull trans or not.........

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap, pull trans or not.........

Hi Guys, fixing to swap stock V-Tecs in a 94 coupe. I fool mostly with manuals and have found it easier to pull the manual tranny and do the fitting outside the engine bay. But this car is an auto and was wondering is there enough room to leave the tranny in the bay and just swap motors. Seems if the torque converter will slide back some , there may be enough room to pull motor without pulling the main pulley.........you guys that have done this often, what is the least hassle.......thanks.....
Old 12-01-2011, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Engine swap, pull trans or not.........

just pull the whole thing, saves you a lot of hassle.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^what he said
Old 12-01-2011, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ AGREED
Old 12-01-2011, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks........it appears you all have been there and done that.....
Old 12-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

I feel differently. i've done several replacements like this over the years. manual trans comes out with the motor, but with the auto box it's much easier to just leave it in the chassis and pull just the engine.

OP, you're right that the converter can be slid out of the way enough. if you don't have a balancer on your hoist, get one. it makes it a one-man job (although it is easier with two).

this method saves a lot of time and effort. you don't have to touch the axles, you don't have to touch the trans mounts, you don't have to squeeze the transmission past the frame... it really is the better choice.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I have everything top side ready to pull. I am fortunate to have an engine pulling system that is better than most......since every job is a one man job for me. I will try the tranny in trick and see how it goes. I can pull the balancer if I have to , but will try leaving it in place, what do you do , Hondamark 35
Old 12-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bandit67
Ok, I have everything top side ready to pull. I am fortunate to have an engine pulling system that is better than most......since every job is a one man job for me. I will try the tranny in trick and see how it goes. I can pull the balancer if I have to , but will try leaving it in place, what do you do , Hondamark 35
oh, yes, remove the crank pulley. Also I like to take the upper exhaust manifold out first just to have a little extra clearance. i'm pretty sure it will come out with it still intact though so that's up to you.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

with and auto trans leave the trans in its easier than a manual since u have no input shaft to line up.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, race fans, here's my findings. Left the pulley on, alt. in place, and tranny in place. Took a little shaking, but it came out pretty easy. The alt. being in place caused the most problem as I was sure it was going to cut into the wiring harness the runs low in the well and does not come out with the engine. Got stuff swapped onto new engine and left off the alt. Went back in smooth as silk. Alt. would not drop in from top or slid in from bottom until I removed heavy bracket at bottom mount. On the next one I will wire up the alt and just tie it up under the intake , back out of the way. Then once motor is in place, then installed pivot bolt and tension belt. Left the ac compressor hanging the whole time, no problem, but did pull the exhaust manifold and bottom ac to block bracket. Real sweet NOT having to mess with tranny at all. Little bit more to do, but plan on firing it up in the morning.......
Old 12-02-2011, 03:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bandit67
Ok, race fans, here's my findings. Left the pulley on, alt. in place, and tranny in place. Took a little shaking, but it came out pretty easy. The alt. being in place caused the most problem as I was sure it was going to cut into the wiring harness the runs low in the well and does not come out with the engine. Got stuff swapped onto new engine and left off the alt. Went back in smooth as silk. Alt. would not drop in from top or slid in from bottom until I removed heavy bracket at bottom mount. On the next one I will wire up the alt and just tie it up under the intake , back out of the way. Then once motor is in place, then installed pivot bolt and tension belt. Left the ac compressor hanging the whole time, no problem, but did pull the exhaust manifold and bottom ac to block bracket. Real sweet NOT having to mess with tranny at all. Little bit more to do, but plan on firing it up in the morning.......
awesome.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:42 AM
Trial User

Just drop it out the bottom and put it in the same way much easier that way
Old 12-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not running yet......as I was filling the radiator with coolant a steady stream began pouring from rear side of engine. Seems the intake gasket failed and began leaking at water seal near pass. side of intake. Have replaced gasket and should fire it up soon.....