Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine swap in california. Pointless?

Old 07-14-2009, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Engine swap in california. Pointless?

Originally Posted by farkiller View Post
Screw it man im done with this, im not gonna bother fixing my car up. Im just gonna save up for an EVO or something.

LOL dude this is your second Thread on the same subject and everyone is telling you the exact same thing.

you either swap in watever motor makes you happy and deal with the illegal smogs every year (which isn't difficult, trust me, ask around and see if your buddies knows someone who can do a smog i't easier than u may think) and possible getting tickets for the swap.

OR

you swap in a CA legal swap like everyone has said numerous times on here and get it ref'd by the BAR and your good to go.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:33 AM

I know my 90 EF sedan with a 95 SOHC VTEC will pass smog. I got major connects if you need some dirty work done. Sometimes its not what you know...its who you know.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:54 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Big Skeet3817 View Post
I know my 90 EF sedan with a 95 SOHC VTEC will pass smog. I got major connects if you need some dirty work done. Sometimes its not what you know...its who you know.
Thats the problem. I dont know anyone, and I can't just go to a shop and offer money for an illegal smog, they will most likely report me to save their butt.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just put in a USDM GSR motor.
Using the Japanese motor will not be legal, its only legal if its considered "direct replacement", so a GSR owner can swap in a Japanese GSR motor, but not a civic.

USDM engine swaps aren't that difficult to find and using all USDM engine parts and smog equipment will keep you legal.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:06 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Just put in a USDM GSR motor.
Using the Japanese motor will not be legal, its only legal if its considered "direct replacement", so a GSR owner can swap in a Japanese GSR motor, but not a civic.

USDM engine swaps aren't that difficult to find and using all USDM engine parts and smog equipment will keep you legal.
Im trying to find a site to buy used USDM motors but cant. I am also thinking mabey get the USDM EK9 type-r b16b (97-01 I believe)
Old 07-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can buy a whole integra GSR sometimes for less than you can buy a swap.
I've seen ads for them for under $3000 for 95-97 integra's.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im trying to find a site to buy used USDM motors but cant. I am also thinking mabey get the USDM EK9 type-r b16b (97-01 I believe)
Wait, What? LOL there's no USDM EK9 Type-R the B16B is a JDM motor!! LOL They never made a USDM EK9 Type-R? or imported I should say.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by EK2.0 View Post
Wait, What? LOL there's no USDM EK9 Type-R the B16B is a JDM motor!! LOL They never made a USDM EK9 Type-R? or imported I should say.
I know, ****. So looks like my best option is the USDM GSR or the USDM Type-r b18
Old 07-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Vietnamese!

Anything is possible.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by raidacaipo View Post
I dont think the k20a2's are legal. Well if it is then its going to be really hard for it to pass and get a bar sticker. Why? the k20a2 ecus do NOT work with the vehicle your swapping it into. Your going to need to get it reflashed with the original keys off the donor engine if you still have it. Meaning bringing it to a dealer and really convincing them to reflash the ecu for you in order for it to work on your transplant. Most people will go Kpro and that will definitely not pass bar. I havent seen 1 96-00 civic bard k20a2 swap yet and I live in SOCAL

besides there are alot of modifications to be done in order to transplant a k20a2 in your civic. Cutting, welding, relocating, modifying all will ultimately lead to a fail whereas swapping a B series is much easier and direct bolt on therefore easier to bar and pass smog
Its been done, I seen an eg hatch with a k20a2 barred and smog legal. He had to have the rsx gas tank and some other smog parts too. The guy even put the rsx dash in his hatch.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:06 PM

Screw it man im done with this, im not gonna bother fixing my car up. Im just gonna save up for an EVO or something.

Evos are gay....save up for a real car...like a NSX
Old 07-14-2009, 04:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I just called eastside muffler near my city, and they said they ONLY sell JDM engines and my best bet would be to go to a junk yard.....
Old 07-14-2009, 08:29 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Is anyone in the process of doing a swap?
Old 07-15-2009, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few of you guys here are hilarious. I have a JDM GSR motor and swapped into my 97 Civic hatch. It's BAR certified on the FIRST try. Honda-Tech is a great resource for information, so use it. I didn't know anyone doing swaps nor giving me info and I managed to pull this off. A great site to read as well before or during your swap is ff-squad, google it. Seriously, It is NOT that difficult to swap a JDM motor and to pass BAR in California. I can help if you need.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zerovandez View Post
A few of you guys here are hilarious. I have a JDM GSR motor and swapped into my 97 Civic hatch. It's BAR certified on the FIRST try. Honda-Tech is a great resource for information, so use it. I didn't know anyone doing swaps nor giving me info and I managed to pull this off. A great site to read as well before or during your swap is ff-squad, google it. Seriously, It is NOT that difficult to swap a JDM motor and to pass BAR in California. I can help if you need.
When did you get it BAR'd?
I have heard they have been changing their rules on Japanese engines this year.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:09 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by zerovandez View Post
What are you talking about? You cant put a JDM engine in your car in CA unless it was meant for it.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

took me 9months and 5trys but i eventually passed my jdm gsr in mt 98 hatch
Old 07-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

New laws that were imposed in the beginning of this year. You can't put a JDM engine into your car unless it's replacing the engine that was meant to be in the car i.e. putting a JDM GSR into a GSR. You cannot put a JDM engine into a car that didn't have the engine as an option. You must use a USDM engine now. You can put a USDM engine from a car that was offered during the same year. For instance, you have a 96-97 or 99-00 Civic, you can put a B16 from a Del Sol Si and a B16 from a 99-00 Si into your car without having to get it BAR'd because it was an engine option offered during those years. (You 98 guys are assed out) As far as the smogging, once you use a USDM to get it BAR'd, drop the JDM in. You only need to go to the referee once. After that, just go to a smog shop that doesn't check everything completely and you should be good.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by esoomenona View Post
New laws that were imposed in the beginning of this year. You can't put a JDM engine into your car unless it's replacing the engine that was meant to be in the car i.e. putting a JDM GSR into a GSR. You cannot put a JDM engine into a car that didn't have the engine as an option. You must use a USDM engine now. You can put a USDM engine from a car that was offered during the same year. For instance, you have a 96-97 or 99-00 Civic, you can put a B16 from a Del Sol Si and a B16 from a 99-00 Si into your car without having to get it BAR'd because it was an engine option offered during those years. (You 98 guys are assed out) As far as the smogging, once you use a USDM to get it BAR'd, drop the JDM in. You only need to go to the referee once. After that, just go to a smog shop that doesn't check everything completely and you should be good.
I have a 97 civic. From reading your comment, I know I can drop in a b16a motor from the donor car of either a 96-97 del sol or a 99-00 civic. But none of 98 because no new engine was manufactured for that year of a model. Can I drop in a usdm 98-01 integra b18c1? or can I only replace it with a b16a2-b16a3?
Old 07-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Vietnamese!

Welcome to California.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What are you talking about? You cant put a JDM engine in your car in CA unless it was meant for it.
dude have you been reading your own thread? it seems like this thread is pointless.. have you ever thought about how long ago he must have done this? as already stated my friend still has a bar'd b18c JDM gsr in his civic. It was from 3 years ago. The laws changed now of this year around march or april. Stop complaining about not being able to swap in motors because its not that hard to do and its not that hard to get a usdm motor.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Howcome we park on driveways, and drive on parkways?

god....what would i do?

You can legally get and burn the best cheeba there is to offer......

but you cant swap a motor?

damn........ i dont think i could move there
Old 07-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same dillema, but sometimes you can't live by the rules to have fun. It's not an easy choice to make, but as people have said on here, there are ways around the rules, i.e. smog. Just do whatever makes you happy while having a nice little extra lump of money for if/when sh*t hits the fan. I ended up going JDM ITR in my EM1, and trust me, it's worth every bit of worrying.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Si-Yaaa! View Post
I ended up going JDM ITR in my EM1, and trust me, it's worth every bit of worrying.
I wouldn't take that chance but I'm glad you are happy. It's nice living in a place with no worries at all except for theft.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my cousin has a jdmb16 in a 2000 civic si. passes smog and everything.. I guess its a direct replacement.. not too sure.. He still has all the emissions parts from the original b16a2 though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine swap in california. Pointless?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: