Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine Swap N a 92 HB

Old 03-05-2004, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Swap N a 92 HB

I've been into imports for awhile now, but when it comes to engines and wut to go wit I always knew what gives you major power gains(turbo, nos) but for building up an engine I dont know as much. I ve read other posts n know that it is good to go with a B18C1 or the B16A2. Which one would be the easiest to build up on a somewhat budget and still get big power gains? Also any parts or places in southern cali or northern cali (bay area) that anyone would recommend would help greatly!!! ALSO...I was wondering what you guys would do if you had between $4,000 and $5,000 to spend on an engine? That does include buying a new engine! Would you guyz spend the whole amount on an ITR or CTR or go wit the B16A2 or B18C1 and use the extra money to build it up? Also I know you guyz are always talkn about using certain heads with certain blocks. Any suggestions in this scenario? Im open to anything you have to say!! Throw it all out there and dont be shy!!
Old 03-06-2004, 01:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine Swap N a 92 HB (92PWR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92PWR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it is good to go with a B18C1 or the B16A2</TD></TR></TABLE>

At least you've read a bit before posting. Keep searching and you'll find a lot more info.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92PWR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">B18C1 or the B16A2. Which one would be the easiest to build up on a somewhat budget and still get big power gains?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're building, I'd personnally go with the B16A2.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92PWR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ALSO...I was wondering what you guys would do if you had between $4,000 and $5,000 to spend on an engine?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Doesn't sound like you're on a budget. With $5k, I'd straight drop a B18C5 (ITR) in the Civic and just add bolt-ons.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92PWR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also I know you guyz are always talkn about using certain heads with certain blocks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thinking of LS/VTEC or CRVTEC? They work great. Just make sure you or who ever does the work, does it right the first time.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92PWR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any suggestions in this scenario? Im open to anything you have to say!! Throw it all out there and dont be shy!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm a D series nut. A Z6/Y8 would be my pic. Built or boosted......or both . I like stuff to be simple and easy. If you're dead set on a B series drop and have the funds, I'd go B18B1 or B18C5......USDM of course too. I've always thought a F22B1/turbo would be nice in a EH......(2.2L, 8.1:1 CR, SOHC VTEC)......just one of my odd ideas.

All above are IMO. Good luck with your new project. Welcome to HT.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Engine Swap N a 92 HB (D16Z6racing)

B18C5 ::drool::

great reply
Old 03-06-2004, 05:38 AM

B16 ,then build
Old 03-06-2004, 06:30 AM

my suggestion would be crv-tec first and foremost it is a 2 liter and there is no replacment for good displacement , the b20 is a great platform to build on because the block is strong , can handle 300 + on stock internals , not that you would ever want to ! but it also mates very well with any b-series head , basically it is the same as ls v-tec with more tqe, and potential. the draw back would be that aftermarket bolt on are somwhat limited unless you are ready for custom made internals , however as a direct drop in , you cant go wrong ,

i have a 94 eg-6 with crv-tec and every time i get into my car theres a smile on my face !
Old 03-06-2004, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine Swap N a 92 HB (bb4lude)

yes and im sure stock rods that are meant to rev to 6 or 7 enjoy goin to 8000 or even 8500...........the best engine to get i think would be the gsr motor its a 1.8 platform= more torque than b16 and if u do decide to build up the motor there is an abundant amount of aftermarket parts.........although the b16 has aftermarket parts, i think because of the bumped up liter the gsr will repond to modifications better plus the gsr is a complete bolt in engine, the only thing i dont like about gsr is the dual butterfly valve in the intake manifold.

o and the debate about the b20 motors is the thickness of the cylinder walls.

PS. lets not turn this into another b16 vs b18 thread, and no i am not biased i rep the 1.6 liter
Old 03-06-2004, 09:01 AM

Default Re: Engine Swap N a 92 HB (Red CiViC Hatch)

Hey what do you guys think of a 2.1 liter LS/VTEC? I know you mentioned doing a LS/VTEC before. A guy told me he's building one for $3500 for the complete engine. I dont have all the specs yet, but so far wut do you guys think?
Old 03-06-2004, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'd go with a b18c5 and i'm done. are you planning on boost or N/A? the b18c1 will be a better N/A. it will also be better with boost. so i'd go with a b18c1 for both, but if i money is that much of a concern, go with the b16 boost
Old 03-08-2004, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Engine Swap N a 92 HB (jL iLLuZiOnz 9)

I know a lot of people have been saying to just drop in the B18C5, but I also heard it wont pass smog unless its USDM. But wherever I look they are all JDM. Also how much is it going to cost to swap the new engine in? Also will the place that I swap the motor buy my current motor? Im in San Diego rite now so if anyone knows of any shops that do good, accurate, full of quality work, Id appreciate it.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine Swap N a 92 HB (bb4lude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bb4lude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my suggestion would be crv-tec first and foremost it is a 2 liter and there is no replacment for good displacement , the b20 is a great platform to build on because the block is strong , can handle 300 + on stock internals , not that you would ever want to ! but it also mates very well with any b-series head , basically it is the same as ls v-tec with more tqe, and potential. the draw back would be that aftermarket bolt on are somwhat limited unless you are ready for custom made internals , however as a direct drop in , you cant go wrong ,

i have a 94 eg-6 with crv-tec and every time i get into my car theres a smile on my face ! </TD></TR></TABLE>

The block is strong huh? Care to elaborate how you can manage 300 + on stock internals?
Old 03-08-2004, 05:36 PM

i have a 92 hatch as well and i put a b18c1 in it. it's fun to drive. i would recomend it and it has alot of potential. it's kinda a bitch getting it into the rear motor mount though. haha. well mine was. k good luck
Old 03-08-2004, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine Swap N a 92 HB (hybr1d_rac3r)

id say b18c5 great motor and hauls ***... have you thought about a h22?? the torque is amazing and tremendous power... if you got 5 grand you should have enough to drop it in... but if you dont want the hassle of the h22... go with the itr
Old 03-08-2004, 06:13 PM
Trial User

Get the GSR, and if your willing to save up, get turbo.

or if ur not really gona build it, jus go with the stock ITR
Old 03-08-2004, 06:16 PM

Default Re: (AL ASPIRATED)

are you planning on getting a legit motor? with that much money you can get a "borrowed" gsr and have money to get turbo or if your plannin to stay n/a then you'll have about 3500 to do whatever with. just a thought
Old 03-08-2004, 06:23 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (hybr1d_rac3r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybr1d_rac3r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you planning on getting a legit motor? with that much money you can get a "borrowed" gsr and have money to get turbo or if your plannin to stay n/a then you'll have about 3500 to do whatever with. just a thought</TD></TR></TABLE>

What the **** is that supposed to mean?
Old 03-08-2004, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine Swap N a 92 HB (b20_EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b20_EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The block is strong huh? Care to elaborate how you can manage 300 + on stock internals? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually there are stock motor b16 and b18 turboes running around with stock motors well into the 300 hundred range. Tuning the car allows it to run efficiently(nice set-up wouldn't hurt either).

I was refering to the 2.0/vtec because it is a 2.0 liter block, the cylinder walls are thinner than that of the B series vtec motors developed at that time.

I don't know anyone personally with a b20 vtec swap, so if anyone with one here can tell us if the car is reliable as a daily driver, i would say yes depending on how the car was built and driven but how reliable is the frankenstein motor?
Old 03-08-2004, 06:42 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybr1d_rac3r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you planning on getting a legit motor? with that much money you can get a "borrowed" gsr and have money to get turbo or if your plannin to stay n/a then you'll have about 3500 to do whatever with. just a thought</TD></TR></TABLE>

<FONT SIZE="7">BANNED</FONT>

I gave it some thought and I decided that I knew exactly what you meant by "borrowed" when you told him to consider that an option instead of a legit engine.

You're exactly the reason peoples' hard work and money get stolen every day. By supporting thieves you are no better than the thieves themselves.

I have your I.P adress, so if you bother registering again I'll know and I'll delete any accounts from now on with your I.P addy.

Old 03-08-2004, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

Thank you Tom.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have your I.P adress, so if you bother registering again I'll know and I'll delete any accounts from now on with your I.P addy.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Awsome
Old 03-08-2004, 07:33 PM
Trial User

People like this have no respect for people for others. I hate people like this.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:22 PM

Default Re: (AL ASPIRATED)

Damn that guy is krazy! I didnt even know what the hell he was talking about "borrowed". that is something I would defiantly not do. I know it was mentioned of throwing a H22A into the civic. That is something that I am considering of doing, because I know I will get tons of stock power and torque. Any thoughts of this swap anyone?
Old 03-08-2004, 10:30 PM

Default Re: (92PWR)

I think an H22 would definetly be a choice. I can't really say how much more difficult it is than a B series, or whats all involved. But that thing would definetly haul *** with all the Torque/HP that motor has.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:16 AM

Default Re: (BucsJosh)

actually i have a b20 v-tec with stock internals , just a moroso oil pan , the top end is built up , but nothing major just cams and valve springs , but i also have a zex kit with a 50 shot and my car runs strong so f--k the b2o haters , i think that it is the best platform to work with !
Old 03-16-2004, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

can i borrow your motor i'll give you .50 centes a day?............you sir are a god damn idiot
Old 03-16-2004, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You're exactly the reason peoples' hard work and money get stolen every day. By supporting thieves you are no better than the thieves themselves.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

GOOOODDDDD WWOORRRKKKK....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Swap N a 92 HB