Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine swap options

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap options

So here's the skinny,I got a 94 EJ1 with a D16A,jdm engine.Yesterday the headgasket let go,I want to use this opportunity to swap the engine out for maybe another d or b series.Just for the record am in no rush to get the car running,I have another DD.My budget for a swap will be around 2k.If your asking yourself why don't I just change the hg and fix it,because the engine coolant system is plagued with corroded lines.And I don't know how many miles are really on the engine,and just the general health of the engine.Since I do live in Cali and a b series swap is a option I would like to know whats needed to get the car BAR approved and how much it would cost.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine swap options

Thoughts?
Old 02-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gsr./thread.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it were me

i'd replace the headgasket and flush the coolant system and all that... it's cheap. you can have that **** fixed for under $150.. even if there's more to it.. anyway, i say that because i love the d15b and d15a jdm engines.. i'm not sure if the d15a has the 3 stage vtec, but either way, you dont see them too often..

as far as living in cali, i have never heard ANYTHING about NOT having problems with BAR, thats also why I say stick with the d15.

that's me though, if I were to pick another engine, it'd probably be your b18's.. ls or gsr..

but really, get on google, other threads and even other forums and find the engine YOU like.. look at costs, your cali requirement bs, and pro's & con's.. no matter how many people and how many different things people tell you, you won't be happy unless you find the motor YOU want. thats why i'm saying do your research. the only thing threads like this get is "gsr./thread" haha. no offense eghatch
Old 02-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Completely stock gsr.

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
gsr./thread.
Good game heh? Take that packers avy off though and put a browns one back up.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dontoh
if it were me

i'd replace the headgasket and flush the coolant system and all that... it's cheap. you can have that **** fixed for under $150.. even if there's more to it.. anyway, i say that because i love the d15b and d15a jdm engines.. i'm not sure if the d15a has the 3 stage vtec, but either way, you dont see them too often..

as far as living in cali, i have never heard ANYTHING about NOT having problems with BAR, thats also why I say stick with the d15.

that's me though, if I were to pick another engine, it'd probably be your b18's.. ls or gsr..

but really, get on google, other threads and even other forums and find the engine YOU like.. look at costs, your cali requirement bs, and pro's & con's.. no matter how many people and how many different things people tell you, you won't be happy unless you find the motor YOU want. thats why i'm saying do your research. the only thing threads like this get is "gsr./thread" haha. no offense eghatch

I think I might try and replace the hg and see where that takes me,considering the car gets stupid good gas mileage with the D16A.Am just really concerned with the health of the engine seeing how shitty and corroded the whole cooling system is.Just trying to see what my options are if the D16 throws in the towel.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you're that worried about it, you can always rebuild the motor. you'l get a chance to open it up and learn some things, plus you'll have a nice *** engine to run with, it'd prob be cheaper (since you already got it) then a gsr or something.. maybe not straight up, but if you get a gsr who's to say thats in working condition and up to spec as well
Old 02-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This question has been answered literally thousands of times in the past 15 years. Google will produce more info than this thread will ever be capable of.

If you can't do a little research via google then don't even bother trying to do any kind of swap.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ryank327
This question has been answered literally thousands of times in the past 15 years. Google will produce more info than this thread will ever be capable of.

If you can't do a little research via google then don't even bother trying to do any kind of swap.
Thanks for the advice bro...
I've been doing plenty of research if that's what your wondering,but when I want to hear other people's opinion then this is a resource at my disposal.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From what I've personally heard, if the swap is 100% stock from "x" car into your car, and the engine is the same year or newer, you can get it BAR'd and it will be legal in CA. However I have never personally done it (although I will be sooner or later) so I can't give you specifics. If you're concerned about it being 100% legal to pass the BAR inspection, it might be wise to hire a shop to do the swap that has experience doing it for the purpose of BAR'ing.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I haven't been able to get much info about the actual BARing process,what they look for and how much it costs.